[COASTER] Hyperactive

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

pinback

Re: [COASTER] Hyperactive

Post by pinback »

Wait, were you talking about the new gondola thing at Disney? When I hear Skyliner, I think this:

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That be the one!

[youtube][/youtube]

pinback

Post by pinback »

Huh, look at that. I didn't realize or had forgotten that Skyliner was moved from its original location.

Click here and search for "Skyliner" for my original thoughts on the coaster!

pinback

Post by pinback »

pinback wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:39 am Either that story is fake, or the old bag was being sarcastic.
I guess I have to take this back. I looked back at my original review of Raptor (http://pinback.net/moltobenny/pwc2/bigtrip.html) and my main complaint was that it wasn't wild and scary enough.

That old bag knew what was up, I tells ya.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

pinback

Post by pinback »

There are things called "trim brakes" sprinkled around your favorite coaster tracks. The purpose is to slow you down as you traverse the course of the track, to keep the G-forces within reasonable limits, but mostly to reduce wear and tear on the track/train.

This particular coaster was run with all the trims off, because it draws customers when you can advertise your park as having the wildest ride in town. Which no doubt this was. Schwarzkopf coasters are legendary. Dude invented the steel looping coaster, the first of which is still in operation today, and was my first time upside-down on a roller coaster.

But on this particular Schwarzkopf, maintenance was sketchy, and with the trims off it was running way faster than it was designed for, so as a result, people died. (Gore warning).

Another Schwarzkopf experienced an almost identical problem in Canada in 1986, resulting in virtually the same number of deaths.

The moral is, get those trim brakes on, if you're running a Schwarzkopf.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:27 pmThe moral is, get those trim brakes on, if you're running a Schwarzkopf.
I don't know about that, my understanding was, when Gen. Schwarzkopf was running the Gulf War, they put no brakes on his operation. They didn't call him "Stormin' Norman" for nithing.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »