What insanity is Retro up to today?

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper

What insanity is Retro up to today?

Post by RetroRomper »

Hello folks,

In the spirit of being slightly less isolated, I'm going to (on hopefully at least a weekly basis) talk about whatever project I'm currently engaged in, though it'll be less a project management sheet and more just me ruminating on daily tasks and the art of not prioritizing them very well. To begin this venture in the BEST WAY POSSIBLE! - let's talk about why I've returned in the first place.
ICJ (due to understandable personal reasons during these, The End Times) declined (politely) to assist with a copy writing task for a non-profit I accidentally created.
Pulling on my latent (hahaha) insecurities around all things, I read into it as "you haven't been part of any of my communities for at least four years. Go duck yourself Retro "Low Priority" Romper." Thus here I am!

Getting back to the point of this thread, channel, server, guild, base, whatever, here is a short rundown of my current insanity:
NOTE: I refuse to list sub projects because I already do that in Trello. How much self harm do you fuckers expect from me?

1. Covid-19 Knowledge Base
2. Hit Save! A Video Game History and Preservation non-profit.
3. Associate Producer on the Mother to Earth documentary
-- The title means nothing, as I asked for an official "position" because I volunteered to email everyone and anyone about getting their film distributed through a streaming channel and needed to be something besides "Mr. Rando Who Is Taking On Another Project They Shouldn't."
4. IT Contracting gig
-- Yes, I've had an actual job for quite a while now, but I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to fuck it up and have to explain why I'm suddenly around Discord more often.

That's the main jizz of it!

Please join me as I ruminate, explore, philosophize and dedicate way too much time to providing my thoughts to an uncaring Universe devoid of warmth.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Re: What insanity is Retro up to today?

Post by RetroRomper »

To kinda prove the non-profit bit, let me post an unused draft of our logo.

Thinking about it, I could post our IRS paperwork.. That would require me to actually care about proving anything to you fine examples of humanity and rifle through a Google Drive folder hierarchy.

The painfully bright logo is all everyone gets.

Get over it!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ugh... Alright, let's try this again.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

GOD DAMN IT

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Great start everyone!

Great start!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Can we make that your forum avatar as well? It makes me so sad to see you with just the question mark.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm
ICJ (due to understandable personal reasons during these, The End Times) declined (politely) to assist with a copy writing task for a non-profit I accidentally created.
Pulling on my latent (hahaha) insecurities around all things, I read into it as "you haven't been part of any of my communities for at least four years. Go duck yourself Retro "Low Priority" Romper." Thus here I am!
I told you in my reply that I was in a bad spot right now. Multiple members of my family have died and I am pulled away during the day because those of us that remain have to figure out their estate. Those family members that remain aren't particularly taking the quarantine seriously. There's been trips to the emergency room, I manage 9 people at work and we already planned the most difficult stuff we could do at work before the global pandemic. Goddamn dude. I didn't want to get into all that, but for you to come out of it and tell everyone that your take was that I was telling you to go fuck yourself is pretty shitty.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I don't think even I shit the bed this hard on my return here? The man knows how to make an entrance, I'll give him that much.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:04 am I don't think even I shit the bed this hard on my return here? The man knows how to make an entrance, I'll give him that much.
I just want you to know. I'm not mad at you and I'm not mad at him. I should probably stay off the internet for a while when I am feeling overwhelmed with things instead of using this as a way to spew garbage out of my system.

I extend my hand in a warm, manly handshake to both you and Retro. (And Tdarcos, though I don't think I've thrown shit his way recently, but I can't even remember any more.)

pinback

Post by pinback »

Can’t we all just get along? Or have we forgotten the words of the Reverend King?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Also, multiple people have now told me that they like the design of the Hit Save banner. As Doctor King would have intended.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 am
Billy Mays wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:04 am I don't think even I shit the bed this hard on my return here? The man knows how to make an entrance, I'll give him that much.
I just want you to know. I'm not mad at you and I'm not mad at him. I should probably stay off the internet for a while when I am feeling overwhelmed with things instead of using this as a way to spew garbage out of my system.

I extend my hand in a warm, manly handshake to both you and Retro. (And Tdarcos, though I don't think I've thrown shit his way recently, but I can't even remember any more.)

I know, I'm not mad at you either. I actually thought we had a sincere moment of bonding the other night?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 am I should probably stay off the internet for a while when I am feeling overwhelmed with things instead of using this as a way to spew garbage out of my system.
Fuck that. Vent! Just don't get all whipped up over it. Many of the things you wrote made me laugh, you got some good jabs in and they gave me a chuckle going through them again. That's what this place is? Right? Thunderdome? I mean we're all sitting around in our pajamas waiting around as China destroys the world in the gayest way possible so we need something to do in the meantime.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RR I really do dig that HitSave logo bro. Keep it up.

Also, STFU Mays. Don't leave, don't ban yrself. Just STFU on this for now.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Right.

So let's see what happened today:

- Spoke to the Director of Communications about stresses that are slowly eating away at us, and about a few projects here and there:

1. Choosing a final theme for the website.
2. They cancelled System Shock 3! Okay, maybe we can do something to preserve it's assets? Probably not, but we'll give it a go.
3. I forgot to mention to him that I'm looking for anyone in marketing to donate one or two consultations, since we have absolutely no idea what we're doing. Will be posting an ad on one or two Facebook groups about it.
4. Hashed out the plan to follow up on our journalist projects and try to delegate work to someone who can devote more time to it on a ongoing basis than either of us.
5. Need to figure out CSS theming on our subreddit as well as scripting a bot to post RSS feeds to it (almost) automatically. Will need to ask around as I don't have the skills to do either.
6. State of the overall art assets - the wordmark is in a decent place, the artist is paid for regarding hashing out a mascot, and I spoke to her about creating detailed, small but necessary, assets for the website.
7. Who deserves to be drop kicked at a grocery store more - people not wearing masks or those not giving my personal bubble the required ten feet?

So far I've followed up with (FINALLY!) choosing a bunch of Hugo themes for him to look at. Hugo was designed as a "blog first" platform, so it's kind of strange we are using it when I'm dead set against having a dedicated blog, but we'll figure out how to highlight quarterly / end of year news.

And I've finally researched and have read enough information to feel confident in sending out a list of Knowledge Base requirements my Physician Assistant friend I'm sort of working with, can bring to her friend who appears to be an actual Executive at Sales Force these days: the hope is he will be on board to give us a free Ultimate license and perhaps a little engineering support to build out the Knowledge module ASAP.

Here's hoping!

Mr. Romper

PS Eat shit and die, Billy.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RetroRomper wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:57 amSpoke to the Director of Communications about stresses that are slowly eating away at us,
Do they all revolve around your goofy head monologues?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I don't get it.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

Who canceled System Shock 3? Guys you're working on Hit Save with?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

God. Satan would have, but he also has much better taste and couldn't fathom imbuing that much irony into one particular action.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Managed to torpedo my non-profit, pissed friends and allies, and made it impossible for me to return.

All in a good days work.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM