WTF is up with animation these days?

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

WTF is up with animation these days?

Post by Casual Observer »

For awhile I've been feeling sorry for kids growing up after we did because it seems like kid cartoons have gone to shit after the 80's. Seems like nothing but stupid concepts and silly characters. Nothing of the quality of Transformers, Gi-Joe, He-man, Voltron, or Thundercats. But now they're doing re-boots of those and fucking them up too. The Netflix Voltron was ok: similar animation but just not the same magic (or maybe I've changed too).

But the new Thundercats looks to be just a travesty. What the fuck is up with this animation style? You can't even tell that they are human felines. Where's the muscle tone? Why call something Thundercats when it's drawn like Dora the explorer or spongebob? Feeling sorry for kids today, that's all.

Vs

Flack

Re: WTF is up with animation these days?

Post by Flack »

The worse part is, this is what kids want and like. Ask 'Vark or ICJ -- I've got more 80s cartoons stored on my home media server than most television stations ever saw... and I still can't get my kids to watch them. Put on Dungeons and Dragons and they'll disappear quicker than Dungeon Master. Put on He-Man or G.I. Joe and they'll be out of the room before the first commercial break, and anything that's remotely slow moving like Scooby Doo will have them snoring before the Mystery Machine stops for the night. Then you flip channels and the minute you cross Doc McStuffins they beg you to stop. It's terrible.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

The 80s cartoons you all remember so fondly were awful, and you are just falling into a nostalgia trap. Fucking He-Man? Terrible. I remember it because I knew when it came on, it was time to go to school, and I was thankful, because that meant I didn't have to watch fuckin He-Man.

Any random show on Cartoon Network (the kid version, not Adult Swim) is smarter, funnier, and ten times more enjoyable than any of the terrible old cartoons you have listed here.

Thank you.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

pinback wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:19 am The 80s cartoons you all remember so fondly were awful, and you are just falling into a nostalgia trap. Fucking He-Man? Terrible. I remember it because I knew when it came on, it was time to go to school, and I was thankful, because that meant I didn't have to watch fuckin He-Man.

Any random show on Cartoon Network (the kid version, not Adult Swim) is smarter, funnier, and ten times more enjoyable than any of the terrible old cartoons you have listed here.

Thank you.
I have one show that will fuck up your entire argument about 80's cartoons:
Star Blazers

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Whatever pinback.

He-Man was a great show, but I think you had to have imagination to enjoy it to the fullest with the toys and all. I even liked She-ra. Where I drew the line was Bravestar. That show was just plain dumb. I tried watching that reboot of He-Man and as soon as I heard Skeletor's lame voice I turned it off. Snorks were dumb. I remember being mad as a kid that it was never on when I was watching TV and then when I finally caught it I was like "Wow, this really sucks." Some G.I. Joe episodes were good.. some were boring. I never missed Dungeons N Dragons. I really loved that show.

I would say MOST modern cartoons are crap. Spongebob is pretty funny. That CGI Pac-Man thing that comes on can be kind of amusing.

This really is a head-scratcher for me because as a kid I loved cartoons that were made before I was even born, even if they were black & white.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well, I'm gonna show my age here (and IQ) because I used to watch Hong Kong Phooey and Jabberjaw. I never knew at that age they were just cartoon versions of adult shows.

I could not tell you what adult show Thundarr the barbarian was based on.

P.S. Star Blazers was pretty cool.

THE
FIRE THE WAVE MOTION
AARDVARK!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm pretty sure Thundarr was D&D mixed with Star Wars.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah Thundarr was kind of odd. I kind of viewed it as the "Gobots" version of He-Man.

Never watched Star Blazers that I remember (Space Battleship Yamato) but I did really enjoy Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z) and Voltron.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

"My 8 year old kids have been born into a different culture than 8 year old me and hence like different childish amusements!" HOLY FUCK SON CALL PRESIDENT NINJA.

Seriously, as someone who watched 80s cartoons they all suck. Even the 90s ones suck.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Prepare to be "whatevered", THE. Happens to the best of us.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"Whatever" to both of you. And president ninja.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

In Robert A. Heinlein's "To Sail Beyond the Sunset," a young man asks his mother, "How come the [video telephones] here in Kansas City are all [standard definition]? The ones in Dallas are all [4K]." His mother replies, "Donald, whenever you ask a question beginning with 'Why do they?' or 'Why don't they?' the answer is almost always 'money'."

The animation is made simpler and the action faster because it's cheaper to do it that way, the kids like the pacing better, which turns into higher ratings.

Soft drinks up until the mid-1980s used sugar until the manufacturers found high fructose corn syrup was cheaper, sweeter, and most customers either didn't notice or liked it better.

Since the new format produces a cheaper product and more customers - 4-year-olds - like it, they're just going where the money is.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I only ever liked Looney Tunes. And anime, because tits.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:19 amAny random show on Cartoon Network (the kid version, not Adult Swim) is smarter, funnier, and ten times more enjoyable than any of the terrible old cartoons you have listed here.
Kids aren't watching Space Ghost or Aqua Teen Hunger Force though. Can't we just admit as a community that cartoons go in this kind of pecking order:

1) Modern ones made within the last 15 years for adults
2) 80s cartoons
3) 70s cartoons
4) Today's garbage and nonsense
5) Pixar

Can't we agree??
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:45 am
pinback wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:19 amAny random show on Cartoon Network (the kid version, not Adult Swim) is smarter, funnier, and ten times more enjoyable than any of the terrible old cartoons you have listed here.
Kids aren't watching Space Ghost or Aqua Teen Hunger Force though. Can't we just admit as a community that cartoons go in this kind of pecking order:
Both of the shows you mentioned are Adult Swim shows, which I specifically excluded in the exact sentence you just replied to.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I gotta put Looney Tunes up there in teh number one slot. They've won Oscars and everything.

Everything else is just television stuff.

THE
PEN AND INK
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am fighting everyone in this thread. So start posting ZIP codes, dickheads.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Does anyone here have MMA training?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Yes, although in full disclosure, I have been training by watching these videos:

[youtube][/youtube]