Torch Variables

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Admiral Ackguh

Torch Variables

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

Has anyone used the TORCHL and TORCHD variables?

I find that they cannot be used in a SET statement if to the right of the equals. If I enter:

SET Z2 = TORCHD

The editor replaces it with:

SET Z2 = 0

Are these variables supposed to be write-only?

:A.A.

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

After some research, I found out that TORCHL and TORCHD cannot be used to the right of the = in a SET statement, nor in SAYVAL.

They can be assigned and compared, and otherwise work properly. Just a very minor bug; one I can work around....

In one of my games I have a mining helmet, which functions just like a normal helmet, but also provides light when worn. The step macro has "perpetual light" code that uses TORCHL and TORCHD.

- A.A.

Garth

Post by Garth »

Sounds cool and thanks for the heads up on that bug..

rld

Post by rld »

Would it be still helpful for your game to be able to read these two variables in macros, or have you already worked around it?

I could implement a hack that returned the values for TORCHL and TORCHD when the variables INV[0] and INV[1] are read. The macro editor allows you to enter INV[0] and INV[1] as variables, but INV[0] is meaningless and INV[1] is the same as the MONEY variable.

Admiral Ackguh

Post by Admiral Ackguh »

rld wrote:Would it be still helpful for your game to be able to read these two variables in macros, or have you already worked around it?
I've already worked around it, and consider this a very minor bug. But thanks for the offer. :)
I could implement a hack that returned the values for TORCHL and TORCHD when the variables INV[0] and INV[1] are read. The macro editor allows you to enter INV[0] and INV[1] as variables, but INV[0] is meaningless and INV[1] is the same as the MONEY variable.
Unless other users have a pressing demand for this new feature, I would suggest you put it on your long-term goal list.

- A:A: