Adventure Construction Set

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Disc Master I

Post by Disc Master I »

Has anyone thought of re-creating ACS for modern Windows XP/VISTA and LINUX systems? I've stumbled upon quite a few sites where programmers submit their modern remakes of famous classic computer games of the past.

I'd love to see a new version of ACS with at least 32 colors.

If anyone is aware of a project aimed to recreate the original ACS for the PC please let me know.

Thanks
John

foody

Post by foody »

If they are going to make an adventure construction set for Windows modern age it better be Ultima 7 style adventure.
I WANT ULTIMA 7 OR ULTMIA 6 CONSTRUCTION SET! I WILL DO ANYTHING! PAY ANYTHING! GIVE ANYTHING !

DanElmaleh

Responses

Post by DanElmaleh »

Hey, thanks for the kind comments and the link.

As for the screenshots and the link to the author's email. Yes, when I write the upload piece this week I will include that. Good suggestions.

As for the updating the ACS software -- I would be all for that. I have some programming experience, but it is all in VB so I'm not sure I'd be of much use; I could probably write a database for it pretty easily as most of my experience is on that end. I would be glad to advertise the idea on the site if you want to put something together. Email me at DanElmaleh@hotmail.com and let's figure out how to do this. I think it's a great idea.

foody

Post by foody »

I am a VB programmer myself and I am working on a big company that deals intensively with VB.NET, ASP.NET and SQL. However, I am wondering...would you be willing to unite with me and make a whole new Adventure Construction Set and call it "Adventure Construction Set II" that makes isometric action rpg games?
I WANT ULTIMA 7 OR ULTMIA 6 CONSTRUCTION SET! I WILL DO ANYTHING! PAY ANYTHING! GIVE ANYTHING !

DanElmaleh

ACS II

Post by DanElmaleh »

Sure, I think that sounds fun and like something that is needed. It's hard to find gaps in what is needed nowdays, but I think an updated ACS would be something we could all enjoy. I'm in. I guess we need to first decide what we want and don't want from the original and what we want to add... what do you think? I say we start making lists then compare.

DanElmaleh

ACS II

Post by DanElmaleh »

I forgot to mention, one of my good friends from college makes a living porting games from windows to linux so I am going to ask him if he can get in on this, too. I think this might be right up his alley, what do you think?

foody

Post by foody »

I like it but we need to go all the way. Many internet projects who proclaim they are going to do this and that end up canceling before the end of the month. Many times it is not organized for the developers to work together and united, other times things like we don't have time comes in motion et c. If we are going to do this, it have to be done Saturday and Sunday because those are the times where I am truly free from work, also we need a channel room so we can discuss everything. There is a need for a team leader to discuss features and assign tasks to the programmers. It need to be organized in such away that if we follow it all the way that time alone would be an obstacle in completing the project. What I mean by this, that it would only take time to complete a project and not become a headless soldier or a blind mind.

As for what sort of style, I am more into looking for an Action Isometric top down RPG game. Interact would be real life time, etc.

DanElmaleh

ACS II

Post by DanElmaleh »

I agree. And I think with my crazy schedule all I can really commit to is being in on the initial design sessions, helping to craft the concept and writing the database for it. I think we might need another person or two to fully make it work. the last thing I want to do is commit time to something that does not even get off the ground.

foody

I am building a new Adventure....

Post by foody »

Hello,

I am building a new game for Adventure Construction Set for the Apple II :D I just wanted to update you guys with this news :smile: As soon as it is finished I will upload an dsk copy to the website :)

bruce

Re: I am building a new Adventure....

Post by bruce »

foody wrote: I am building a new game for Adventure Construction Set for the Apple II
RAWK.

Bruce

foody

Post by foody »

Hey,

I have just one question, how do you make an event in Adventure Construction Set where you need to drop 4 different items in that spot in order to learn a spell? When that spell is cast, I need to recollect these four items again, go back to that same spot, drop these items again and I will relearn the spell, how do I do this again? Thanks in advance.

PS "What I did is the following, I have made a custom space with the following conditions:

Custom Space -> Spell if one drops A 24-Troll Eye, Activate All things at this place

However, when I did this event it doesn't work at all."

jjsonick

Post by jjsonick »

Being able to do that repeatedly in one space is too complicated for ACS. What I'd suggest is this: make a narrow corridor, either as part of a room or on its own, that's only one space wide and at least 5 spaces long, and only enterable from ONE direction. Put one custom space in each space before the last one -- each custom space will require that the player is carrying one of the ingredients before allowing the player to pass (and you can use the custom reply to let the player know what item they need to pass). The 4th of these spaces should give the player a 'dummy' spell or item (called 'worthy of spell' or something). Then the last space in the corridor can be a do-all space that, if the player has the 'dummy' spell or item (which we are using as a flag), does the following: 1) gives the player the magic reward 2) removes all 4 ingredients and the from the player 3) removes the 'dummy' spell/item. Have the wall at the end of this corridor be a one-way door that teleports the player back outside the corridor.

I kept the consuming of the ingredient items til the last step because otherwise the player could get stuck in the corridor if they had some, but not all, of the ingredients.

jjsonick

Post by jjsonick »

Oh crap! That way won't work - I forgot ACS doesn't have a direct 'remove item' spell/command - items only get consumed as a side-effect of a custom space doing something else, so you can't have a bunch of different remove item spells in the do-all stack at the end of the corridor. Hm, maybe you would have to make each custom space along the corridor consume the item needed to pass -- and then do something cheezy like have all the walls surrounding the corridor be one-way doors that teleport the player out of the corridor, in case the player gets stuck.

foody

Post by foody »

That is not what I really wanted unfortunately as I want the spell to disappear after usage and the player comes back and drop again the four ingredients to re-obtain the spell and repeat the process (you know the fun of haunting for the ingredients). However, I think I get the jid of what you are saying, I like this, I will do it.

Chris H

ACS and ACK

Post by Chris H »

haha -- funny to see ACK mentioned after all this time. I'm the Chris mentioned earlier in this thread... yes, ACK was definitely the product of someone who really enjoyed ACS (on the C64) then the Ultima series, and then had way too much time on his hands. I probably still have the ACK source code kicking around, but it's in Turbo Pascal. :) But if anyone's interested you can mail me at chris 903 at g mail dot com.

Chris H.

Update on ACK

Post by Chris H. »

Hi all,

Update on ACK: I'm working on a version 2.3 which will fix/improve sound support, remove the 'registration' requirements, and include the full documentation. Very minor changes though -- it's essentially the same old DOS game, and still generally requires DosBox to run.

Should be ready in the next week or so. More details when I have them...

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Excellent news! Definitely, when you are all set, let us know. I'll update the main page of JC with a download link, a regular link and everything. Cool to hear!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

jjsonick

Post by jjsonick »

Yes, I'm doing some testing of the new ACK beta and pestering Chris with some probably unreasonable requests. ;)

Of course I'll update the ACK site with the new version and info when it's ready.

foody

Post by foody »

Hold on a second are they making new versions of ACS already? Are there plan to make a Windows version of it with more features, etc?

jjsonick

Post by jjsonick »

No, this is ACK that's being updated -- but ACK is pretty much ACS with more features. It's a DOS program, but will run outside of DOSBox -- it's just that sound won't work and some animations play too fast unless you run it in DOSBox.