the new mini PC

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

the new mini PC

Post by AArdvark »

Based on Flack's idea of using a Raspberry Pi as a main PC ( this was some years ago) and seeing as the PS3 mod is cool but slow and small hard drive space-wise, I decided to upgrade over the holiday. Funny, cause it used to be a two year cycle that I'd upgrade the graphics, the case, or just the whole thing. Used to be bigger is better, but now everything is downsized, square footage on the desk and quiet are the goals.
Back in the day I had this nice big tower with three or four drives in it and a plethora of fans to keep it cool. it sounded loud and took up too much space. Then it got to be smaller is gooder. I did the PS3 case mod and that was nice but..... Now it's time for.....

AArdvark

Re: the new mini PC

Post by AArdvark »

Comes with a bracket to mount on the back of the monitor.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Also comes with Windows 10 pre-installed. Guess what's going to happen to that!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is one reason why I'm putting Linux on there, they want me to put Microsoft in my will

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Ahhhahahah

Vark's not on Twitter, but that is something that needs to be tweeted. "Leave everything to us." Holy shit they really have no idea what their idiotic installation display messages will look like out of context.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I found it rather sinister. They are obviously out of touch with their public image.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Linux Mint doesnt have sound working. I found a few things to try, workarounds. A lot of sudo alt get stuff. It ended up breaking my os. I'm struggling with this stuff and would rather it not fight me, but it is. More details in a bit

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Perhaps try "lubuntu"? (Ubuntu Light)

That's what I ended up putting on an ancient Toshiba with a crappy AMD dual core CPU and it works well!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm Linux Mint doesnt have sound working. I found a few things to try, workarounds. A lot of sudo alt get stuff. It ended up breaking my os. I'm struggling with this stuff and would rather it not fight me, but it is. More details in a bit
I really wanted to run Mint but gave up. I've had regular old boring Ubuntu on for about six months now and through multiple Steam upgrades it has been fine.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I got it. It was just a matter of messing around with the different versions of mint. I put in the less hardware intensive version and everything works fine. I kind of like messing around with Lubuntu and Mate to see what works better for me. That's half the fun of getting a new PC.

THE
LUG WRENCH
DUAL WIELDING
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

I have an old Acer netbook I bought in (looking up old blog post) 2009. It's 32 bit only and pretty underpowered. I installed Lubuntu on it and other than obvious speed issues (due to hardware, not the OS), it runs pretty good.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I toyed around with puppy linux on my old old laptop and it ran ok. It was just a little too stripped down to be really useful. Pretty cool the whole os can run entirely in ram