Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Multi-factor (or, hell, two-factor) authentication in many forms is stupid, dangerous and pointless. I feel it was invented because the nerds that designed the various implementations "felt clever" for doing so and I feel that companies that adopt it do so because it makes them think they did something about security.

There is some guy on Twitter that constantly bitches to companies so that they'll consider adopting MFA. He says his dream company (or whatever) is Netflix. I can't imagine any sadder life than hoping that Netflix adopts MFA.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Remember this?

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2 ... eases.html
Due to adjusted work schedules at this time, we are pausing upcoming Chrome and Chrome OS releases. Our primary objectives are to ensure they continue to be stable, secure, and work reliably for anyone who depends on them. We’ll continue to prioritize any updates related to security, which will be included in Chrome 80. Please, follow this blog for updates.
Google Chrome
yeah. Chrome 81 came out today. Thanks for nothing assholes.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:57 am feel that companies that adopt it do so because it makes them think they did something about security.
That actually describes the cybersecurity mindset of 99% of companies. They're just checking off compliance boxes with no real thought about what actually would work.

joltcountry

Post by joltcountry »

This fucking thing:

So this is the web instance of Outlook. I am trying to make a meeting. And they put what number week it is to the left of dates, without a column header or anything else.

Just look at it. Just LOOK at it. I ... I mean, this is 40 years of absolute incompetence from Microsoft and Web Developers and webshit.

We couldn't not live in a world where that happened. It might be the most perfect demonstration of where we are in user experience on the web in 2020. It is lovely. It is amazing. So obvious that this program is not used by the people that make it. So obvious that it was designed by an alien that never had to do any real work. So achingly clear that if someone did see it, people were like Hahahaha ... Oh Well!

It is perfection.

pinback

Post by pinback »

It reminds me of Bob & Doug's 12 Days of Christmas. That left column looks like we found the MYSTERY DAYS!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

How difficult would it be for the Outlook developers to have the weeks in a different font color, such as red, so that the end user can quickly and easily identify the two different sets of numbers?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:05 pm How difficult would it be for the Outlook developers to have the weeks in a different font color, such as red, so that the end user can quickly and easily identify the two different sets of numbers?
Right.

Of course.

It.... yeah. That would be thing, right? That is what they could do.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I wanted to add a signature to my mail at work and we use Outlook.

Typed in "Signature" in Outlook's help, figured out where to go. Added it. Clicked the box that enabled attaching it to every email I send.

"Wow," I said, "something was finally easy with Microsoft's stuff."

I wrote a test mail to my gmail account and sent it.

Received it.

I swear to Christ, the signature was not there. You CANNOT MAKE THIS UP. NOTHING OF THEIRS EVER WORKS.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:03 pm we use Outlook.
Had to quit reading after that due to PTSD. Triggered.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:03 pm we use Outlook.
Had to quit reading after that due to PTSD. Triggered.
I hear you.

The signature did save the second time, for what that is worth.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Outlook should have its own thread.

If you are editing a regular meeting, you cannot add someone to the next meeting and all that follow. You HAVE ... to add them to all that have come before.

Yes, Microsoft figured out how to employ software engineers so stupid they don't understand the passage of time.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

OUTLOOK! If it decides to fuck off your meeting reminder window then NO FUTURE MEETING INVITE WILL EVER APPEAR ON YOUR CALENDAR NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU ACCEPT IT.

Restart Outlook, dick-face.

This is super useful when you expect the meeting invite accept to work as indicated and remind you to get yelled at by your boss, since it never tells you it didn't work.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Right. Outlook is so bad. I could also start these on LinkedIn, which is AMAZING in its uselessness.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This is the huge benefit of open-source software. It is free and no one has to use it. With purchased software, management forces it down your throat. I installed Word Perfect on my computer at work and used that (no Open Source alternatives to Microsoft Word existed then). While WP's license allows a licensed user to run it on any computer they have as long as only one copy is in use, to show it wasn't pirated, I kept the box with manual and disk at my desk.

Open Source Gives You Choices
I have both Open Office and Libre Office installed. Open Office works with High Contrast color settings out of the box while Libre Office requires you use a menu you might not be able to see to select a checkbox to enable High Contrast to work. And even at that, you can't see the menus in Libre Office unless the cursor is on that item. I'm not the only one to notice this, I posted a concurrence to a bug report originally made by someone else on Libre Office's site.

This is not the same as the Open Office bug I posted here some weeks ago.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I would like you to stop using all of these open source Office products. Thank you.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:14 pm I would like you to stop using all of these open source Office products. Thank you.
How about if I ask you to go back to drinking ans lying about it to your wife? No, because it feels bad and maqkes your life worse? Well congratulations, now maybe you understand why I use open source when it works and is available.

What i the most capable and finest software for editing audio? Hands down it's Audacity®, the free and open-source audio editing tool. Unlike other commercial programs for other things, instead of presenting you with a difficult to use and overly complicated menu and navigation system with a learning curve that isn't steep, but more like a brick wall, Audacity provides an intuitive interface and an easy to use tool to get the job done.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Audacity is fine, I just don't want you using open source Office-related products specifically.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:38 am Audacity is fine, I just don't want you using open source Office-related products specifically.
Being alive is fine, I just don't want you staying sober and telling the truth about your constant drinking to your wife.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You're really latching onto that one, ain't ya?

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's sort of the "gold standard" for how he feels people everywhere treat other people.