November 2017 development post

Let's make some video games!

Moderator: Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

November 2017 development post

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

So I had an area with 100 rooms in it that I hadn't done graphics for. 10x10 area, 100 rooms... no project management here, so when I played through the area that comes after the area that Ben streamed I saw no graphics. Nooo graphics.

So my fault. It takes a while to make the graphics as there is a night and day cycle. So 100 rooms is 200 graphics (some indoor places in the map can be used twice). I have been working to fill the room out. I am at 73 graphics tonight, so I have 27 left to go.

My goal is to finish those graphics by the end of the month. At that point the end of development on the game is in sight.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Re: November 2017 development post

Post by RealNC »

Off-topic, but in case you were looking for professional, royalty-free audio to put in the game, take a look at this stuff:

https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2017

(Not sure if it's a timed thing where if you don't download the stuff now, it will be gone.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Thanks, RealNC. I'll take a look.

Let's see. 11/13. I wasn't done working until 11:30PM. Next.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Last night and tonight I worked late. Man. Argh.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I know how it is, brother.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I don't even remember the week before I went out of town for Thanksgiving. I'm definitely working too much. I did get more graphics in today and for my own purposes, will count how many are left after today.

I have shot tens of thousands of photos for this game and I realize that I haven't taken enough.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Good grief. Since I started this thread, I have gotten 7 graphics done. Times two, because I do night and day cycles, but Christ. I am really not taking advantage of the free time that I have. This is bad. This is awful!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Six left. Just six left. I've been working on this since August. It IS terrible, as Neil said. 200 images when you count night and day and it's going to be 4 months to get them in.

Making this game in this way was a terrible idea.

cyberganked.hug:1610: resource file "RIOTD01": Error: Unable to find resource "jpg/riotd01/Riot02_4_2.jpg"
cyberganked.hug:1626: resource file "RIOTD01": Error: Unable to find resource "jpg/riotd01/Riot02_5_8.jpg"
cyberganked.hug:1627: resource file "RIOTD01": Error: Unable to find resource "jpg/riotd01/Riot02_5_9.jpg"
cyberganked.hug:1637: resource file "RIOTD01": Error: Unable to find resource "jpg/riotd01/Riot02_6_9.jpg"
cyberganked.hug:1666: resource file "RIOTD01": Error: Unable to find resource "jpg/riotd01/Riot02_9_6.jpg"
cyberganked.hug:1666: resource file "RIOTD01": Error: Unable to find resource "jpg/riotd01/Riot02_9_7.jpg"

I could have this done by the end of coffee tomorrow.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much, I'm sure all of the hard work involved will be represented in a better finished product making it all worth it in the end.

Paul Robinson

Post by Paul Robinson »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:12 am I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much,
Your advise probably won't help. Knowing him, he's going to go full "Tyler Durden v. The Narrator in the parking lot" mode. Or "The Narrator negotiating a big severance package" mode.
While there is time
Let's go out and feel everything!
- Steve Winwood, The Finer Things

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, I got them all done for this area today. It only took a weekend of total isolation (wife was visiting friends) and without work bugging the shit out of me, but I got them done.

Never again. And by that I mean, I am not putting myself in a place where I make hundreds of images ever again. There's over a thousand images at this point in the game, maybe two thousand. If I make text games in the future, they will be done differently.

This is like waking up from a coma. It took four months to get this all together. Hello, everyone! What have we all been up to?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:58 pmWhat have we all been up to?
Well for starters there is a nominations phase going on to determine who gets to go on the JC MVP poll this year. I noticed your comment in it was kind of half-assed, understandable considering the time constraints you were under but now that this task is finally wrapped up...

Ice Cream Jonsey

The comment was a thousand times more than the thread deserved, so consider yourself fortunate there. But I'm not hear to talk about that, I am hear to talk about game dev.

Update! Fixed two problems, the first was that if you went to add a character to the party and just hit "Enter" instead of the name of the character, the game would add the first character it found on the disk. Now you gotta actually input a number. The second thing I added was that if you hit "Enter" when the game suggests a full name, it now actually uses the randomly generated full name and doesn't leave the full name blank. It's like my new favorite feature.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Brief update. With the graphics in that area done, I'm just writing room descriptions and what the characters are doing as they travel through. It is wonderful. It is fun, it's why I got into text adventures, the game is advancing, it's something someone would want to spend time with again. I had no idea what a strain making graphics was. But I'm past that now and enjoying development.