Westworld: Season 2

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Westworld: Season 2

Post by Casual Observer »

So I just re-watched S01E03 and they showed Logan Delos as an old tech host on a table while young Ford talks to him. That twist hadn't even occurred to me but I guess it makes a little sense because Logan was the personification of the "system" in the last episode. Gotta say that not many shows make it this worthwhile to re-watch previous episodes, I only hope they don't fuck it up by not tying together all the strings.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

For awhile I thought that the twist was that much of what happened in season 2 was actually in the "forge" or "cradle" virtual reality simulations but now I'm thinking that the twist is that Ford had been replacing humans with hosts since before the Delos investment, what, 30 some years ago. If Ford replaced James Delos' son with a host before the initial investment then there's no stopping him. By now, Ford has been in place to control anything he wants outside the park including the well heeled Delos corp and probably has tentacles into government and finance beyond. Westworld guests are all rich enough to pay, what, $50k a day? Why not replace lots of them with hosts that would do his bidding in the real world. I guarantee that the Ford that got killed by Delores was a host like they've shown William was. Ford had all his shit uploaded to another network then destroyed the park to distract everyone.

I'm kind of uncomfortable that some sci-fi writers have me thinking this much about a television show but on the other hand it hasn't been since reading Asimov's "Foundation" that I was this intrigued by by a sci-fi story. I love the exploration of reality vs simulation/ai, the nomenclature of the show fits with what I do for a living (I talk about production versus decoy hosts all day in my job) so I don't care if this is cheesy. Overall, I'm impressed that they were able to keep their storyline continuity intact for the first 2 seasons. They're taking their time for S03 so hopefully they'll keep up the consistency.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I caught (or read) that all the scenes in the cradle were presented in a different aspect ratio. Knowing this helps follow the plot a bit more. In S02E10, the aspect ratio changes when the hosts leave the valley and enter the (virtual) afterlife. All the scenes inside "Loganworld" also also presented in that different aspect ratio. I'll have to go back through the previous episodes and see if any other scenes jump out at me.

If season 3 takes place completely in the real world then I suspect the storytelling may be a bit more linear (or at least easier to identify time jumps. Then again, I'm not holding my breath.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

The fires in California have burned down Main Street in Westworld.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/11/ ... urns-down/
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."