The Age of the Universe

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

The Age of the Universe

Post by pinback »

Fundamentalist Christians might say the universe is about 10,000 years old. Those of a more scientific bent might insist it's something like four or five billion years old.

Both assertions are equally absurd in the face of the reality of experience.

The truth is, the universe is exactly zero seconds old. That's why it looks so good. It hasn't aged a day!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Tdarcos bait spotted...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The consensus is around 13.8B

pinback

Post by pinback »

Equally absurd.

pinback

Post by pinback »

RealNC wrote:Tdarcos bait spotted...
Also, this is obviously not true, since he is banned from this base.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:
Yeah, it's such a shame I'm NOT allowed to post here. Now if, on the other hand, you mean I've been told I can't post here, well, I suggest it might have been a good idea if someone who has the authority to demand this had told me.

As for your claim the universe is 0 seconds old, that tired old thought experiment that the universe was just instantiated and all of us have fake memories of that false prior existence, I consider it stale and unanswerable since it is an unfasifiiable idea.

The universe can't be less than about 4.5 billion years old as the earth is at least that old, and we are a considerable distance from the approximate "center" of the universe (which it would have taken time for enough matter to show up here and allow it to coalesce into this solar system, with the best estimates based on the evidence at more than 13-14 billion years old
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

PBS ST saw this thread and created a video just for us:

It's about the speed of entropy and the age of Waltzen brains and stuff like that.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:
pinback wrote:
Yeah, it's such a shame I'm NOT allowed to post here. Now if, on the other hand, you mean I've been told I can't post here, well, I suggest it might have been a good idea if someone who has the authority to demand this had told me.

As for your claim the universe is 0 seconds old, that tired old thought experiment that the universe was just instantiated and all of us have fake memories of that false prior existence, I consider it stale and unanswerable since it is an unfasifiiable idea.

The universe can't be less than about 4.5 billion years old as the earth is at least that old, and we are a considerable distance from the approximate "center" of the universe (which it would have taken time for enough matter to show up here and allow it to coalesce into this solar system, with the best estimates based on the evidence at more than 13-14 billion years old
Ah, crap. When I banned Paul, I accidentally only prevented new posts, it was still allowing replies.

I've fixed it now, though. Sorry, Paul, you're out.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

hey, since we're talking about the universe and other things astronomy-wise, I want to bring out a related topic. Let me get my shit together and I'll be back.

THE
PLACEHOLDER
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Oh never mind. It was about the 'vortex solar system' video that's been going around. I was thinking about it at work and I came to the conclusion that it's bad science. And I was right.

THE
VIOLATES NEWTON'S
FIRST LAW
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Aardvark has now also been banned from the Don Rogers base.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thank god