Selling my copy of Suspended (the mask)

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Selling my copy of Suspended (the mask)

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132498775459

Not that I think anyone here is gonna pull the trigger, but what can ya do.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Re: Selling my copy of Suspended (the mask)

Post by Flack »

"Selling it as I am moving" ?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I hope that wherever you move to your car doesn't get broken into anymore, you deserve better.

Ice Cream Jonsey

We are gonna move from this place one day but at the same time I am getting rid of a bunch of stuff because I ran out of space here. It's just that Suspended has val --

/checks ebay auction

- had value. Hmm.

Ice Cream Jonsey

OH MAN. This is great. I had no idea ebay did what I am about to describe.

It allows people to MAKE OFFERS. That part is great. I got two offers, one for seventy bucks and one for eighty bucks. No problem there.

Here is the great part. It allows these people trying to nickle and dime you to leave comments.

Here is an example of a comment that I received:
Buyer message: This is an incomplete and extremely rough copy of the game. Complete C64 copies in decent condition go for $150-$175.
Hey guys! Hey guys! HEY GUYS! ACTUALLY this totally rare item only goes for $150 and $175. This guy helpfully made an offer for $80, but did you know? Did you know what "decent" condition ones go for??? Boy am I glad that an Achstually was able to come and tell me. I am going to let go of the fact that the only value the thing has is that this horrible visage peers out at you when on a bookshelf and the fact that it is missing the tokens doesn't matter because it will never, ever ever be played by anyone who ever owns it.

(For what it's worth, I paid $250 plus shipping for it a few years ago and while I knew that the market cratered for this thing because nobody cares any more - a sealed one was listed for $400 and didn't sell and they were going for a thousand bucks several years ago - I love that someone out there is going to ebaysplain to me of all people what text games go for. I hope he posts a second comment to present me with fun facts I probably don't know about the 2009 Saints.)

Flack

Post by Flack »

"ebaysplain" - 2018 word of the year.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It is important to me that you understand that I understand that the market cratered on old Infocom stuff. Of course it did. It is important, Flack, that you know that this is not about the fact that I'll probably be lucky to get half of what I paid for plastic in a cardboard box a few years ago.

There is also the aspect of something I don't have a catchy name for. It was something I noticed playing fantasy baseball and football and text baseball. It's "My Stuff Sucks, Your Stuff Rocks." I feel most people who are good at negotiations figured it out decades ago instead of just a decade ago for me.

When someone is trying to get one of your players, your player sucks and theirs are amazing. Whoa, your counter offer asks for Fred Shithead? Fred Shithead is AMAZING. Ha ha, no, I couldn't possibly give up Fred Shithead for this - who is he? Ted Williams?

Should you make an offer for one of their guys, well, Ted Williams is the best player in the league. You want to acquire him for Fred Shithead? It is to laugh!

"My Stuff Sucks, Your Stuff Rocks." Once you recognize something you can loathe it. The ebay guy giving me this helpful advice AS IF THERE'S A STOCK MARKET OF INFOCOM BOXES (which is another whole thing) is doing that, even though he did not sell me the game originally. We did figure out he lives in Ben's town, funnily enough.

The guy that bought my Donkey Kong cocktail went over it with a flashlight and pretended like he didn't want to buy it for a half hour. Then he immediately tried listing it on eBay for double what he paid me. "My Stuff Sucks, Your Stuff Rocks."

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Have you tried the capitalizing off of your celebrity angle yet? Like when you have a beat up fender that may have been worth a couple hundred bucks but because Hendrix played it it is now worth a million dollars.

ex: "Personal copy of game owned by Get Lamp star and IFDB stud Robb Sherwin". Maybe include a hand written letter along with the game for provenance.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Unfortunately, I have learned that trying that on eBay means everyone knows that the item in question will be covered in cat hair.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 pm"My Stuff Sucks, Your Stuff Rocks."
Hah, welcome to the club. I'm the guy who bought and sold at least 50 arcade games and only made a profit on one of them. In a few cases, I paid top dollar for some machines from a local guy and sold them back to him for pennies on the dollar. When used car salesmen see me pulling on to the lot, they fight one another over who gets to deflower me.

Here's a great example of "My Stuff Sucks, Your Stuff Rocks." Before I sold my Subaru, I checked with a local dealership who offered me way under Bluebook value (of course). When I asked why they offered so little the sales manager explained that they had another STI sitting on the lot. My car had 16,000 miles and the one on the lot was two years newer, but with 50,000. "It's more about the year and less about the miles," he said, and I know if the situation had been reversed he would have said the opposite.

Ice Cream Jonsey

"More about the year." That's amazing. Can you imagine buying a car that was newer but had more miles if both were the exact same price? Unless it's got one more mile that's bullshit.

I am actually smiling with how desperately greasy that is. What a terrible profession.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Slightly off topic, but the dealership's website offers what they call a "trade-in price guarantee." You enter all the details about your car -- mileage, condition, etc -- and then, based off of bluebook value combined with some algorithm, they make you a "trade-in price guarantee."

Bluebook value on my car was $30k. Their website offered me $27k -- not top dollar, but if I can avoid an hour's worth of some guy half my age telling me what a piece of shit my like-new car is, I'd take it. When we got to the dealership, the car salesman did that thing where he inhaled through his teeth and said, "yeah, I'm guessing it would be more like $25k." At some point the used car sales manager came in and did the same thing and said it would be closer to $23k. At this point I asked if either of those dummies knew what a "price guarantee" meant and they stared at me like I was the dumbest person in the room. It was around this time that the guy pointed out the other STI they had on the lot.

When we went home that evening we got an automated email from Kelley Blue Book asking us how our "price guarantee" experience went. I hope my response was printed out and is hanging where someone used to work.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 am Slightly off topic, but the dealership's website offers what they call a "trade-in price guarantee." You enter all the details about your car -- mileage, condition, etc -- and then, based off of bluebook value combined with some algorithm, they make you a "trade-in price guarantee."
I saw a humorous video on YouTube where a guy took his bright orange Lamborghini with only 60,000 miles which he had appraised and confirmed from recent auctions of other Lambos in the area that sold, to be valued at $3,000,000, to Carmax!

After they did a careful exam, checked auction records and other things, came back with an offer, which is good for seven days, and it was four times more than I expected: $199,998. I expected 50. This ignores that orange Lambos are supposed to be more rare; most are green.

Obviously the guy didn't take the offer. He also pointed out the dealer probably had no way to sell anything that valuable, e.g. nobody interested in a Lambo is going to look for one at Carmax.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Ice Cream Jonsey

A guy bought it for $120. He:

1) Created his account today
2) Put a random string of characters at the end of his handle

So I am sure this is on the up and up and that I won't regret it. He did pay me, however, and it's a weird scam where you give the guy the money first. So we'll see how it goes!

The important part is that the tedious nerd that told me it wasn't worth this much was wrong, fuck him.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Oh, man. Well, I'd take pictures of everything before, and pay the extra buck or two for delivery confirmation. That might be enough to fight this guy when he inevitably claims it didn't arrive / arrived damaged.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's a very random thing for a person to decide they want to fuck me over on, but I think we're all agreed that's what he's going to try to do.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I want this for like 40$ if you can’t manage to sell it to a real person.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 pm "More about the year." That's amazing. Can you imagine buying a car that was newer but had more miles if both were the exact same price? Unless it's got one more mile that's bullshit.

I am actually smiling with how desperately greasy that is. What a terrible profession.
Someone bumped this and I don't know why yet, but I re-read this and I am angry again. "More about the year, less about the miles." I am going to hit one year on my car and I have 6100 miles on it. I am not thinking of selling it, but I am SMILING with anger, again, about that statement. I am glad you didn't sell your Subaru to those lying assholes.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 pm I want this for like 40$ if you can’t manage to sell it to a real person.
Oh! The guy that I sold it to paid me and never pulled any PayPal shit to get his money back and my item. So it actually sold!

They do appear on eBay from time to time and at the beginning of the thread we were given great information from a Mr Helpful where Ben no longer lives about it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:55 pmSomeone bumped this and I don't know why yet, but I re-read this and I am angry again. "More about the year, less about the miles." I am going to hit one year on my car and I have 6100 miles on it. I am not thinking of selling it, but I am SMILING with anger, again, about that statement. I am glad you didn't sell your Subaru to those lying assholes.
Yes, not dealing with those guys was a good decision. They wanted to pay me $23k for my STI, and sell me a slightly used Ford Flex for $30k. Instead, I sold my STI on CraigsList for $30k, paid cash for a slightly used Ford Flex for $24k. and used the extra cash to upgrade the wheels and tires, add tint, and try smack for the first time.