The Pinback Show, LIVE on KHUM!

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Does anyone want to volunteer to tape this shit off the stream?
My computer is blind
It requires my dedication
All this sound we hear
Needs no conversation
We record this together
Uh huh
Makin' love with each other
Unh uh
Tape shit off the stream
That is what we do
No one in between
How can we be wrong
Capture along with me
To an MP3
And we rely on each other
Uh huh

- Parody of Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, Islands in the Stream

Current Clock: 1:15 to go.

Current Clock: 1:03 to go.
Some woman is singing some song in falsetto about some other guy's boyfriend, from the repetition of these phrases I presume the song is either named "Girl Run Away" or "He's Trouble Now."
She also says she'd help if she wasn't an old oak tree. DJ comes on at the end and says it's Sarah Hampton, "Tree Hum."
Last edited by Tdarcos on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Does anyone want to volunteer to tape this shit off the stream?

Even just the first hour would be fine, I think, but the more the merrier.

(Yes, it IS 2-7 PACIFIC time. Thank you, Paul.)
For some reason the current version of Audacity doesn't do it, but the older one will capture what is sent to the speakers/headphones. My other computer has it, I can play it through Firefox and Audacity will capture it. I may just capture the whole 5 hours or break it up into pieces for easier downloading.

Update: It's 4:55pm EDT, I've started recording. I'll just let it run. Having listened to the first few minutes, I was surprised to discover Clash mentioned he's been a DJ there for 7 years. ("So they've paid me to be here for 7 years, obviously the standards are low.")

Ben also mentioned he's been wanting to be a DJ since he saw WKRP in Cincinnati.

Since apparently it's mostly music, I'll make a cut version of the show minus the music so we can just hear Ben make a fool of himself.

Considering he's getting married soon I guess that's appropriate.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I was under the impression that the studio would have the skimmer running. The recorder that is only active when the mics are open..

THE
INSIDE LINGO
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is total bullshit! Neither Larry nor Ben are on gchat, they aren't responding to the request email line, Ben isn't looking at his mobile phone and they are ignoring the phone number. How the fuck am I going to make this about ME if they've blocked me from participating??!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ben may have given us a shout-out. I got back to my computer late, so I heard him discussing it, but not the first part. So it was either us our his goodtime SC2 buddies. :(

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Goddammit I am not happy.

At one point I stopped the recording in the middle of a song, saved it and started a new one. Somewhere after 45 minutes or so in the new save, either Firefox stopped monitoring the stream and/or Audacity stopped recording it correctly. Everything locked up and I think I lost a big chunk, maybe 1/2 hour or more on top of the 45 minutes that may or may not have been saved; I'll have to check later after I stop recording and see what's there.

So I lost a piece of the show. So now, every so often - not more than each twenty minutes - I'm stopping Audacity - during a song, of course - saving the file, exiting Audacity, saving the website address, exiting Firefox, then restarting Firefox, restarting Audacity, pasting the stream address into the browser, wait for it to resume playing the song, then restart Audacity. This should prevent further chop-off crashes.

I'm not really listening to the show because I don't care for the music being played; I have headphones connected to that computer so I can monitor its output.. I'll catch Ben's schtick when I edit the songs out of the saved audio files.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Yes, I gave a Jolt Country shout-out.

I did a five hour radio show today. It was the greatest experience of my life and nobody gives a fuck and nobody understands why it was the greatest experience of my life.

FUCK ALL Y'ALL.

(And thank you for listening to KHUM, Radio Without the Rules.)
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Let's check the ol' KHUM studio email address for some listener feedback.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Subject: Suck
To: studio@khum.com

Quit this

---------------------------------
Last edited by pinback on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This post was accidentally damaged by me, I didn't mean to edit it, I meant to reply to it. This will be posted below.
Last edited by Tdarcos on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

In unsurprising news, that's the wrong link.

http://in-the-matter-of.com/ben-1.mp3
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote:Yes, I gave a Jolt Country shout-out.

I did a five hour radio show today. It was the greatest experience of my life and nobody gives a fuck and nobody understands why it was the greatest experience of my life.

FUCK ALL Y'ALL.

(And thank you for listening to KHUM, Radio Without the Rules.)
I'll bet it was an awesome experience.

When I was in 9th grade, our gifted class got to have an "OJT" day where we picked a profession, studied it, and then got to go sit in and shadow someone of that profession. A lot of the kids picked things like "doctor" and "lawyer" ... me, I picked "radio disk jockey," and after submitting a request, I got to sit in the Mark Shannon and the Breakfast Flakes, the most popular breakfast show on the most popular radio station at the time (locally).

I had to show up at 5am and go through the morning routine before the show started at 6am. Then, for 3 hours, I got to hang out with the morning crew. I even got a little shout out and was on the air for, oh, 10 seconds or so. Even then, it was an awesome experience, one of those life changing events that I still talk about.

I actually know a few local DJ's and they have all told me that to get into the business you have to be willing to move as the market demands. I'm not, and that's where that dream ended for me.

Anyway, congrats on the gig. How did all of this come about?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Missed the first 20 minutes or so, but the rest of it's here, including the JC BBS shout-out, if you're interested:

http://moltobenny.com/benshow.mp3

I'm not biased in any way when I say it's the best thing I've ever heard on that station.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Congrats on the gig. How did all of this come about?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hey Pinback, how about you stop being a prick and answer the man's fucking question.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, when is the weekly podcast going up again?

THE
PLAN AHEAD
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

If anyone has any questions, just leave 'em right here and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:If anyone has any questions, just leave 'em right here and I will get back to you as soon as possible!
When are you going to put something (excluding my picture) on the front page of your site beyond a black "this site is dark in protest" banner?
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:I'm not biased in any way when I say it's the best thing I've ever heard on that station.
Considering the music that they play, I dare say the EAS notification message (the new replacement for the Emergency Broadcast System) that consists of a modem signal in bursts, is better than the stuff they run on there!
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

As I said, the first edited file of about 2.5 mb running about 17 1/2 minutes was available:
http://in-the-matter-of.com/ben-1.mp3 the second tranche is now available at
http://in-the-matter-of.com/ben-2.mp3 which covers from 5pm until a bit later, it's about 1.7 megabytes and runs about 8 minutes. Again, just Ben and Larry, the music and commercials have been removed (except a few seconds either way so that all of the speech is kept.)

You want to right-click on the link and click on "save as" or whatever your browser says, you probably don't want to bother streaming the audio which may happen if you just click on either of the links.

These two files are part of "Ben Parrish's Greatest Hits, Vol. 1" as it says in the ID2 tags in the MP3s.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Thank you for that, Tdarcos. Particularly for catching the beginning of the show, which we weren't able to do live.