Japanese Arcade Games in USA

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Japanese Arcade Games in USA

Post by Jizaboz »

Is this a thing in your area? About 3 years ago the Lost Ark which Flack visited in my area sold all of their pinball machines and a lot of their video games and moved to a new location.

This new location is even smaller but features a nice selection of Japanese style arcade now. Lots of “Candy Cabs” (As a Neo Geo owner these do not interest me much) but these other rhythm based game machines such as Beat Stream 2 and eventually the wonder washing machine of a game: Maimai.

Last year this hipster scene exploded a bit in the same city. A HUGE arcade/bowling alley opened in the mall after a department store went out of business. They not only feature many video games you would usually only see in Japan, but also like 20+ Sega UFO 7 and other modern “crane games”. Even photo booth machines!

I can’t wait to go back tomorrow and was wondering.. is this sort of thing becoming a new arcade norm to you guys where you live? I’ve yet to go to a Dave N Busters yet because it sounds like a lamer version of “Mac Daddy’s” at the coast near me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Japanese Arcade Games in USA

Post by Casual Observer »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:55 pmI’ve yet to go to a Dave N Busters yet because it sounds like a lamer version of “Mac Daddy’s” at the coast near me.
Dave and buster's was pretty cool when I last went there in 2000. An adult arcade, with (mediocre food) and drinks as expensive as anywhere else. It's fun to get buzzed while playing arcade games, like a chuckecheese where kidless adults don't have to feel weird. Now bowling alleys are adding stuff like laser tag and arcades so yeah, it seems like a trend. Personally I prefer to drink at home while playing xbox, it's much cheaper.

Flack

Post by Flack »

We went by Arcade UFO in Austin last time we were there and it sounds like the same type of place. Unfortunately for us UFO was closed, but we had just spent about four hours in Pinballz, which is probably the second largest arcade I've ever been in (behind Funspot).

We have a Dave and Busters 10 minutes from us and I've been twice. The last time I went I couldn't find a single machine that had a joystick, although now I think they have that 4-player Pac-Man so that would be one.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:28 am We went by Arcade UFO in Austin last time we were there and it sounds like the same type of place. Unfortunately for us UFO was closed, but we had just spent about four hours in Pinballz, which is probably the second largest arcade I've ever been in (behind Funspot).

We have a Dave and Busters 10 minutes from us and I've been twice. The last time I went I couldn't find a single machine that had a joystick, although now I think they have that 4-player Pac-Man so that would be one.
Looks like that UFO arcade is mainly candy cabs which are cool but I rarely play them. They do have a “JuBeat” though I see. That’s a unique and fun game. Wonder what kind of prizes they keep in their Sega catcher..

The thing about the lack of joystick games in a lot of arcades like Dave N Busters bothers me. I don’t even insist on having most games being joystick games. One or no machines however is unacceptable.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Dave and buster's was pretty cool when I last went there in 2000. An adult arcade, with (mediocre food) and drinks as expensive as anywhere else. It's fun to get buzzed while playing arcade games, like a chuckecheese where kidless adults don't have to feel weird. Now bowling alleys are adding stuff like laser tag and arcades so yeah, it seems like a trend. Personally I prefer to drink at home while playing xbox, it's much cheaper.
Yeah you can blow a lot of money in a place like this if you don’t watch yourself! However, I like the activity of getting out and while I have arcade machines in my own house, it’s doubtful I’d ever be able to own one of those huge machines like Maimai or Wakka.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Welp, blew around 16$ and didn’t win anything out of a UFO machine but I learned a few things from trying and seeing this other dude walking around with at least 3 plush toys I tried to win.

I got some good scores in on Wakka and other rhythm game I played made by Capcom that played like Beat Stream.

A big highlight of the day was finding a game I didn’t see the last time. This is a game for stressed out dads who are overworked. While I can’t identify with the first part, I can with the latter. I’d heard of this game years ago and always wanted to play it. A table-flip game!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I should maybe note this doesn’t show the full gameplay of the irritating kids at the table or the wife bringing a 2nd dish. I slammed the table and flipped it after the family really got on my fucking nerves and then laughed like a maniac. Very satisfying!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Seriously ? That would be an awesome Funniest Home Video

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

誰かが日本語を話したり読んだりすることが望ましいのはなぜですか? 英語はずっと簡単です。
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 am 誰かが日本語を話したり読んだりすることが望ましいのはなぜですか? 英語はずっと簡単です。
Right, but could there be some sort of "gold standard" for IBM PC games in the 80s? If only such a thing existed.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 am 誰かが日本語を話したり読んだりすることが望ましいのはなぜですか? 英語はずっと簡単です。
知りません w w
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 pm Seriously ? That would be an awesome Funniest Home Video
I agree! Although I think I killed my wife in the process (and set her on fire) and I don't think that would get past the censors.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Sometimes you gotta break a few tamagoyakis.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 pm
Right, but could there be some sort of "gold standard" for IBM PC games in the 80s? If only such a thing existed.
Jonsey, I'm disappointed in you. You never even read what I wrote, which a quick trip to Google or Bing translate would have told you the same thing. I said, "Why is it desirable for someone to speak or read Japanese? English is much easier." (Originally I wrote the first 7 words as "Why would anyone want to".) At least Jizaboz came back (in Japanese) with "I don't know w w."

What I would have expected from you, instead of a complete non sequitur would have been a reply like, (Bing): なぜなら、日本語は日本で使われている言語だからです。Translated back as (Bing): Because Japanese is a language used in Japan. (Google): Because Japanese is the language used in Japan.

Or the reply from Google: 日本語は顧客やプログラマーが日本で使用しているクソ言語だからです。Translated back as (Bing): Japanese is a language used by customers and programmers in Japan. (Google): Japanese is a fucking language used by customers and programmers in Japan.

The original being "Because Japanese is the fucking language used in Japan by the customers and programmers."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pmYou never even read what I wrote
I mean, the writing's right there.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The true “gold standard” was obviously the SSI series of games. I still haven’t finished Buck Rogers.

FFS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 pm
Jonsey, I'm disappointed in you. You never even read what I wrote, which a quick trip to Google or Bing translate would have told you the same thing. I said, "Why is it desirable for someone to speak or read Japanese? English is much easier." (Originally I wrote the first 7 words as "Why would anyone want to".) At least Jizaboz came back (in Japanese) with "I don't know w w."

What I would have expected from you, instead of a complete non sequitur would have been a reply like, (Bing): なぜなら、日本語は日本で使われている言語だからです。Translated back as (Bing): Because Japanese is a language used in Japan. (Google): Because Japanese is the language used in Japan.

If one knew anything about speaking Japanese on the Internet, you should know that you can’t just flush sentences thru google and get the correct results every time.

Also, “W W” means smiling or chuckling. There is no haha or lol in Japanese texting by tradition. “haha” is mother.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pm What I would have expected from you ... Because Japanese is the language used in Japan.

If one knew anything about speaking Japanese on the Internet,
Cue Sgt. Schultz's voice from Hogan's Heroes: I know nothing! Nothing!
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 pm you should know that you can’t just flush sentences thru google and get the correct results every time.
This is why when I post anything in a foreign language that I don't know¹, I do "reverse translate," where I have it translate the particular language back into English. If I get an identical output or very close, I'll presume it's close enough for demonstration purposes. Especially if I cross-check a Google translation on Bing or vice-versa.

After all, I don't presume any of you are fluent speakers / readers / writers of any foreign language and thus you would also depend on automated translation to understand me. When it's being done here, presumably it's for demonstration and example, not for serious or critical conversation needs.

If that was the case, I'd have to include at the beginning, "Please be aware that I am not a fluent writer of Japanese and must use a computer to translate. Please forgive me for any errors and I sincerely apologize for them being present." (The Japanese are very big on apologies and statements of regret.)

Google translates that warning as: 私は日本語の流な作家ではなく、コンピューターを使って翻訳しなければならないことに注意してください。 エラーについてはご容赦ください。エラーが存在することを心よりおizeび申し上げます。Which translates back as, Google: Please note that I am not a Japanese-style writer, I have to translate it using a computer. Please forgive me for errors. I sincerely appreciate that there is an error. Bing: Note that I am not a Japanese writer, but I have to translate using a computer. Please forgive me for any errors. I would like to say that there is an error.

Bing translates my warning as: 私は日本語の流暢な作家ではなく、翻訳するためにコンピュータを使用する必要があることに注意してください。間違いを許してください、私は彼らが出席したことを心からお詫び申し上げます。Which translates back as, Google: Please note that I am not a fluent Japanese writer and need to use a computer to translate. Forgive me the mistake, I apologize for their attendance. Bing: Note that I am not a fluent Japanese writer and need to use a computer to translate. Forgive me for making mistakes, I sincerely apologize for their attendance.

Since I can read the translations are radically different and might cause misunderstanding² I'd go back and rephrase until the round-trip comes back identical or close.
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 pm Also, “W W” means smiling or chuckling. There is no haha or lol in Japanese texting by tradition. “haha” is mother.
Why can't they learn to use :) or :O like everyone else? (This is a rhetorical question.)

----
¹ The only language I'm fluent in is American. Oh, and Fortran, but that's often classified as a dead language, like Latin.
² Cue Phil Collins: Oh there must be some misunderstanding / There mustt be some kind of mistake.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

What was the topic of this thread again?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The only Jap games I've ever seen were in a MAME romset. Some of them were pretty racy and some were pretty dumb. I'll never understand why they made some of them. Who wants to play mah-jong on a bar top machine?