Who saw Wrath of Kahn in the theater today or will by the 13th?

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Who is seeing Wrath of Kahn in the theater this week?

You may select 1 option

View results

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Who saw Wrath of Kahn in the theater today or will by the 13th?

Post by Casual Observer »

Just saw Wrath of Kahn in the theater with adult enhancements including +pot +drink -wife. Totally a must have experience. I was 8 in '82, just starting with a vic-20 and still playing star trek with my friends that I last saw it in the theater. If you haven't seen it get to it, just make sure you're 20 min late so you can miss Shatners intro interview that they cared so little about they obviously did in one take. Instead of making it about himself, the Shat should instead have done a respectful memorial to:
Nimoy
DeForest Kelly
James Doohan
New Chekhov
Kristy allys figure and career
Roddenbury
Sulus masculinity

pinback

Re: Who saw Wrath of Kahn in the theater today or will by the 13th?

Post by pinback »

What is it? What's goin' on? Huh?

Also, virtually every word in that post was misspelled, including the name of the film, in the title of the post. But let's move past that.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

I think the misspellings are explained in the post +pot +drink. Forgot rip Ricardo monteblan, batgirl, h. Mudd, z. Cochran, t.Pring, Janice rand, Sarek, nurse chapel, captain pike all dead. Wish they did memorial montage instead of stupid interview.

Yes, special 4 day run of this classic is worth regular movie price.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, I do see a showing within 30 minutes of my house. Golly, would I like to attend this. And have this be the kid's first movie? How perfect.

However, I can pretty much guess she will be bored within 0.02 seconds and it will be a nightmare, so, might give it a miss this time around.

Do give Shats my best, though.

It occurs to me, when I give my top five movies, I always say: Magnolia, 2001, Apocalypse Now, Fight Club, Jaws. Always the same. But then if you ask me what movies I have actually watched the most, which ones have given me the most enjoyment, pound for pound, the list is entirely different. It is -- in no particular order except the first: Dark Star, Wrath of Khan, Strange Brew, Rounders, and (if you can believe it) Stakeout. I have seen each of those movies more times than all of the movies in my "top five" combined.

I don't know why Stakeout is on there. There was a period when I was 16 where I just had it on the VCR, all the time. I can't explain it. Probably the Jaws connection.

Casual Observer

pinback wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:21 pm However, I can pretty much guess she will be bored within 0.02 seconds and it will be a nightmare, so, might give it a miss this time around.
Yeah, that's what was decided with the wife too. She came clean that she lied about being ok with going to the "guy with the chest novie" worked out great, I had a better than original experience and she stayed home watching some sappy English drinking tea shit movie on demand.

One thing to note about the movie itself is i noticed that lots of the parts that may seem boring or tedious or cheesy when watching at home are actually fucking awesome in theater. I have a 55" hd tv and booming surround but this movie is different in the theater. For example: shock of simulator doors opening after Kirsty fucks up her test, the close ups of ship leaving spacedock, fight scenes, kaaaahn!, etc. Saw this in theater twice when I was 8 and dozens of times on computer, phone, and tv, this time was best so far.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I never considered any of the things you mentioned to be boring or cheesy. They were always awesome, even on a 24-inch tube TV in 1989.

Casual Observer

You people suck at liking Star Trek.

Casual Observer

You people suck at liking Star Trek.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You suck at not double-posting.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I thought it was OK/ meh. Stoo bad, cause I like me some Star Trek.

Three out of five Genesis devices.

THE
WOULD BONE
UHURA THO
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Wait what

You mean you thought the big-screen presentation didn't terribly enhance the experience, or are you saying Wrath of Khan was an "OK/meh" movie?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The movie was just alright with me.

THE
EAR BUG
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 pm The movie was just alright with me.

Right, that's it. I'm out. I'm going over to TGC.

Hmm?

Ah.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It was just OK. It wasn't life changing or anything, like that whale episode was, it was just OK. I knew they weren't gonna let Spock die. Cliffhanger tactics don't sit well with me, especially with a three year wait for the next installment. Spock is too big a character to just kill off. Look at the Pear Blossom parade back in 1967. Nobody but nobody is gonna kack a grand marshall from the Oregon pear blossom parade.

THE
SAW THROUGH THAT
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Can we agree that of anything involving a spaceship that can shoot, it is the best of its breed?

Can we agree on that?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

It's not real Star Trek without Picard and Data having a discussion about a philosophical matter for 30 minutes.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Huh! That's an interesting take on things! So, let's go ahead and mark you down for believing that all TNG movies are greater than the Wrath of Khan. Because that's what I am taking from your comment.

It requires processing.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I mean, I'm a person who believes that WoK is the best Star Trek movie not because it is the best Star Trek movie, but because it is the only Star Trek movie that is actually a good movie, irregardless (and I never use that word, because it is not a word) of Star Trek.

I'll admit, I'm having trouble processing some of the opinions expressed in this thread.

It was, in my mind, a constant. Sure, everyone understands that Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek movie, and in fact, one of the great science fiction movies of all time, now what else would you like to discuss?

But now, this is all shaken.

Processing.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:11 pm I mean, I'm a person who believes that WoK is the best Star Trek movie not because it is the best Star Trek movie, but because it is the only Star Trek movie that is actually a good movie, irregardless (and I never use that word, because it is not a word) of Star Trek.
I absolutely agree with you on this point. I came to an opinion, years ago, that WoK was a great piece of fiction, not just science fiction. You could have done the ending with sailing ships and a large explosive or military aircraft carriers and one carrying a nuclear weapon and the story would have been just as compelling.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:01 pm Huh! That's an interesting take on things! So, let's go ahead and mark you down for believing that all TNG movies are greater than the Wrath of Khan. Because that's what I am taking from your comment.

It requires processing.
Nah, it's a good movie. But TNG is what I always thought "Star Trek" is. The classic cast somehow doesn't seem very "Star Trek" to me. Blasphemy, I know.