Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 am You're really latching onto that one, ain't ya?
Well, it seems to be the only way to show you what you're saying is really stupid. I can't use proprietary software, first I don't know where to pirate it from, second I can't afford it, third the open source alternatives work satisfactorily, and fourth I don't have to put up with the strange menu and ribbon bar insanity of Microsoft.

I have Word Perfect X9 installed - I bought it on eBay from a software discounter and the key they sent me validates ok - but I am trying the open source alternatives to see if they fulfil my needs. If not, I'll go back to WPx9.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:05 pm third the open source alternatives work satisfactorily
I mean, you got a lot of posts that say otherwise, Commander.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:05 pm
pinback wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 am You're really latching onto that one, ain't ya?
Well, it seems to be the only way to show you what you're saying is really stupid. I can't use proprietary software, first I don't know where to pirate it from, second I can't afford it, third the open source alternatives work satisfactorily, and fourth I don't have to put up with the strange menu and ribbon bar insanity of Microsoft.

I have Word Perfect X9 installed - I bought it on eBay from a software discounter and the key they sent me validates ok - but I am trying the open source alternatives to see if they fulfil my needs. If not, I'll go back to WPx9.
You're right, I guess there are no alternatives to open-source Office software, or proprietary software. Lemme just jot that down.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

PINBACK ANYONE CAN EDIT TH Do your worst.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:33 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:05 pm I am trying the open source alternatives to see if they fulfil my needs. If not, I'll go back to WPx9.
You're right, I guess there are no alternatives to open-source Office software, or proprietary software. Lemme just jot that down.
Google Docs is still proprietary software, it just runs in a browser. That means it's not a desktop application. This then adds a new wrinkle; if you don't have Internet or it's down, you can't get to your document(s).

I'll admit I had not though of on-line word processors. I wonder if they have document conversion so you can upload existing documents? I'll have to try and find out.

I am not sure how well Google Docs works on large documents. I think I'll try uploading a few (making them read only to others, of course. Or, I could upload the entire 3 megabyte, 760 page Instrument of God to your publicly writable document and see if it takes it OK.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tsummary

Post by Tsummary »

Ha ha I wrote a book and you didn't!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:39 pm Google Docs is still proprietary software, it just runs in a browser. That means it's not a desktop application. This then adds a new wrinkle; if you don't have Internet or it's down, you can't get to your document(s).
LINK: Using Google Docs offline.
Tdarcos wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:39 pmI'll admit I had not though of on-line word processors. I wonder if they have document conversion so you can upload existing documents? I'll have to try and find out.
LINK: Importing Word documents into Google Docs.
Tdarcos wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:39 pmI am not sure how well Google Docs works on large documents. I think I'll try uploading a few (making them read only to others, of course. Or, I could upload the entire 3 megabyte, 760 page Instrument of God to your publicly writable document and see if it takes it OK.
"Google Drive lets users upload files up to 5TB in size, as long as they’re not converted to Google Docs, Slides and Sheets. There is a 50MB file size limit on presentations and documents uploaded to Drive and converted to Docs and Slides, and a 100MB limit on spreadsheets converted to Sheets."

LINK: (LINK)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Say what they want, Google Docs could not import a Word Perfect document of 3MB, nor accept a pasted document of that size. Maybe loading a text file would work (or RTF) but I might lose formatting.

UPDATE: The RTF of Instrument of God locked up Google Docs during upload.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:59 pm UPDATE: The RTF of Instrument of God locked up Google Docs during upload.
What have you people wrought??
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

I think that is the only decision by Google that we can all get behind.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Got two more for ya.

Microsoft's Linkedin: it said email was bouncing to my primary email address. Okay. I added another one. Want to make it primary. I have to verify it before I can do that.

I have it send a verification email.

I click on the link it gives me in the email.

It wants me to sign up as a new user when I do that. Or login. When I try to login with the new email address it tells me I can't. I need to verify it first. Kind of amazing.

The second one is about Outlook. I couldn't understand why I was being late to all my meetings. I'm going to post a screenshot, one sec.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This is what they do when your meeting starts at 1:00PM. There is an offset. Where the text is for 1PM, I would presume that's where 1PM meetings would start. Looking at this briefly, I would think, oh, this starts at like 1:30PM. But it doesn't. 1PM meetings start where the "1 PM" text ends..

This is what I mean when I say " a UI designed by aliens." I can't think that any human would see the implementation they picked and go with that. It's so bad, it's just so..... anti-anyone-using-this. At no point was this a problem for the hundreds of people that looked at it before they shipped it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

My Outlook does not look like that.

Ice Cream Jonsey

What the!! What would you even call that? "Snap to .... " something?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

"We are living on Teams."

GO FUCK YRSELF.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:26 am "We are living on Teams."

GO FUCK YRSELF.
Who said that? Where is that from?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 am
Jizaboz wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:26 am "We are living on Teams."

GO FUCK YRSELF.
Who said that? Where is that from?
The quote is from the new Microsoft Teams tv commercial lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Microsoft Solitaire now has fucking ads. Sol.com has always been included in windows since 3.0 and it's a stupid little file that exists to waste time. Just in the last week, the latest windows update seems to have added ads to fucking solitaire. Fuck you Microsoft, you have enough money from me over the years that I don't need to watch your stupid ads to play stupid solitaire. Now I have to find a new solitaire app.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Microsoft has also been demoing ads in Notepad and the Tiles in the Start Menu.

Anyway.. Enjoy!

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/window ... adet-game/
https://www.blog.mattlamont.com/pysol-o ... solitaire/
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ads in Notepad? The simplest little program that hasn't seen any development in 20 years? Fuck them.