Toonces 2004-2020 R.I.P.

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Toonces 2004-2020 R.I.P.

Post by AArdvark »

More later...

AArdvark

Re: Toonces 2004-2020 R.I.P.

Post by AArdvark »

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

So sorry to hear this Vark. You gave Toonces the perfect name and a great home...I'm going to miss seeing him mentioned or popping up in photos. This is genuinely one of the hardest things a person has to go through in life so do let yourself grieve. I still find myself thinking of my cat at least once a week even though he's been gone for a while now.

It's been a really rough year and a half for Jolt Country pets unfortunately. Frobozz, CO's cat (who was the Methuselah of the group), and now Toonces. Well, it looks like it's going to be another long night playing Picoroids for me tonight because life is too depressing to do anything else right now. I'll be sure to destroy Covid-19 a few dozen times in honor of Toonces!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Toones hit the cat lottery when he met the Vark family, bro. I'm sorry, pal. It's the goddamn worst.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I am sorry to hear about your loss, 'Vark. A family pet can be as treasured a member of the family as a blood relative. Maybe more. I still remember Princess, a beautiful freemartin calico I had for 15 years up until about 1990 when she was hit by a car. I loved that cat very much, and still think of her fondly on occasion.

I am remided of a line from the book Down to a Sunless Sea, and it applies to both Princess, and my dear friend Andrea: "I will forget her soon, but I will love her forever." And I have. Both. To both.

Not to trivialize what has happened to you, but you might smile at this atory.

Around 1978 after having had him for about 5 years, our Lhasa Apso named Teddy Bear died. My mother did something extremely common {which I didn´t know it then). She went to a pet store, foud a dog that looked exactly like Teddy Bear, bought it for $300.00, gave him the same name, then apparently pretended it was the same dog.

If you're willing to go that route, you could do something similar (but with a cat, of course.)

I suppose the biggest problem for you now is having to drive your kids to places yourself.

This message sent from a mobile tablet.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Sorry to hear that man. How old?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Sorry for your loss, just imagine Toonces and Runner swapping stories in cat heaven and hopefully that cheers you up a bit.

Jizaboz wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:00 am How old?
16 years, it's part of the thread's title.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Billy Mays wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 am Sorry for your loss, just imagine Toonces and Runner swapping stories in cat heaven and hopefully that cheers you up a bit.

Jizaboz wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:00 am How old?
16 years, it's part of the thread's title.
Eh yeah my mind drifted after opening the thread. Thanks.

That is a fine and long life for a cat!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 amThanks.
No problem. Maybe I should have just let that one go but I figured that it would have to be addressed sooner or later.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Sorry to hear that, Vark. Losing a pet is awful, but I always try to think about all the good times they had. Sixteen years is a long time!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thank you everyone. It never gets easier when you lose a pet. I am glad we didn't have to 'make the decision' though. We woke up in the morning and he didn't. I started a nice pet cemetery in the backyard for him. I hope he doesn't go all Stephen King on us.

There's couple more videos I'll post of Toonces. His loss still hits me a little unexpectedly now and then. I will miss him.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

I very sorry, too. I'm am obsessive cat lover and in last fall I had to help my friend Theo leave his pain behind, so I know how it feels. There's not much to say except "I'm sorry" and "get another kitty as soon as you feel ready." Unfortunately all we can do is miss them and remember how much we loved them.

Theo was with me almost 19 years, from 2001-2019. I love all cats, but the reason he was especially important to me is because he represented my old life, and shared some very difficult and lonely times with me. I got him as a kitten when I had just moved back from Europe and was in MA stupidly trying to start my own business. Then when that failed, he any my other kitty Timmy spent a decade doing a tour of New England and DC - getting jobs, losing jobs, periods of poverty and unemployment, moving constantly, much loneliness. But I always had my guys. Between 1999 and 2012 I think I had a dozen different mailing addresses. But Timmy and Theo were always there with me. After Timmy went away circa 2010 due to a tragic mistake on my part for which I will never forgive myself, Theo was my remaining pal. He was the most loyal friend one could ever ask for and loved me so much - and ONLY me, as it turned out, because when my now-wife came along he was very aloof towards the competition. Though he mellowed out to her gradually, he never was nearly as affectionate with her as with me, saving all his real lovins for me. When he developed squamous cell carcinoma there was nothing I could do. I treated his pain as well as I could for a while, but you know how cats are - wren in pain, they retreat and withdraw. When his doctor said "even with the best meds, he's in a lot of pain" I couldn't put off the decision anymore. Luckily my amazing wife Chanda was a vet tech for a very long time and helped me so much to give him the very best care possible and made the euthanasia as easy for me as possible. He died in my arms. At least at the end he was very calm and comfortable. He had a sedative, Propophol, just beforehand, and it's nice because it makes them all laid back and hazy and melty and even a squirmy cat will be happy in your arms being petted. But man, giving the nod to have them do the final shot.... it's one of the toughest things I ever have to do. Sniff. Now I'm al verklempt. :sad:

I'd put a picture, but I don't have one at any URL and I don't know how to upload one to the message. :-(

"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It never gets any easier... I'm glad that I have some video of Toonces. He's the first pet that got captured forever on video

Everyone please take gigabytes of video of your pets

Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Yeah, I always advise people to take a lot of pictures, especially of everyday things. It's great to have pictures at special events and so on, but years later when you look at them and think back, it's really cool to say "Oh, that's the bedroom of my old apartment at <location>!" or "Hey, that's my old desk at work!" My wife and I try to take pictures of the sign outside every restaurant we eat at (in addition to regular pictures). Personally, I take one or two pictures every day at 4:04pm, no matter where I am. That way I can look back years later and think "Oh, right - that's where I was living/what I was doing at that time in my life." Of it's just a picture of my computer screen, but it's interesting to see news headlines, games I'd been playing, emails, and so on. I recently came across a long-forgotten email archive I had squirreled away many years ago, some of them going back to the early 90's. There are one or two or them from Pinback. Archiving email is almost as good as having a journal because it shows exactly what you were up to and who you were communicating with at the time.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Here Aardvark, here is a picture of my friend Cat Dracula.

Also, belated happy birthday, man!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Arctic Snow Cat

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thank you for the birthday wishes!