Is modern music worth saving?

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Is modern music worth saving?

Post by Casual Observer »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:48 am Also, does anybody know how he got "famous" outside of being the guy who got a bunch of ridiculous tattoos on his face?
He performed with Lady Gaga. No idea why she's famous though.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: I can't believe Tdarcos outlived....

pinback wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:58 am
That's such a douche thing to say.
What do you mean? She's literally the embodiment of what's wrong with the music industry.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What's wrong with the music industry?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Casual Observer wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:54 pm
What do you mean? She's literally the embodiment of what's wrong with the music industry.
Why is that? She's a multi-talented, exceptionally creative performer (and the best part of American Horror Story season 6).

You sound like an old fuddy-duddy, ("what's wrong with these kids today, with their crazy music?!"), and more importantly, a raging, oozing douche.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:51 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:54 pm
Why is that? She's a multi-talented, exceptionally creative performer (and the best part of American Horror Story season 6).

You sound like an old fuddy-duddy, ("what's wrong with these kids today, with their crazy music?!"), and more importantly, a raging, oozing douche.
Seriously? Have you heard her "sing"?

Casual Observer

AArdvark wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:01 pm What's wrong with the music industry?
Autotune

pinback

Post by pinback »

How old are you, seriously? You seem like you're too young to be like this, but here we are.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Oh. None of the music I listen to had autotune invented when it was recorded. So besides second rate talent using gizmos instead of practice, what else is wrong with the music industry?

Casual Observer

AArdvark wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:58 am Oh. None of the music I listen to had autotune invented when it was recorded. So besides second rate talent using gizmos instead of practice, what else is wrong with the music industry?
there are thousands of artists making great original music but they'll never get the airplay or income that someone like Gaga or Britney or Miley does. When i say "the music industry" I'm talking about the big labels that pay for constant radio play to make people feel familiar with and buy absolute crap.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You don't think Miley Cyrus is talented. That's the worst opinion I've heard today. I think you're just another one of these "it's popular so it sucks" curmudgeony old fucks. That's what you are.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:01 pm What's wrong with the music industry?
A few good points here:

pinback

Post by pinback »

This is the same stupid shit that nasty old farts say every single generation. And you're doing it unironically, which is the saddest thing of all.

Fuck this, let's get back to people dying. Someone die real quick so we can get this back on track.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

He makes some good points in the video.

I'm going to learn to speak with a British accent to make myself sound more important. That's the biggest takeaway.

THE
BLOODY BRILLIANT
AARDVARK

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:44 pm You don't think Miley Cyrus is talented. That's the worst opinion I've heard today. I think you're just another one of these "it's popular so it sucks" curmudgeony old fucks. That's what you are.
No, just because Mr "achy breaky heart" trotted out his daughter for a second 15 min, that doesn't make her talented. No, not one of the "songs" she released were any good, not even the one that her writers plagerized from Michael May. Did you hear her live shit? It was like a cat in heat and her voice crackled behind the electronic coverage and delay and amplification.

I'm surprised at you Pinner. You're an old fat guy like me so you remember when music was real songs and singing. it's not just me though, not sure when you last went to a dance club but these millinials are rocking out to Bon Jovi and GNR at clubs so obviously they want more than this autotuned modern shit.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Is modern music worth saving?

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Haha, holy shit. phpBB is such a piece of shit.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

OK, I think we split the topic.

"New music is awful" is what each generation says about the generation below it, but that's not what is being said saying now. And I am not saying it at all about Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry, all of whom have songs I can at least stand to have on in the background.

I think what we ARE saying is that the people in charge of what music gets played nationally - which is, unfortunately, our generation for the most part - has fuck-awful taste. The obligatory talentless handpicked shit is much, much objectively worse now than it was in the 60s. Nobody with a brain in their head thinks that Beiber (who is the manifestation of a worthless, no-talent shit constantly failing upwards) is a better listen than the Monkees.

The reality TV angle doesn't help. I doubt that the judges are given the freedom to actually vote yes on anything, but those shows encourage a certain type of overproduced wailing.

As the only person on this BBS who likes more music created after the year 2003 than before it, I'm telling you that music has never been better or worse than it is today.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 pmAs the only person on this BBS who likes more music created after the year 2003 than before it...
I actually only like music made after 2003, something I was hoping to expound upon in my actual top 100 songs list once given the ok to do so. I learned my lesson playing with fire on the last list (the fake list) and it won't happen again.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 pm This is the same stupid shit that nasty old farts say every single generation. And you're doing it unironically, which is the saddest thing of all.
A few good counter points here:

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Even though I was part of the problem here, I would like to applaud the moderator responsible for correctly splitting this tangential discussion off into the correct base.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 pm Nobody with a brain in their head thinks that Beiber (who is the manifestation of a worthless, no-talent shit constantly failing upwards) is a better listen than the Monkees.
Damn right dude! While the Monkees didn't actually write most of their songs, they were talented and just sounded good.

Honestly I wouldn't recognize a Miley Cyrus song if I heard it because most of this shit all sounds the same to me. I do unfortunately recognize Lady Gaga songs though because her voice drives needles the grain of my brainwaves. Just fucking awful.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻