The Quake II: Jailbreak EXPERIMENT

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: The Quake II: Jailbreak EXPERIMENT

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am using the "q2pro" client, which supports larger resolutions. But it, and I am not making this up, does not support the setting for INVERT MOUSE. There is a console command do it, which is m_pitch -0.022 but still.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Cool! Gonna try this later this morning!

Ice Cream Jonsey

And I'll try to setup some guide to all this. Are you worried at all about increasing your screen resolution for the game, Vark? If so I can write instructions on getting and using that q2pro client.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Jailbreak looks like fun! I was on Jiz's server for a while, running around and finding all the cool hiding places and locations of the big guns. I discovered that part of the not saving of my settings is due to Win7 making every damn folder read-only. I changed it, and Windows says I changed it, except not really. There's a work-around that I remember having to implement to take control of these things but as long as I never log off I'm OK.

THE
ALWAYS ON
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Re: screen resolution.
I put in my music recording PC which is more than hefty enough to run the game with maxed out graphics and speed. I tried it at 1920 X something-something and it ran just fine, a little too small for my eyes though. 1280 X 1024 is fine. Plus it seems better in a window, full screen hid all the display stuff on the bottom.

Will there be vox audio? Can we use microphones to trash talk each other? I figured out how to bind keys to display horrible messages but I was wondering if there's a live talk feature.

THE
TALK RADIO
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

A friend came over today who is still passed out on my floor.. otherwise I would have replied earlier! I’ll be around all day tomorrow though.

I had not thought of a voice chat thing! I’m open to ideas. You hit t key to chat but it looks like with jailbreak your chat is only shared with your team.

Glad to see everything working!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, we can sync up on Pinback's Discord, I think, and do voice chat that way.

I get that Pinback does not wish to play Jailbreak. That is fine. Lemme see if I can get a channel on his Discord.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:14 am Er too late for edit..

The address to the jailbreak server is:

jail.jizaboz.com

Quake2 will automatically resolve this to port 27910.
So I think ultimately the plan is - I would get your image and then sign up for AWS and then handle the financials. Does that make sense to you, Jiz? I am happy to pay some amount of money each month to keep this game alive.

If that IS the case, does it cost you anything to keep that jail.jizaboz.com direct to the AWS instance I end up getting going?

(And can anyone take me to the right spot to get the AWS login and credit card stuff going?)

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, there's only three of us and I think the game would suck if we had three people playing. I think six is the minimum and anything above that is fun as hell x 2.

I have started the process to try to find people.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I have created both a text and voice channel on my Discord, under the "Jolt Country" category. You can join here: https://discord.gg/cTcxfQv

I have also purchased the game. So I'm in. Let me know if anyone interested would OBJECT to me streaming the game live on Twitch when we play. I'll make ya famous!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Also I haven't read any of the rest of this, so can someone dumb it down for me and just tell me what to do to get this thing going?

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:24 am I have created both a text and voice channel on my Discord, under the "Jolt Country" category. You can join here: https://discord.gg/cTcxfQv

I have also purchased the game. So I'm in. Let me know if anyone interested would OBJECT to me streaming the game live on Twitch when we play. I'll make ya famous!
When do you usually stream?

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:24 am Also I haven't read any of the rest of this, so can someone dumb it down for me and just tell me what to do to get this thing going?
I believe that all you gotta do is this:

1. Get Quake II. Let's say you don't care about resolutions other than what is on Steam. In that case, the Steam version is fine.
2. I think that if you connect to jail.jizaboz.com it will download everything you need automatically. But if not, just download this file: https://www.caltrops.com/downloads/jailbreak/jb25cl.zip and in your Quake 2 directory, create a directory called jail. Unzip that zip file and put the files in the Quake 2/jail directory
3. Try joining jail.jizaboz.com in Multiplayer Game mode. I think that is it!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:50 pm
pinback wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:24 am I have created both a text and voice channel on my Discord, under the "Jolt Country" category. You can join here: https://discord.gg/cTcxfQv

When do you usually stream?
Lately, it has generally been weeknights from around 8:30 PM Eastern to around 10:30 PM Eastern. Not every weeknight, but as often as I can manage.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok, I will try to be home by then just in case. No pressure, I know how things can change from the time work stops to the time where you think you might get two seconds to yourself.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I agree with everything ICJ said on setup for you Pinback.. except you may want to download that Q2Pro client as well. Better video card support and less crashes. You just throw the q2pro.exe in the root Quake 2 folder and yr good to use it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hm one nag I have with the Jailbreak mod is that it wants to take the "S" key binding and use it for "sound menu". The damn British that made this must have used arrow keys to move rather than WASD. Easy enough to set the binding for "backpedal" to S.. but that disables the sound menu. Not a biggie. There is text team chat in-game anyway plus Pinback's Discord.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

That does suck. That said, do we want to try this tomorrow? Jiz? Pinback? Aardvark? And then we'll spam the link on Discord and Caltrops and whatever else to see if more people wanna join.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Sure, what time?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:27 pm That does suck. That said, do we want to try this tomorrow? Jiz? Pinback? Aardvark? And then we'll spam the link on Discord and Caltrops and whatever else to see if more people wanna join.
Sure! If we could try to arrange a time I can bring at least 1 other person myself
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻