Music I can't believe I'm just discovering

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Here are two. The first I stumbled upon on YouTube, the second I first heard on the Muzak in a local pizza place. It wasn't until I looked up the lyrics to find the song and discovered that both were by the same group, The Decemberists.

Both songs are enjoyable. The first, whose actual title is "Summersong", has a machinima story called "Summer in City 17" done using Half-Life 2 that was apparently designed around the song, including an interesting trick that when the scene focuses on a radio the audio is downgraded to sound like something played on AM radio.

[youtube][/youtube]

The second apparently is about a hardscrabble pan miner called "Rox in the Box". This one shows the lyrics.

[youtube]]

I just discovered something which is why I left the broken reference there. YouTube video id references containing a - are broken as a hyphenated word and not translated correctly. This is the same as the "https bug."

Here's a different link.

[youtube][/youtube]
"And if you ever make it to ten you won't make it again."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

You didn't put a "/" in front of your closing YouTube link. Video links with dashes work just fine.

[youtube][/youtube]
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:You didn't put a "/" in front of your closing YouTube link. Video links with dashes work just fine.
You're right, sorry.

Here's one I found by accident when Amazon Music on my Fire TV device presented this song, I had never heard of this artist. I'm trying to remember who she reminds me of.

Rachel Platten, "Fight Song"
[youtube][/youtube]
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

[youtube][/youtube]

I had quite a bit of trouble getting into Peter Gabriel - every one of his songs sounded derivative from countless parodies and later tonal tributes that played off his motifs. But then I realized that he had done alot of this first and had started a couple trends:

*Experimental pop music.
*Tone deaf / neutral sounding lyrics

Both of which is personified in this song (especially with the minimal instruments and vocalization that I can imagine was ahead of its time.)

I thoroughly enjoyed this song and am glad to add it to my list of songs I can't believe I haven't heard.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Re: Music I can't believe I'm just discovering

Post by RetroRomper »

If I'm going to listen to pop, its going to be KPOP, yo.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Tdarcos

Re:

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm This just came on Netflix a little while ago. Quite fascinating. I never really loved The Rolling Stones but it's enlightening to see where they came from. I can't imagine all the riots and crazy things happening at a concert today.
Travis Scott Pleads Guilty to Disorderly Conduct Related to Concert Riot ,E! News Feb 7, 2018 http://www.eonline.com/news/912279/trav ... ncert-riot

RetroRomper

Re: Music I can't believe I'm just discovering

Post by RetroRomper »

Described to me as sounding "oriental," Septic Flesh manages to infuse a smooth, drum and cymbal driven beat into heavy metal. Stored behind a few marvelous sounding guitar solos, its amazing that I didn't know about this band any earlier. Overall, the sound is wide, lush, and doesn't fall to the normal tropes of heavy metal music.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM