The edit-able house thread

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Is that a stripper pole or do you have a cool fire fighter / Ghostbusters vibe going on?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It's a house jack. It's a support for the first floor, keeps the house from sagging in the middle. In my last house I had two of them under an I beam. It could double as a stripper pole I suppose. All I need are the strippers.

THE
LURE THEM TO THE BASEMENT
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:All I need are the strippers.
THE
LURE THEM TO THE BASEMENT
AARDVARK
"It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again."
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The server thing just isn't working out. Sometimes it works then a few hours later it doesn't show up on the network. Then when it does show up it says there's no videos on it. I just don't have those kind of skillz to make it go right.
I can move files to the music PC and back upstairs, that's what's really important. I'll just go back to putting videos on flash drives and plugging them into the TV's usb ports.

THE
DOWNGRADE
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

You don't happen to have a wireless or networked printer connected to your network, do you?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Candy

Post by Candy »

you can buy anything on the internet

pinback

Post by pinback »

Please stay on topic.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I have a printer but it's not networked or even turned on most of the time. The last time it was on was that comic book page I printed out for you.

THE
OCCASIONAL INK
FURNITURE
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Well, shucks. I had a networked printer that was sending out a signal that kept knocking my media server offline just how you described. It took me forever to figure out the problem but there was a feature on the printer that I had to disable that fixed my network issues.

One thing you can try is changing the time the media library refreshes. Sometimes when mine updates it'll knock the whole thing offline. I set mine to update once or twice a day and it fixed that.

You know, now that I think about it, with your creative skills... if you're going to plug in a USB stick to watch movies, you should embed it into a VHS tape that has to be plugged into a gutted VCR to make it happen.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:You know, now that I think about it, with your creative skills... if you're going to plug in a USB stick to watch movies, you should embed it into a VHS tape that has to be plugged into a gutted VCR to make it happen.
I think that if they had ever developed am automatable VHS VCR, that is, one where the start, stop, record, fast0forward and rewind could be computer controlled, along with a digital-to-analog conversion, it might have provided a significant improvement in tape backup capability and cost.

I mean, 2400' rolls of 9 track mag tape were the standard in backup for 20+ years, held about 60 megabytes uncompressed and cost about $15.

So consider a SD broadcast is about 325x240x256 bits or about 2.4 megabytes per second. 2 hours at high speed is 7200 seconds, or 17.9 billion bytes for about $6 in the 1990s. That compares favorably, today, with a 16GB jump drive.

Unfortunately it can't touch Blu-Ray, Amazon has 100GB disks at $9.80 each in boxes of 10, allowing 1 TB for $98, however, now that means hard drives are the cheapest form of storage in large quantities, you can buy a 5 TB USB drive now for $113.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

?!?!?!??!!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

So much storage.

Can't remember what people are talking about.

Irony.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Now that VCRs are officially dead maybe I can do something with my old one. What if I put the downstairs router inside the VCR? I was gonna stick it in a pair of rabbit ears but those seem hard to find nowadays. At least nobody's been leaving any out at the curb on my way to work. Can I put a PS2 in a VCR? Hmmmmm.

THE
ROBOTS IN DISGUISE
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update

Not that anyone really is interested but I like posting stuff.

Finally got the basement desk, so I can hook up all the wires and cables and put the studio back together.

[youtube][/youtube]

Working on the laundry room at the same time. Needs paint and a new floor. I got that.

THE
MAYTAG PALLETTE
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Does anyone know why I have put this on my dryer door since 1988?

THE
AMUSING
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

No, but I'm curious as to why your dryer is on the far side of your basement, however.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That's the laundry room, It's my fall project. Wanted a first floor laundry so we moved the washer and dryer into their own room. Hadda rip the carpet out so's we can put down those ceramic tiles that look like wood.

THE
FOUR SEASONS
HOME IMPROVEMENT
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote:That's the laundry room, It's my fall project. Wanted a first floor laundry so we moved the washer and dryer into their own room. Hadda rip the carpet out so's we can put down those ceramic tiles that look like wood.

THE
FOUR SEASONS
HOME IMPROVEMENT
AARDVARK
Why it's on

Why it's on...

THE FAR SIDE

of your basement.

He said, nudge nudge wink wink.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ohhhhhhhh, I get jokes!

THE
WALKING A MILE
IN COMMADER'S CHAIR
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Wait. Just to confirm, your dryer says CAT FUD because of The Far Side, right? I've been on a cold streak lately and I want to make sure we're all on the same page here.