Atlanta trip

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Atlanta trip

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

In this thread, we take questions about ICJ's trip to Atlanta which I feel will be at the end of July. I will be seeing ChainGangGuy and gsdgsd on this adventure.

First question - have I bought the ticket yet? I have not! I will do so this weekend.

Second question - what are your goals? Glad you asked. I am going to try to scout locations that would make for good fun in a future graphical text adventure, but the less said about the specifics the better.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Re: Atlanta trip

Post by Tdarcos »

1. CNN Center - 1 CNN Center
2. Coca-Cola headquarters (this building looks like a bank instead of a bottling plant, but has their logo on top) - 310 North Avenue, NW
3. World of Coca-Cola museum. A smaller 4-story building with the "coke" ball in front of it - 121 Baker Street NW
4. Dixie Coca-Cola bottling plant - 125 Edgewood Ave SE
5. Centennial Olympic Park - 265 Park Avenue West NW
6. Mercedes Benz Stadium - 1 Amb Dr NW
7. Fox theatre - 660 Peachtree St NE
8. Martin Luther King Jr. home - 450 Auburn Ave NE / The King Center - 449 Auburn Ave NE
9. The Tabernacle - 152 Luckie St NW
10. Buckhead (typical glass office building/hotel but has a diagonal "slash" connecting the two sides) - 3060 Peachtree Rd NW
11. Georgia State Capitol - 206 Washington St SW, Capitol Square, Room 214
12. Governor's Mansion - 391 W Paces Ferry Rd NW

These all look interesting and are probably worth getting your own stills and video.

There is a thing called Citypass Atlanta that provides for discounted tickets for some places and events.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

None of those were questions.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Did Tdarcos just put together a HOST of interesting locations for me in Atlanta? For the hell of it? That's amazing!

Paul, you are the MVP of June 2018 after three days. Thanks, pal!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah great job Paul!

I'd add this place http://www.silversprings.com/glass-bottom-boats/ as I was dragged there as a kid but actually really enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as the double log flume ride at Six Flags over Georgia, but close! Good place to take swamp pictures.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Are you planning on doing something like that? Six Flags or a swamp tour? Or just eh.. mainly hitting bars and restaurants or whatever it is grown people do in Atlanta?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

You'll find lots of neat things to take pictures of in Atlanta.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

There are lots of bars here! And the College Football Hall of Fame. And other stuff.

I dunno what sort of photographic subjects you're looking for, but let me know if you need any ideas. There used to be loads of spooky/ominous abandoned stuff around, but it's mostly been turned into shops or condos in the past decade.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The flight has been purchased! It is too late for me to send a text to these good men so I shall do that tomorrow.
I dunno what sort of photographic subjects you're looking for, but let me know if you need any ideas. There used to be loads of spooky/ominous abandoned stuff around, but it's mostly been turned into shops or condos in the past decade.
Welll a giant pink panther statue, of course, but it looks like you guys are set there. Creepy, spooky and ominous are GOOD. Great, even. I'll have the roughest of outlines when it comes to locations I want to get, but I'll throw all of that work away to incorporate a great ominous scene. I'll look like a dork carrying around 30 pounds of camera equipment but beyond that anything photogenic works.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Atlanta has a pretty active urban exploration network. Technically it's trespassing, but some of these locations look great.
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/cooles ... it-atlanta

I've been to Atlanta half a dozen times, and other than a couple of giant Pink Panthers in front of a business named FLACK'S, I got nothing. I can tell you that Alpharetta has an unusual concentration of sushi restaurants (all good) along with a great Chicago-style place, and the Flying Biscuit makes some damn good grits. If the topic of your new game is places I've packed on a few pounds, I got you covered.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

That bridge - #3 on the list Flack posted - is one of the coolest things I've seen around here. I'm glad to see it's still standing - it's been more than a decade since my visit to it and I don't get to that part of town too much.

This abandoned mansion is also pretty neat:

http://www.emory.edu/EMORY_REPORT/stori ... nsion.html

Similarly, it's been more than a decade since I went over there, but at the time I was able to just stroll on in and poke around. It's probably a bit tighter now. The university has been doing some work on the property, and some film stuff has been shot there.

If you need graves, Oakland Cemetery is pretty cool.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

How long will you be in the Atlanta area to visit both myself and gsdgsd?

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have done a terrible job telling you and Greg that. I will get you both that info ASAP.

In the meantime I am also looking at photo studio rental so we can do some inside work with the star of our show.

This one was the first one that popped up: https://studiospaceatl.com/studio-1-rates/

Ice Cream Jonsey

This seems to be $25 an hour, which is by far the cheapest I've ever seen for a studio with a cyc wall:

http://weldonbondstudios.com/

Tdarcos

ria's bluebird atlanta

Post by Tdarcos »

I saw a video about the 10 best diners in America. At #8 is Ria's Bluebird, 421 Memorial Dr., SE, Atlanta, considered to be one of the best places to eat, and the New York Times reported customers thought the pancakes are the best in the country. They have their own recipe in which the batter is made by hand including mixing, and the buttermilk pancakes use vanilla and actual buttermilk. For better results the flour is cake batter instead of pancake batter.

So, since you're visiting Atlanta here's one place you should visit. On the video below the piece on Ria's begins at about 9:09.

- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Buttermilk pancakes always use actual buttermilk. That is why they are called buttermilk pancakes. Also the phrase "the flour is cake batter instead of pancake batter" makes no sense.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm Buttermilk pancakes always use actual buttermilk. That is why they are called buttermilk pancakes. Also the phrase "the flour is cake batter instead of pancake batter" makes no sense.
Actually it probably said "cake flour instead of pancake flour."
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm Buttermilk pancakes always use actual buttermilk.
Oh, nobody ever uses powdered buttermilk, the way some people will use powdered milk?
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:27 pm
pinback wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm Buttermilk pancakes always use actual buttermilk. That is why they are called buttermilk pancakes. Also the phrase "the flour is cake batter instead of pancake batter" makes no sense.
Actually it probably said "cake flour instead of pancake flour."
What do you mean "it probably said"? YOU said it. It was in your post one page up. And there is no such thing as "pancake flour".

Ice Cream Jonsey

I appreciate Paul bumping the thread.

Gerrit - I do want to give you a call. I am finally taking a few days off starting now. I'll give you a call and we can catch up on things.

gsdgsd: I understand completely (in terms of what your last text said) and I cannot tell you how psyched I am to have a beer with you and see how you and your family is doing, if I am allowed around your family. /reads past posts on here - I .. I understand if you'd like to hide.