Asteroids

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Asteroids

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I had all my games working for one week before Asteroids blew a transistor.

I'd rather kill myself than work on a vector monitor again, going to see if I can pay someone to fix it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Re: Asteroids

Post by pinback »

RIP RYE
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RYE will live! I got a hold of a tech that helped me with Tempest and he said he would come next week. This won't affect the high scores.

ALSO. I bought a kit that will allow me to play Asteroids Deluxe. There is a way to save scores, I just have to read up on how to do it. Then that game would be able to play both. The rocks, sir, shall spin.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I was excited about this repair, but I have to admit I've turned a corner. Sorry, old friend. Pinback has successfully convinced me that every single game from that era was garbage, and Billy Mays eloquent argument that "these games crap" really won me over.

Black and white games where straight lines represent asteroids no longer do it for me, chum. Two teraflops of graphic data per 3D model or GTFO.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy's taste in games is at least equal to his taste in music.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Wait.. How many of your cabinets have vector monitors? Those are a real pain to replace, I've heard.

THE
VERY FAST
ETCH A SKETCH
AARDVARK

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 am Billy's taste in games is at least equal to his taste in music.
I think it's unfair that you're attacking my taste in music here considering the fact that you locked my thread right around the time that my view count surpassed that of yours. I feel that the only fair thing to do would be for you to allow me to create a new list in that base "Billy Mays' Actual Top 100 Songs" and let the general public decide who has the better taste in music. Also, River Raid is dope.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:45 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 am Billy's taste in games is at least equal to his taste in music.
I think it's unfair that you're attacking my taste in music here considering the fact that you locked my thread right around the time that my view count surpassed that of yours. I feel that the only fair thing to do would be for you to allow me to create a new list in that base "Billy Mays' Actual Top 100 Songs" and let the general public decide who has the better taste in music. Also, River Raid is dope.
I don't remember locking that thread. I do remember you running out of songs and putting a bunch of pro-American ones to get to 100 right after Trump won. He's been doing a great job, by the way. I'm okay with people not having enough content to fill out one of these threads, that's OK, and you ended it as well as you could given the circumstances. While I don't remember locking the thread, it is the sort of thing that people remember if it's done to you, so I will take your word for it.

Musical taste is very interesting to me. It seems like many of you want to make it this whole thing, but your arguments are going to come down to, "I don't like pop punk" in which case, great, but you can't argue someone out of that. It's why I titled my thread Favorites instead of declaring it a definitive list like I did with the games 10 years ago.

Every one likes River Raid and it's correct of you to come down on that side. I think we got off on the wrong foot for the 2600 discussion. 380 of the games created for the 2600 out of whatever the total was are unplayable nonsense intended to act as a babysitter for children. That's common ground I believe all of us would agree to. I mean, look at Donkey Kong for the 2600. One of the greatest games ever made it and looks like the insipid schizo scrawlings of a lunatic that learned Assembly. It's probably the only game in the world with worse graphics than A Crimson Spring.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:13 pmI don't remember locking that thread.
I don't care about you locking that thread, that was in the past, the important thing now is you allowing me my new list.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:22 am I don't care about you locking that thread, that was in the past, the important thing now is you allowing me my new list.
I believe we can accommodate you on that.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Allow me to begin the reconciliation process by stating that the 2600 is a better console than the xbox one, I know that's not saying much but it's a start.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:11 am I was excited about this repair, but I have to admit I've turned a corner. Sorry, old friend. Pinback has successfully convinced me that every single game from that era was garbage,
That's not what I said. I was talking only about VCS games. Of course Asteroids and Robotron are the two greatest games of all time. What?

Flack

Post by Flack »

They were good for the technology we had available at the time, sure.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I AM PINBACK AND I APOLOGIZE.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I feel that this topic tore us apart. Which is good, because our team having a working Asteroids machine is the glue that holds us together.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The tech came and fixed it. It's back to working and he made the area that the gameplay takes up on the monitor larger.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm The tech came and fixed it. It's back to working and he made the area that the gameplay takes up on the monitor larger.

Man I wish I could make it back to that room!

So what was the issue with the monitor?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

He said that there were cold solder joints. After 39 years I can accept that some of the solder might have retracted a little. I believe there were a couple of other improvements he said he made but I can't recall what it was. I would expect that barring disaster the thing will be good until I die. It's a rock.

pinback

Post by pinback »

It is, in fact, several.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Your scores are still there. You didn't really think we'd lose them, did you? We will never lose them.