Manufacturing stuff

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Manufacturing stuff

Post by AArdvark »

This cute little latch was the source of a whole bunch of stress today. There's a story waiting to be told, I have to get it right first. Probably type it up offline and paste it in later.

THE
AARDVARK

The Happiness Engine

Re: Manufacturing stuff

Post by The Happiness Engine »

I've always been real bad at this sort of lever-trickery, but seeing it explained has been completely amazing. What actuates with this?!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Oh I've got an idea where you can paste it in later.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Crap, I barely get ten minutes to myself to post stuff anymore. OK, long story summarized; the thru hole is 12mm with an (+.0007 / -.0) tolerance after plating. We ran the job a year ago and all was fine. This time around the inspector rejected the parts because he said the bore was too small, or would be too small after plating. The parts are going to be late because my boss kinda dropped the ball. The owner kinda tore into him because of that and then he finds out we have to re-work them because the inspector rejected them, which means more lateness and man-hours spent on this job. We pulled some parts from stock and discovered that they are exactly the same as the ones we just made, size-wise, This means that THE CUSTOMER bought them and used them last year with no problems. The problem is with our inspector holding up the works because he is from a company, which I will not name here, but used to make yellow boxes of film. He feels a need to justify his job by causing delays in the thru-put. NEEDLESS delays in the thru-put. Crap like this is why the yellow box of film company went chapter 11.

I don't know exactly what the part does, we usually aren't privvy to that kind of stuff unless we are making the whole assembly. I know it's for Knorr Brake so maybe it's part of train window or something.

THE
MASS TRANSIT
AARDVARK

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ex-yellow boxers in Rochester are the worst. 20 years ago I hired one for cold calling and he was the most entitled useless piece of shit. 55 year old guy sitting pretty on his k****k pension so doesn't really need the job so makes it all about himself.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Ah. FUUUUCK That Guy. I've been inordinately fortunate enough in my life to be able to tell those kind of people to fuck off in so many words.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

The Happiness Engine wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:36 pm Ah. FUUUUCK That Guy. I've been inordinately fortunate enough in my life to be able to tell those kind of people to fuck off in so many words.
Rochester NY had a unique problem in that a fortune 500 company started shedding thousands of middle managers about 25 years ago to the point its buildings became either empty shells or parking lots. All the useless fucks who drove that company into the ground hit the streets and with their pensions and exit packages unfairly competed with people starting their careers, sending Rochester's job prospects into the toilet. The flip side is they all probably did horrible jobs and hurt the local economy worse.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This city has been brain-draining since the seventies and it only got worse when all the menial jobs went to China and the middle managers got turned loose. Ever seen that RG&E movie?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ice Cream Jonsey

Rochester NY had a unique problem in that a fortune 500 company started shedding thousands of middle managers about 25 years ago to the point its buildings became either empty shells or parking lots. All the useless fucks who drove that company into the ground hit the streets and with their pensions and exit packages unfairly competed with people starting their careers, sending Rochester's job prospects into the toilet.
Wouldn't they have been less attractive because they would have demanded a greater salary? Or do you mean that because they had pensions and such they would take "less" and were competing with people with less experience who really needed every dollar they could get?

I could tell I had to get out in 1998. I was making $8.60 an hour at Xerox then. The first interview I had in Colorado would have me at 37,000 a year, which I guess is $17.70 an hour. I didn't get that job but did get one where I think they had me at $11 an hour and I got an offer for $24,000 a year three months in. 24,000 was a shitty wage in 1998, don't get me wrong, but the fact that it was much, much better than Rochester made me glad to have left.

People say there's cost of living differences all around the country and I understand what they mean, but at some point money is money and I'll take the job where there is more money.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Wait, your own inspector from your own company pulled this shit?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Yes. He's a nice guy but sometimes he gets a bug up his hair about dumb shit

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:19 pmOr do you mean that because they had pensions and such they would take "less" and were competing with people with less experience who really needed every dollar they could get?
yeah, that one. The guy im thinking of was a 55 year old senior business development executive willing to work for about 20k plus bonuses when i was making 50k+ to hire and manage him. He was a worthless piece of shit and had to go quick. I went up against fuckers like this for jobs, every time the company went with the "safe" option.