Let's Save & Preserve ACK!

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

RetroRomper

Re: Let's Save & Preserve ACK!

Post by RetroRomper »

Here is where we're with this project:

1. I contacted an online acquaintance who will have time to work on the longplay videos once their current project finished around June 10th.

2. I've everything to send out to the community written up, but asked a Editor / Journalist friend to take a look first as I don't want to have any glaring mistakes or hiccups in the missive when sending it out.

3. Talked to a group that DATs games and am talking to them about including ACK in their collection, though it's usually system specific and they don't include PC games normally. May be able to add it to MAME, but I'll need to inquire with my contacts after there is something to DAT.

4. If someone says I've abandoned the project again, I'm abandoning the project.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:18 pm The Let's Plays I watch are ones with a lot of good editing [...]
Any examples of ones with good editing you've enjoyed and been able to get into? Would be great as starting places for our own endeavors.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Nothing remotely similar to ACK but I am amazed at most everything Zisteau does. Guy should have really become a film editor for the amount of work he puts into a video. SO MUCH streaming is just one guy staring a screen while mining dong for 10 hours, he nicely cuts all that and adds an entertaining voice track. (p sure you can still watch all the time-wasting on twitch, don't have time to watch his entire life and live my own at the same time.)

What he's currently doing:

Montage-montage:

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: First I have to see if my NAS itself works, it got dropped again and while it's been OK before I want to check.
We always hang in a Buffalo Stance
We drop the drive every time we dance
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I'm abandoning this project.

Good luck everyone!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

RetroRomper wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:18 am I'm abandoning this project.
That's too bad. What was the tipping point? I hope it's not my fault.

Now that you've freed up some time for yourself, will you be participating in the MAME club? You're not going to be able to get a 5th place finish just by not doing anything anymore. There are too many good players and they are too hungry for ultimate victory to let that happen.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

RetroRomper wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:18 am I'm abandoning this project.
Any thoughts on where it all went wrong?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I don't remember making that post, but I'm not abandoning the project.

I'm officially abandoning abandoning this project.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RetroRomper wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:10 pm I don't remember making that post, but I'm not abandoning the project.

I'm officially abandoning abandoning this project.
Aide: Mr. Robinson, did you have a bowel movement?
Me: No, I don't think so.
Aide: Are you sure?
Me: Are you calling me a liar? I don't think I've ever been so insulted in my... Oh crap, I got so mad I just shit myself! Look what you made me do!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I'm liking this new Tdarcos persona.

Anyway... I've been talking with the fine Madam who will be making the videos and this was her latest response:
Damn Awesome Pakistani Girl wrote:Hey thereee
So I played Brigands right now, and mannn it was so much funn I was going crazy and noticing me my brother also joined in and then mom was lowkey about to disown us because we let out huge screams whenever an archer got killed ooof so much fun!
I'm definitely up for thiss I'll do the video making for you for all the games!!
We're GAME ON in regards to the Long Play videos.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

You found a girl in Pakistan to play ACK games? I just want to make sure I understand. Because that is amazing.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Her name is Maham and yup, we met on Fiverr.

We only started chatting when she very nervously asked if we could mutually cancel a task she took on, but discovered was far out of her level of experience and then well.. She showed me her tender Nutella Brownies and then I talked to her about retro games, showed her some of the scans I was doing, and she became hooked.

She seems to be legitimately excited about it (even though she is being paid a little bit, she didn't need to seem so enthused as it was already a done deal) and as you saw, had actual fun with one of the pre-made test Adventures.

This touches on a wider philosophy I have regarding people that I've developed these days, but that would require it's own thread.

But yes, I've confirmed in multiple ways that she is from Pakistan (which is pretty cool, but I've roped in people from Brazil, Argentina, and Venezuela at this point. This whole thing is always freaking amazing) and is really into the retro games stuff I've shown her.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Very, very few people know how far I went with Hit Save!, ICJ. This isn't said flippantly: it's further than my own imagination envisioned.

What the foundation of all this is, is that I found ways to legitimately help people through video game history - isn't that such a strange accomplishment?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

You're distracting yourself with this nonsense. Your entire focus should be on happiness but instead it's been on all of this nonsense. I still feel like you're probably just trolling us, but just in case, stop with this, and focus on happiness.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:23 pm Very, very few people know how far I went with Hit Save!, ICJ. This isn't said flippantly: it's further than my own imagination envisioned.
I mean, is there a website with games preserved on it?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I worked heavily with https://www.gamingalexandria.com/

We aren't on the best of terms these days, but I do think I heavily influenced and managed to scrounge up quite a bit of the things they eventually created content around.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

Waitasec. You were the Executive Director for a preservation project that had no web presence of it's own?

Can Hit Save be said to exist when there is not a tangible thing there? I'm trying to understand. I really am. I'm on your side here.

You don't know what you're talking about. Do you?

Ice Cream Jonsey

I've checked out the Alexandria site. Thanks for linking it. These people are being mean to you? Do you want help?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:50 am You found a girl in Pakistan to play ACK games? I just want to make sure I understand. Because that is amazing.
That's not what he said, which was:
RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:16 am Anyway... I've been talking with the fine Madam
So, actually he found a Pakistani hooker and is paying her to play ACK games. Which makes sense, she's probably done other similarly disgusting things for money!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:50 am You found a girl in Pakistan to play ACK games? I just want to make sure I understand. Because that is amazing.
That's not what he said, which was:
RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:16 am Anyway... I've been talking with the fine Madam
So, actually he found a Pakistani hooker and is paying her to play ACK games. Which makes sense, she's probably done other similarly disgusting things for money!
You'd say Retro's a pal, right? One of your online e-buddies?