Flack's Top 125 Songs

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Whoops, wrong thread. Let me clean it up.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I would call that "a" version of Tom Sawyer.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote:I would call that "a" version of Tom Sawyer.
Let's compromise and call it "a better" version!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I disagree, but I respect your opinion and thank you for your time.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

107. Dream Theater - Pull Me Under

The members of Dream Theater have more talent in their pinkies than large swaths of my list contain. Individually, each member of the band has won more awards than any of us have won for anything in our entire lives, combined, including all those participation ribbons we got from elementary school spelling bees. According to Wikipedia Dream Theater has sold more than 12 million albums, which is also how many notes each of their songs contain.

The first time I heard this song was on the radio and I was amazed that they would play something this "heavy" (it's not that heavy, but heavy for radio at the time I suppose).

You could really substitute any of the first four or five songs from "Images and Words" with this one for my list and I'd be okay with that, but this was the first one I heard so here it is.

[youtube][/youtube]

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

Ah yes! Dream Theater! Great band, great music, great pick. I have nothing to add about them other than I listened to Images and Words a million times when I was given it. Or bought it. I might still have it downstairs??

Flack

Post by Flack »

106. Real Life - Send Me An Angel

I'm glad I heard this song when I was ten instead of when I was forty. At ten, it seemed romantic and cool, which is how I remember it. At forty, it... doesn't seem that way. I'm more about making my own destiny these days. Quit sitting around and demanding that someone send you an angel right now, pal. Go out there and find one!

Here's the official music video:

[youtube][/youtube]

And here's the only video you should watch on this entire list -- the "bicycle boogie" scene from RAD that features this song:

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

105. G. Love & the Special Sauce - Cold Beverage

I have this friend that's way cooler than me. Every time I visit him, he's playing some funky ass music (usually on vinyl) in his house just to set the mood. I'm the type of guy who puts on cool music right before someone shows up so they'll think I'm cool. He's the type of guy that would play cool music in his house while he was out having coffee so that the vibes would be warm when he got home.

Okay that's a stupid example but the point is this guy is cool, and one day when I stopped by his house he was playing this song on vinyl. I play it in my car all the time and when people ask me who it is I'm always like, "what? You've never heard of G. Love and the Special Sauce?" even though this is the only song of theirs I know. Because deep down I am a fake and my friend is the cool one.

Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge.

[youtube][/youtube]

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

This wouldn't even be debated in a sane world. Now I'm convinced, everyone just fall asleep and wait for the next species to take over the planet because humanity is doomed.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

104. DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - Summertime

Will Smith's comedy schtick got old pretty quick. We all (?) loved "Parents Just Don't Understand," but I think by the time I heard "Nightmare on My Street" I was kind of over ol' Will. His later pop stuff (Miami, Gettin' Jiggy With It, Men in Black) didn't do anything for me.

But this song... oh, man, this song. My good friend had a boomin' system in his car and the two of us drove around all summer listening to the cassette single of this song over and over and over (the b side is the instrumental version).

I still know every word of this song. To me, this *is* summer.

Here it is, a groove, slightly transformed
Just a bit of a break from the norm,
Just a little somethin' to break the monotony
Of all that hardcore dance that has gotten to be
A little bit out of control, it's cool to dance
But what about a groove that soothes that moves romance,
Give me a soft subtle mix,
And if ain't broke then don't try to fix it...

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

ICJ wrote:Ah yes! Dream Theater! Great band, great music, great pick. I have nothing to add about them other than I listened to Images and Words a million times when I was given it. Or bought it. I might still have it downstairs??
I've bought several of their later CDs but it always comes back to Images and Words.

Flack

Post by Flack »

103. Primus - Mr. Krinkle

Like a lot of metal heads I discovered Primus through Headbanger's Ball, who began playing "Jerry was a Race Car Driver" and "Tommy the Cat" (which worked its way into regular rotation over time). I quickly picked up Sailing the Seas of Cheese and Pork Soda and became a fan. I loved Pork Soda and almost went with "My Name is Mud" for my list, but I decided to go with the slightly less popular "Mr. Krinkle" instead. If you watch the video you'll notice that the entire thing was filmed in a single take (no cuts). It's really amazing.

[youtube][/youtube]

* BONUS * Here's Primus' version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." I always felt like the original got what a band of demons joining in would sound like. Primus got it right.

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

102. Van Halen - You Really Got Me

I've been backwards and forwards through Van Halen's catalog. For a while the first album was my favorite. Then it was 1984 for a while. There was even a time when I couldn't get enough of "Cabo Wabo," for some reason. In the end though, it all comes back to the first album. While people's heads were still spinning after hearing "Eruption" for the first time, EVH launched into the opening riff of "You Really Got Me" and rock and roll would never be the same.

Some of you will stand up and say "but what about the deep cuts on Diver Down? What about the great Van Hagar cuts?" To those of you I say, "sit down, Waldo."

Enjoy this video, complete with (some of) Eruption at the beginning.

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

101. Tad - Grease Box

I don't remember where I discovered this band -- Headbanger's Ball, probably -- but I found them at a time when I was trying to write my own songs, and Tad reminded me that metal songs don't have to be complicated to be good. It also reminded me that a singable chorus goes a long way. This song makes me want to pull my bass down off the wall and write something heavy every time I hear it.

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

100. 3rd Bass - Pop Goes the Weasel

In the 80s/90s, hip hop artists were pissed at rappers who were mining hip hop culture and reselling it to the masses. ("Hip hop got turned into hit pop the second a record was number one on the pop charts.") Rappers from the streets were getting passed over by "studio rappers" who were putting out slick singles and getting rich.

While the song addresses the issue on a larger scale, the video "Pop Goes the Weasel" specifically targets Vanilla Ice (played by Henry Rollins). The track features MC Serch and Prime Minister Pete Nice at the top of their game, and hopefully introduced a million Vanilla Ice fans to real hip-hop artists. Plus the track is built on Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer," so it can't be all bad.

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

99. Janis Joplin - Piece of my Heart

Go watch Janis: Little Blue Girl, and if you're not already crying, go listen to Janis Joplin's greatest hits. Be sure to have a bottle of Southern Comfort on hand.

I like the

[youtube][/youtube]

* BONUS *

In case your heart wasn't broken...

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

98. Circus of Power - Call of the Wild

In high school some friends of mine and I decided to put together a band. We were awful. This is one of the songs we decided to play because... it was something all of us could play. For a bunch of teens it has that "Born to by Wild" feel, that idea that "someday we're all gonna get out of this place."

Some people never do.

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

97. Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of

Back before my kids were battling Tom Morello in Guitar Hero, I discovered RATM through "Freedom" on MTV. I'm a sucker for syncopated guitar/bass tracks, and boy did RATM nail that. With tracks like "Bombtrack," "Take the Power Back," and "Bulls on Parade," these guys put the rage in the machine. Then they started raging among themselves and broke up. If I had two wishes, I would put this band together and not have my grandma die of cancer. And if I only got one wish... well, sorry grandma.

Instead of the album version, here's the 1999 Woodstock version of "Killing in the Name Of." It has a slightly different feel -- Tim's bass is a little looser, giving this one a unique sound.

The world would be a better place if more people stood up and said "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

96. The Beatles - Paperback Writer

It's one thing to tell someone that the Beatles are great, but another thing to discover it. What I mean by that is, everybody knows the Beatles were a huge band, but it's not until that moment where you hear a moment of genius and go... oh God, THAT'S why. I think I had that moment with "Paperback Writer," and trust me, that's not meant to take anything away from all the other great Beatles tracks -- and there are many -- but I'm pretty sure the first time I heard this song through a pair of headphones I stopped, wondered what the hell I had just heard, and then listened to it another hundred times.

Here is the true story behind how the track came to be.

[youtube][/youtube]

So, Beatles tracks are routinely removed from YouTube. There are a few muddy live versions, but the closest I got to the original was this ad for Beatles "1's," which I have on my phone.

[youtube][/youtube]

If you're into the bass at all, take a quick listen to this, the isolated bass track from the song.

[youtube][/youtube]

Flack

Post by Flack »

95. Melvins - Hooch

I first heard about the Melvins when Nirvana hit. I read that Cobain had been a roadie for the Melvins, and that some of the earlier Nirvana stuff was heavily influenced by the Melvins, but what was all I knew. I had several friends begging me to "get into the Melvins," but everything I found was just noise. Finally I discovered Houdini, and it changed my life.

I picked the song "Hooch" because the last time I saw the Melvins perform live was in a club that held around a hundred people, and I was standing about five feet away from King Buzzo when he played this song and... well, if you're going to experience this song, that's an intense way to do it.

[youtube][/youtube]

Also from the same album is "Honey Bucket." This one's a little heavier, and no less awesome.

[youtube][/youtube]

I am cheating now and posting random Melvins songs. Now I know what I will be listening to for the rest of the day.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]