Westworld: Season 2

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Westworld: Season 2

Post by Flack »

The second season of Westworld kicked off Sunday (4/22).

I kind of decided after the first season that I wouldn't watch the second season, but I did watch the first episode. So far, I have seen 100% of the episodes.

The second season opened with a synopsis of the first season. The first season began with human beings visiting "Westworld," a theme park where visitors can do anything they want and interact with lifelike androids. By the end of the first season, the androids had become sentient and overcome their biggest flaw (their inability to murder human beings). The first season ended with a coup, and that's where the second season begins.

I've read that the first season was intentionally confusing, while the second season is intended to be less riddles, more action. There was plenty of action in S02E01 ("Journey Into Night"), but it was as confusing as ever. It's hard to tell if they're still jumping around timelines like they did in the first season, and between Reddit and Google I'm already discovering things I missed.

I'm on the fence whether or not I'll continue watching. I probably will.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Re: Westworld: Season 2

Post by pinback »

After the first season, I decided I wouldn't watch the second season. And I didn't.

BLOWS.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

I'm quite sure they skipped around timelines in this episode. They jumped from when Bernard and Charlotte Hale were in the underground lab talking about the need to find a particular host or else the company wasn't going to come help them to another scene where Bernard was walking around with the recovery team.

Flack

Post by Flack »

A user on Reddit made a pretty convincing argument that there are five timelines in the new episode. The scene with Dolores and Bernard is definitely a flashback because she's still wearing her old blue dress. I agree that the Bernard/Charlotte scenes where they're talking about the mesh network seem to take place earlier than the discovery of the dead hosts. Then we have the scene with Dolores talking to Teddy, followed by a scene with Teddy underwater.

I feel like I'm not smart enough to watch this show, and I waded through the new Twin Peaks.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I... I think the premise of Westworld (the new one, the show) was interesting enough to maybe not need 5 timelines.

And McPoyle and whathisface look nothing alike.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

It SOUNDS LIKE this show is maybe just 'an incoherent pile of shit.'

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Dr. Michael Chrichton, the writer-director of the original movie knew what he was doing and would not have allowed this program to spiral out of control, given the work he did on ER.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Agreed. He also would have stepped in and pulled in the reigns on that budget!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Both episodes 4 and 5 were pretty interesting. There have been hints that the park was designed to be "more than a park," and in the past couple of episodes, they've delved into that a bit. The first bit has been that the park has been collecting data (tracking their actions) and DNA from visitors for the pretense of selling it. The other revelation is that the park's higher goal has been to achieve immortality, which we see though the story of Mr. Delos, which was very cool.

In Episode 5, Maeve and her gang arrive in Shogun World, which was hinted at in the final episode of season one. The hosts are shocked when they discover Japanese dopplegangers playing the same roles, but the real thrill is when they are attacked by ninjas first, followed by samurai.

In "weird" updates, Maeve has developed the ability to control other hosts. At first, they had to use touch screen tablets to control the hosts. When Maeve upgraded herself, she gained the ability to do what the tablets do. In episode 5, she gained the ability (a) to vocally control other hosts, and (b) "telepathically" (which is really just mentally accessing the wireless mesh). For all intents and purposes at this point, Maeve is, to the other hosts, somewhere between a witch and a god.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I swore if Westworld introduced one more timeline I was going to quit watching. Instead, they revealed that at least some of what we've been watching has been a virtual reality simulation that takes place inside the Delos mainframe, not unlike the Matrix.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Hahah, this has to be a joke. All people want is to see robots fuck and shoot each other or humans. Why are they overwriting this?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

While the sex is at an all time low, literally hundreds or maybe thousands of people have been shot and killed this season. So they got that part right.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Here's a large infographic timeline of events on the show to date:

http://www.thisisinsider.com/westworld- ... ers-2018-4

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I have not watched the show, but anything going on involving injury or death would have to be virtual reality simulation.

The lawyer in the movie - which is 20+ years ago - pointed out that a snake actually biting someone would constitute a tortious assault and potentially a large award of damages.

If the system actually killed someone, they'd have to report it, and whatever ride would have to be shut down and locked out until the inspectors had examined it. Even if your accident was unavoidable - the go-to example being the kid who is killed by the roller coaster car after he jumps two fences around a rollercoaster track to retrieve his hat that fell off on the ride - accidents have to be reported to state and/or federal authorities. And if there were regular death incidents not being reported, the state police and/or national guard and/or army would be there to shut everything down by force until all incidents were checked.

The failure to report incidents, even if they were all unpreventable, would trigger fines and shut downs. Especially if the incidents involved customers rather than employees.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Sorry Tdarcos you can't afford HBO. Do you want me to teach you how to torrent?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm I have not watched the show
100% correct.
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pmbut anything going on involving injury or death would have to be virtual reality simulation.
100% incorrect.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Having watched the season two finale twice now, I would like to spoil it for you all... but to do so, I'd have to fully understand it, and I've only read two dozen articles explaining, theorizing, and outright guessing as to what happened and what will happen, so I'm only halfway there.

Throughout the season, it was revealed that the park's most valuable was never the hosts; it was the humans, which were monitored and deconstructed in an attempt to make the hosts seem even more real.

But "real" is a funny word in Westworld. Westworld is itself a simulation of the real world, but inside The Forge we discovered a simulation within a simulation, and after entering Loganworld... who knows, man. The show ends on three people, all of whom have died at least once this season, and poor Teddy has been killed at least half a dozen times. Even humans like Arnold (who came back as Bernard) never really "died" -- at least their conscious didn't -- so at this point, what's a little death between friends?

I dunno, man, I dunno. In their never-ending effort to make the show confusing, I'm not sure they made it good.

Casual Observer

I watched the finale twice too. Obviously William is a host or more likely he's been 'living' in the forge simulation forever. I think Ford had the Forge transferred to a space based cloud datacenter, they showed the transfer to a different satellite in the episode.

Casual Observer

Getting a little too Matrixy for comfort. First one was phenomenal, second was excusable, third was embarrassing. I'll rewatch both seasons before season 3, hopefully these people don't suck like the W's.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:40 pm Sorry Tdarcos you can't afford HBO. Do you want me to teach you how to torrent?
I get HBO, Showtime and Starz for free for the next 90 days.