Cyberganked Greenlight checklist

Discuss text adventures here! The classics like those from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Adventure International and Level 9 and the ones we're making today.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Cyberganked Greenlight checklist

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am going to have the campaign for Cyberganked's Greenlight thingie go live this week. Here's my checklist:

1) Add some decent screenshots to the Steam page

2) I have audio to do a German trailer thanks to Taleslinger. I think one of the big things for Greenlight will be updates. So I don't need this finished to launch, but it should be an early update.

3) I should find places that let you mention your Greenlight campaign, and talk about CGA's there. Maybe some CRPG sites?

4) There is a screenshot I like for the game's splash image that has a redhead on an old car. It would be perfect if I had an Amiga or old computer in the trash bin for that picture, instead of what is there. If I add that to the photo, it would truly say lots about what kind of game Cyberganked is.

5) If I am doing updates through Steam, then I need to note that on the JC main page. If I am going to do updates on JC, I need to update Steam when I have a new blog post.

This reminds me, I should get a mobile interface for JC. :/
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I think that in your pitch of the game, you should explain how you're trying to improve on the Wasteland character skills system by using the parser approach. I think a lot of people will be initially confused by the game's approach and a quick description would not only be useful in helping them understand it but it could also help get people more excited about it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I think that in your pitch of the game, you should explain how you're trying to improve on the Wasteland character skills system by using the parser approach. I think a lot of people will be initially confused by the game's approach and a quick description would not only be useful in helping them understand it but it could also help get people more excited about it.
That sounds great. That sounds like the first Greenlight update!

I launched it today, to ensure I would be busy and therefore be unable to obsess at the voting and stats:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =438139803

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me come this far.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Okay everybody, shut up. Here's what's going on.

30% of the people that visit the page vote yes.

70% vote no.

Voting no has NO EFFECT. They only count yes votes. This is the same for all the games in the top 10, according to the admin-only stats.

Hundreds of people get on Steam and click "no" and waste their time each day.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about the non-us-communities that play games, then I don't know what else to say.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Well, they are being honest. They are asked if they would buy the game. If they wouldn't, they click no.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yes, but there is no effect or no reason to. You can just go to the next game, but they want to click no. (For no reason.)

It fascinates me.

I also find it hilarious that the average scores of the top 10 games in Greenlight at the moment have 70% negative votes. I'm sure that the games that are in the top 10 in any given day are probably good. Part of me thought that Steam gamers wanted interesting stuff that AAA companies weren't giving them. That is not remotely the truth!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I didn't know the "no" votes don't count. Nobody knows that. All you see is the question.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Wassssssssssssssssssssting

Their

LiveeeeeeeeeessssssssSSSssSSssSSsssssth

Ice Cream Jonsey

FABIO on Caltrops said I should include trading cards over Steam. Is there a limit to the number of cards you can give players? I would like to give them 400 trading cards the first time they start the game, thus ruining any chance of them ever seeing their other cards again. I want players to go to the forum in tears because I wrecked cards for them.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

There has to be a limit, because they are used to "level up" the Steam profile.

Cards are always good, since they raise the game's value in bundles and such. When bundled games have cards, people buy them because they can make the money back by selling the cards.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Awesome. I can make cards all day long.

Also, we offended our first person!

(There is an enemy in the game called the auction haggler. This was the brainchild of Flack: an enemy that wins an auction on eBay and then wants to tell you how much they think they should pay for it, if they pay for it at all.)

From the comments:
lol I just win ebay auction this morning and suddenly change my mind. So the discription of this project kinda offensive
Hee hee hee.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Last night I had a Q&A with Moop in an effort to win his vote.

Read it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1433221764

pinback

Post by pinback »

That's some of your best work.

At this point I feel there's little chance the game itself is going to be as good as the Steam Greenlight page for it.

Actually, that's a good finale for whenever the Greenlight campaign ultimately succeeds or fails. You come on and declare...

"There was never a Greenlight for this game. You've been playing the game the whole time.

...and you just got your ass CYBERGANKED."
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote:That's some of your best work.

At this point I feel there's little chance the game itself is going to be as good as the Steam Greenlight page for it.
Well, yes. The games are always better when they exist in our minds. Although with the GL thing out of the way I am enjoying making the game again. I needed this. I needed both the loving support of my friends and the caustic nastiness of pieces of absolute garbage.

"There was never a Greenlight for this game. You've been playing the game the whole time.

...and you just got your ass CYBERGANKED."
In this, the REAL game, "shoe" has the highest score so far, clearly.