No self.

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

No self.

Post by pinback »

Took 'em 5000 years, but scientists are finally starting to come around.

https://www.good.is/articles/neuroscience-says-no-self
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Based on tissue regeneration human beings generally replace every cell in the body about every 8 years.

This brings up that thought experiment, if you had a wooden house and replaced every board, at what point is it no longer the same house?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

You should get the pinba.ck domain.

pinback

Post by pinback »

OooooOOOoo!

pinback

Post by pinback »

"Sorry, pinba.ck isn’t available."

:(

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Damn.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:An excellent question!
Yeah, but what would they have said if he threw away the cigarette lighter?

"Now here's something that will really bake your noodle." - The Oracle, The Matrix

The guy keeps the original car, and as he replaces the parts he keeps them in a pile until they can be assembled, and does so. Now he has one with the brand new cigarette lighter and all the other old parts, and the other is all brand new parts but the old cigarette ligher. Which of these is the new car and which is the old one?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

There is no old car, and no new car. There is only this.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:There is no old car, and no new car. There is only this.
Try telling that to the DMV when they expect you to pay for two registrations, and see how far you get.

As to the reality of the subject, I am here, I am someone. My rough location is above my eyes and behind my ears but I'd have trouble pinning it down much closer. You want to believe you don't have a self or you don't exist, fine. But don't drag me into it; i know different. And don't try to make any claims I have no self or don't exist; since you don't, you have provided no evidence of the claim you exist and have dismissed any existing evidence to the contrary, thus I accept your claim you do not exist and ignore anything further you say.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Alright, good talk everyone!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:As to the reality of the subject, I am here, I am someone. My rough location is above my eyes and behind my ears but I'd have trouble pinning it down much closer.
But seriously, you can't be this dumb. You've spent most of the last 30 years writing thousand-page books about how ridiculous it is that people believe in a "God" somewhere in the "heavens", and when all the proof they can offer is "I just know it" you scoff and demand evidence.

And yet, having no evidence at all, you proclaim there's a "you" that's "somewhere in there", that nobody, neither scientist nor sage, has ever or will ever find, and you make your stand on the basis of... you just know it.

Keep hunting! Above the eyes, behind your ears! Gotta be in there somewhere, right?! You just know it!

This could have been a nice thread, but if this is the last one you ruin on your way outta here, I hope you enjoyed it.

I'll start another one once it's safe.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

You use the term 'self' - which is usually referenced by the term 'identity' - to represent the separate existence of volitional consiousness and agency to do things. And you seem to believe it does not exist. Whether you agree or not, people do have consciousness and identity. Including me.

Read More: http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=90406

pinback

Post by pinback »

I thought Robb banned you.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:I thought Robb banned you.
I don't know, probably later today. I'm still trying to understand how I "ruined" this thread. You were discussing "identity" how things exist and how we reference them, and volitional consciousness, how we meatbags are more than chemicals. I spoke upon these points, and apparently staying on topic makes what I said a shitpost, and I have no idea how.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ah, well. I see now he had initially screwed up the banning process. Should be all good now, so there's not much point in replying to this.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Yeah, it's working now. Man, it's good to be COMPETENT at something, as I clearly am with software. phpBB2 is sort of the "gold standard" for SysOp administration.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

FlyingCarp

Post by FlyingCarp »

FYI: Bob's Mustang is a modernized version of The Ship of Theseus. This paradox has been discussed by philosophers since Plato and Heraclitus.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato? Aristotle? Socrates?

Morons.

FlyingCarp

Post by FlyingCarp »

If one by one you replaced all the morons on this board with new people, would it still be Jolt Country?