Let's follow hockey in 2019/2020

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Let's follow hockey in 2019/2020

Post by pinback »

YOURrrrrr Colorado Avalanche are the only undefeated team in the league right now.

I guarantee that by the end of the season, they will be struggling to back their way into the 8th playoff spot. This always, always happens. Really hot start ("Best start in team history!" - every year), then around the new year, go about two months without winning a game, and then start trying to eke their way in, which they usually don't.

This is my 500,000-STAR LOCK.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Re: Let's follow hockey in 2019/2020

Post by RealNC »

What you just said has the same effect on me as Star Trek characters talking about the neutrino transducer calibration being in phase with the tachyon impulse flux inversion modulation offset frequency amplitude wave discriminator. It sounds interesting, but I have no idea what any of it means.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

They start the season not sucking, then they suck really bad, then they try really really hard to un-suck and miss a playoff spot by four or five games, and call it business as usual.

THE
ROCHESTER
AMERICANS
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Purrrrty much.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I’ve got 10$ on either Hurricanes or Maple Leafs like every year haha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Not that I ever win that bet of course..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I was trying not to get too excited, because the Sabres did win 10 in a row last year and they let all their progress slip and didn't make the playoffs. I have no memory of a team winning 10 in a row and failing to make the playoffs.

Some things also have to fall into place for a fucking awful team to get good in sports - you have to rip someone off (that LeClair, Dionne and Desjardins trade for Mark Recchi back in like 1996 that the Flyers executed against Montreal propelled them into becoming a playoff team). Or you have to unearth a player out of nowhere, and I think that the Sabres might have done that with Victor Olofsson, who was a 7th(!) round pick that is now on the first line of our team playing left wing with Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart.

I love the ideas of teams finding a skill or two that a player has and taking advantage of that skill. And not worrying about what they cannot do. Olofsson has a wicked shot - so our coach has put him on the power play where he plays at the same time with the best offensive players on the Sabres, and Olofsson has responded with six power play goals. He's leading the league!

That makes me so happy because that is something a smart organization would do. I have not had the opportunity to be a fan of many smart organizations. (The general management of the Blue Jays, for instance, is probably one of the dumbest in the league.)

I am posting this not because I think anyone will watch 8 minutes of hockey videos, but because it is amazing to me how nice the NHL looks in HD.

the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:05 am I was trying not to get too excited, because the Sabres did win 10 in a row last year and they let all their progress slip and didn't make the playoffs. I have no memory of a team winning 10 in a row and failing to make the playoffs.
It's pretty rare. From The Buffalo News, December 1, 2018: "The only team in history to run off 10 in a row and not make the postseason was the 2016-17 Philadelphia Flyers, who only finished the season with 88 points in a year where three Metropolitan Division teams were at 108 or more." Inside the NHL: A long winning streak doesn't guarantee a big finish to a season
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Can we count on you to be on the Buffalo Sabres' side for the 2019/2020 season, Commander??!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'd like to think Paul is all about dem Colorado Avalanches!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Nah, Sabres!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:46 pm Can we count on you to be on the Buffalo Sabres' side for the 2019/2020 season, Commander??!
pinback wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:14 pm I'd like to think Paul is all about dem Colorado Avalanches!
I have a question. How much of a bribe do i get for supporting a team?

After all, I have important things to pay for, like my addiction to Starburst and Ritz Cheddar Cheese cracker sandwiches. As the Material Girl put it, "They can beg and they can plead / But they can't see the light (that's right) / 'Cause the boy with the cold hard cash / Is always Mister Right."

- - - -
"I wasn't shocked that I could be bribed; almost anyone below the income of Carlos Slim, Warren Buffet or Bill Gates can be bribed. What really saddened and shocked me was how cheaply I could be bribed."
- Paul Robinson, February 17, 2014

"If your asking price doesn't sicken you by making you realize you're being a greedy pig, your price is too low."
- Real Estate Investor Carleton Sheets

"How much is 'enough'? Heh, heh, 'just a little more.'"
- Wilvert Kissell in David Westheimer's Going Public
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Why must we bribe you? Couldn't you just be an athletic supporter?

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:59 amWhy must we bribe you? Couldn't you just be an athletic supporter?
Wait, you want Paul to be this?

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:05 am I am posting this not because I think anyone will watch 8 minutes of hockey videos, but because it is amazing to me how nice the NHL looks in HD.
I always got time for 9 minutes of highlights and that looked just great.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:59 am Why must we bribe you? Couldn't you just be an athletic supporter?
Aw come on, 'Vark, you can do better than that! Besides, they already did that joke as a throw-away line in 1979's Grease:
Principal over PA system: If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Casual Observer's posting of a jock strap was perfect as when you used the above line I was thinking of the tern and the line from Grease.

Hey, it just occurred to me, if this was used in grease from 1979, it must be pretty rancid by now. [SFX: Rimshot] (You may now groan over that pun.)

Jonsey, this bbs warns me I am forbidden to use the [🄼🄴🄳🄸🄰] tag to inline videos.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Re: one liner from Grease.

Dur, its where I got it....Except I thought it was Porky's

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, after opening 4-0 at home, the Avalanche embarked on a 6-game road trip, ending at 4-1-1. The OTL was disappointing, and the first regulation loss was not good, but 4-1-1 is excellent, and in the last game of the road trip tonight in Vegas, they made the Golden Knights look like a girls team, ran "future Hall of Famer" Theo Fleury halfway through the second, and just generally kicked their big, fat, smelly ass.

This is by far the best Avs team I've seen since I've been watching. I would not be SHOCKED to see them regress like they always do, but for the first time since I've been a fan, I would be surprised.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:06 pm Well, after opening 4-0 at home, the Avalanche embarked on a 6-game road trip, ending at 4-1-1. The OTL was disappointing, and the first regulation loss was not good, but 4-1-1 is excellent, and in the last game of the road trip tonight in Vegas, they made the Golden Knights look like a girls team, ran "future Hall of Famer" Theo Fleury halfway through the second, and just generally kicked their big, fat, smelly ass.
I think you might have been making a joke, I dunno. I don't want to go AXXXTHUALLY ITS MARC ANDRE.

I do think Theo Fleury should be in the hall of fame. Everything Paul Kariya did, Theo Fleury did after having gotten molested.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Not a joke, I dunno where that came from. Yes, Marc "Andre" Fleury. But with all the new players on the Avs, I barely know their names either.