Breathing

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Breathing

Post by pinback »

Ol' Thich Nhat Hahn might have been onto something with that whole breathing deal.

If you struggle with depression and anxiety, my suggestion is to tie a bag around your head for one minute.

I've experienced suffocation a few times, once when nearly drowning in the ocean off of Venice beach, and then whenever my CPAP machine is on the fritz, I will have dreams of suffocating, and wake up to find that's exactly what was happening.

If you can learn (or be taught by force of nature) to appreciate your next breath, it can be a guiding force for peace and happiness in your life. Suffocation is the only real problem I've experience that I can truly say was happening RIGHT NOW. And since right now is all you ever really experience, taking joy and giving thanks for that next breath is all you really need to give your life a sense of joy, of gratitude, of refuge.

You're always breathing, and it's always great, because the alternative is much less appealing.

So, if you haven't suffocated before, that's my advice. Go to Publix, get a six pack of beer, come home, and tie the bag around your head for a minute.

Then take it off, breath deeply, crack a cold one and enjoy the rest of your life, stress-free!

No charge.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I once stole a garbage bag of helium from the local McDonald's and stuck my head in it and sang a Shirley Temple song while recording it on tape. I don't think it was for a whole minute but it was pretty exhilarating.

Does that count?

THE
REALLY APPRECIATING
EVERYTHING AFTER THAT
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Approved.

RetroRomper

Re: Breathing

Post by RetroRomper »

pinback wrote:No charge.
How about you charge enough for your hosting fees?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

CPAP machines are great until you are sleeping and the power flickers off and you wake up gasping for air as your reflexes have kicked in and told your brain that you are dying.

On very rare occasions, I sleep without mine. Nothing like dreaming about choking and gagging for air all night and waking up only to realize that it wasn't really a dream. Good times.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Now you are enlightened.

No char--- $20, please.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This would have been more fun if I could edit the links into my first post.

THE
CANT HAVE EVERYTHING
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:If you struggle with depression and anxiety, my suggestion is to tie a bag around your head for one minute.
I absolutely agree with this practice, you should do that. Oh wait, you're referring to a paper bag, not a plastic one. Darn. Never mind.

Actually, when I was having trouble breathing - at the time it was because I didn't know I was having congestive heart failure - the paramedics who showed up recommended breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth. Of course, now that I'm taking a shitload of medications I don't have to do that, but it is a possibility.
And since right now is all you ever really experience, taking joy and giving thanks for that next breath is all you really need to give your life a sense of joy, of gratitude, of refuge.
"Death is not important. Death is insignificant. Eternity is what is important. And eternity is now."
- Ayn Rand
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:CPAP machines are great until you are sleeping and the power flickers off and you wake up gasping for air as your reflexes have kicked in and told your brain that you are dying.
You don't have a UPS? I haven't run my computers without connecting them to a UPS since before I stopped being able to walk, call it 15 years. If you have a large wnough one you could add your machine to the load. Alternatively, a dedicated one at the $100-200 level can probably supply enough power to keep your machine running until the alarm awakens you.

One time we lost power when I was living over at my sister's place. The one thing she was worried about was her fish tank. So I shut down everything - since I had to anyway - then disconnected the UPS from my computers and hooked up the fish tank's air pump and the light, turning the light off except for when she would be inspecting her fish. The small amount of power an air pump uses means it kept the tank going for about 15 hours until the power came back.

I think since your CPAP machine is that important, either cut it in with your existing UPS or get a second one. Buying a $100 or $200 UPS once every five years or so - the average length that I've found the battery lasts before it has to be replaced - is not a huge expense to save your life if a power emergency happens.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: "Death is not important. Death is insignificant. Eternity is what is important. And eternity is now."
- Ayn Rand
Please don't do that.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote:
Flack wrote:CPAP machines are great until you are sleeping and the power flickers off and you wake up gasping for air as your reflexes have kicked in and told your brain that you are dying.
You don't have a UPS? I haven't run my computers without connecting them to a UPS since before I stopped being able to walk, call it 15 years. If you have a large wnough one you could add your machine to the load. Alternatively, a dedicated one at the $100-200 level can probably supply enough power to keep your machine running until the alarm awakens you.

One time we lost power when I was living over at my sister's place. The one thing she was worried about was her fish tank. So I shut down everything - since I had to anyway - then disconnected the UPS from my computers and hooked up the fish tank's air pump and the light, turning the light off except for when she would be inspecting her fish. The small amount of power an air pump uses means it kept the tank going for about 15 hours until the power came back.

I think since your CPAP machine is that important, either cut it in with your existing UPS or get a second one. Buying a $100 or $200 UPS once every five years or so - the average length that I've found the battery lasts before it has to be replaced - is not a huge expense to save your life if a power emergency happens.
01. My computer is connected to a GPS.

02. My bedroom is nowhere near my computer room. It's not even on the same floor of my house.

03. Putting a CPAP on a UPS won't "save your life." You don't die if it loses power. It's just annoying.

04. While I am sure you will once again prove me wrong, I can't think of anything on this planet -- ANYTHING -- I care less about than your sister's fish.

Anything.

ANYthing.

A
N
Y
T
H
I
N
G

Code: Select all

_   ___     _________ _    _ _____ _   _  _____ 
     /\   | \ | \ \   / /__   __| |  | |_   _| \ | |/ ____|
    /  \  |  \| |\ \_/ /   | |  | |__| | | | |  \| | |  __ 
   / /\ \ | . ` | \   /    | |  |  __  | | | | . ` | | |_ |
  / ____ \| |\  |  | |     | |  | |  | |_| |_| |\  | |__| |
 /_/    \_\_| \_|  |_|     |_|  |_|  |_|_____|_| \_|\_____|                                   
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

AArdvark wrote:This would have been more fun if I could edit the links into my first post.

THE
CANT HAVE EVERYTHING
AARDVARK
I shall give you that power.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Give me the power to asphyxiate my sister's fish. That would be worth losing an eye over.

THE
UNINTERRUPTED
AARDVARK