Picard

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Picard

Post by pinback »

I am through episode two now. The first episode, I thought was pretty good, because it had a lot of Picard in it, and Picard is great. The story didn't make any sense, and everything else was kind of annoying, but it was relatively well-done, and did I mention Picard.

The second episode sucked, because it had less Picard, and more story, and the story oscillates between incomprehensible and terrible, with a lot of overlap. The acting is (other than Picard) shockingly amateurish, and even at episode two, it's obvious there is zero chance Picard won't at some point have to choose whether to be Locutus again.

But more than being a bad episode, episode two turned me against the series in a way I never expected, and here's why:

Star Trek was always about an idealistic vision of what humanity could become if they gained some wisdom and came together to accomplish great things in cooperation and peace. Cheesy, no doubt, but it was one of the most hopeful shows to come along. I think there's still room for that, even in today's hypercritical, hypercynical society.

But somehow in the 20 years since Picard stepped off the Enterprise, all of that history has been reversed, and somehow everyone is back to being an asshole again. Starfleet is an evil bunch of scheming, heartless douchebags. Everyone is out for themselves. And the one thing that bothered me the most, which I was shocked that it bothered me so much, everyone's throwing F-bombs around again.

You could replace all the Star Trek stuff with mafia stuff, and it'd be an HBO crime drama. And not a particularly good one.

This is why The Orville is the best of all of the new Star Trek shows, even though it's not a Star Trek show. Everyone's basically decent. Humanity has come together in hope and wonderment to create a bright future. It's what Star Trek always was, and in my wistful, perhaps naive opinion, what it always should be.

To sum up: You shouldn't say "fuck" on Star Trek.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Re: Picard

Post by AArdvark »

I could never imagine Chekov or Sulu saying "Fuck, I missed the Klingon ship with the photon torpedoes." Just can't imagine them ever saying that. So I'm never going to watch that show.

THE
TRANSPORTER MALFUNCTION
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

If I remember right, Pinner, you were against the RedLetterMedia guys on Youtube. But their take had them feeling much the same as you did.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I was wrong to pre-judge them, and if they agree with me, then I like them now.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I posted the pilot link on YouTube to Caltrops and I had some comments about it. Ben, since you saw Episode 2 I presume you have CBS All Access, so I'm wondering, how much is i, and what do you get for the subscription. I suspect it's overpriced, but I'll wait to hear what you think.

Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:28 pm I was wrong to pre-judge them, and if they agree with me, then I like them now.
They are these guys.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:15 pm I posted the pilot link on YouTube to Caltrops and I had some comments about it. Ben, since you saw Episode 2 I presume you have CBS All Access, so I'm wondering, how much is i, and what do you get for the subscription. I suspect it's overpriced, but I'll wait to hear what you think.

Did it work when you posted it over there? Because it's not working here.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I don't like it even though I didn't even watch it. The trailer was enough to make me lose interest: the actors look like average nobodies picked off the street.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:43 pm I don't like it even though I didn't even watch it. The trailer was enough to make me lose interest: the actors look like average nobodies picked off the street.
Actually, having nobodies picked off would make an interesting film, as 1972's The Mechanic showed.

Come to think of it, your comment summarizes about what 3/4 of the episode was about, noboies being picked off, although first in an apartment, then later on the street, with one of the nobodies getting all blown up about it.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:40 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:15 pm I posted the pilot link on YouTube to Caltrops
Did it work when you posted it over there? Because it's not working here.
"Yes," and "Well, it works when I do it," Let me try the media tag again:

Even without the [media] tag, it shows up as an inline video, both in my message and your quote of my message. I guess it now works that way instead of mandating the [media] tag that I stopped using as when I tried to use it, the BBS would tell me I lack sufficient privileges to use the [media] tag.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Sorry, the stupid bastards at YouTube leave a reference to a private video as a regular video link (red box with white play button) instead of the disabled link (gray/white box). Sorry about that, I guess either Paramount wasn't intending to allow it to be shown, or, more likely, they offered it as a limited-time special before privatising it.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:15 pm I presume you have CBS All Access, so I'm wondering, how much is i, and what do you get for the subscription.
I think it's $5 a month, but I'm not sure, it's more my wife's thing. As for the specific price, and what you get for that price, I'm sure it's all laid out in the manual.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:22 pm The story didn't make any sense... The second episode sucked... The acting is (other than Picard) shockingly amateurish... a bad episode... somehow everyone is back to being an asshole again.
So, would you say they've shit all over the show, or turd it into a shitshow?
pinback wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:22 pm And the one thing that bothered me the most, which I was shocked that it bothered me so much, everyone's throwing F-bombs around again.
Again? I didn't think they were ever present before. All of the other Star Trek episodes have been for broadcast TV, for which that word is forbidden from 6am to 11pm.
pinback wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:22 pm To sum up: You shouldn't say "fuck" on Star Trek.
So I guess you're saying they really fucked it up.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:19 am
pinback wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:22 pm And the one thing that bothered me the most, which I was shocked that it bothered me so much, everyone's throwing F-bombs around again.
Again? I didn't think they were ever present before. All of the other Star Trek episodes have been for broadcast TV, for which that word is forbidden from 6am to 11pm.
I meant humans, Paul.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am only on the second one.

I thought the Romulan woman did as fine a job as she could do given the dumb as fuck lines she was being asked to recite. The Romulans Y'SEE have a device that can basically play reality backwards from a point in time.

You know what's easy? The fantasy genre. D&D. You want to restore a character's hit points? You cast a spell. You want to have ten scorpions materialize? You cast a spell. You want to be able to peer into the past? Spell. I've been working on a total of 56 spell-equivalents for the non-fantasy game I have been working on and since it's sci-fi it has to make some kind of sense.

Whatever the fuck she was talking about made no sense.

Then there's the Vulcan or maybe Romulan Asian gal that is into some plot to do whatever. Oh, and the gal that Picard talked to, to get a ship. We ........ are living in a post-material existence in Star Trek. Old guy wants a ship? Replicate him a ship! He wants a crew? Come on, tell me there aren't 5 guys in the same situation as Paris was for Voyager where the Federation doesn't care if he or she lives or dies. There's been 5 dispensable employees at every company I've ever been except this one and we aren't space pilots.

Oh, then there was the gal that is a secret spy.

Oh, and wait, acty, acty, rewind the post, rewind the post 2 minutes. Okay. They really have to tell us if someone is a Vulcan or a Romulan because they look the same in Star Trek and when they don't tell us, it means they have created suspense for a stupid reason and it hangs in the air. Sure, we can presume that the Asian gal is a Vulcan since she is in Star Trek, but it's not interesting to make us wonder. They look the goddamn same.

I don't know. Picard is gonna find these people we never met before for his secret crew and the hand waving of why he can't get the old crew back together is dumb. Ben and the RedLetterMedia guys are right about it. I think I'll still watch it, because Jesus, it's Picard, but it's pretty messed up.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Hey, wow, looks like Jonsey fixed video inlining for us lower class JC denizens.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 pm Hey, wow, looks like Jonsey fixed video inlining for us lower class JC denizens.
I left the trash as-is but put all the regulars at this point in time in a higher group so that sort of thing worked.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:28 am
Tdarcos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:19 am
I meant humans, Paul.
You have completely lost me; I have no idea what you mean. When someone says "throwing around f-bombs" it means one thing and one thing only: the human actors are - possibly gratuitously - using the word "fuck" n a production. I have no idea how "I meant humans" has anything at all to do with either your original message or my comment. It seems to be a non sequitur. I didn't think the "f-bombd" comment meant the species of characters saying it was non-human. If that's not what you're referring to, then you need to explain, "real simple-like, in plain-ol' Galveston English."

Ice Cream Jonsey

In the third episode, Picard got his crew together. An episode which will never be the same if you have ever watched the Rick and Morty episode about getting the crew together.

The one gal, you see, resisted the call to adventure and HATES PICARD .......... because of something Starfleet did. Picard quit for her (and I guess the Romulans) and because she was okay living in a van down by the river, that didn't mean anything to her. And she is ANGRY. But she could only resist the call to adventure for so long because that's what the writers read in a book about this trope.