Analysis of a dream.

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Analysis of a dream.

Post by Tdarcos »

A short while ago this morning I had a dream. I decided to record it while it was still fresh in my mind. Some of this is stream of consiousness, as I tried to record as many details as I could before the memory faded. I've cleaned it up some, but anyway, here goes.

At the beginning I might have been in or at a house and decided to go out. I do remember next I was I was driving my car, which might have been a station wagon. Dream was in color. What's interesting here is I don't remember wearing a seat belt when driving (but see below). Please note that I always, without exception (unless impossible, add below), wear my seat belt when driving.

It was a conscious choice I made when I first started driving (back in 1977) which, at that time, using seat belts was not required. When they started mandating the wearing of seat belts it had no affect on me as the only time I ever drove a car without wearing a seat belt was if it would not fit, and you can be damn sure as soon as I could, I'd drive to a dealer to get a (free) seat belt extender.

Apparently I was not fat during the dream, as witness some events that occurred. I drove into the parking lot of a motel. I'm in the driver's seat. Decided to lie back in the car for a moment instead of getting a room. I do remember my thought was I wanted to rest for a moment, not sleep. (Interesting what sort of "Inception-like" incident I'd have had if I did fall asleep.)

I hit the button to lock the car doors. I remember hearing the lock "clunk" That doesn't matter, some guy opens the back door behind me anyway. Asks ne if I can take someone to college. Now generally with very limited exceptions I don't let others drive my car, especially people I don't know,. But I let this guy - who might have been hispanic - drive. I was then instantly in the back seat, without having gotten out or jumped over. (I guess my subconscious knows that good editing to eliminate unimportant details improves the movie. Or in this case, dream.)

I remember putting on a lap seat belt (as opposed to the usual "3-point" lap-and-shoulder belt) and locking it, again hearing the metallic click as it locked. Also, while in thevdream I remember that i didn't ask to see his driver's license. But I didn't bother to do so then. Quite quickly, without intervening driving to get there, he's driving out along a large road like the typical 3 or 4 lanes in each direction of a very busy highway, (but not a freeway or limited-access road, but a regular city.street) past strip malls and such.

He changes lanes to avoid right turn only ones that disappear. Then I suddenly realize he's backing up in traffic, without looking backward. Wants to go into a typical strip mall on the right, probably to pick up whoever his friend, relative, or associate is.

That's when I was woken up to take my medication. Since this was the first dream I remember in several weeks or months I decided to record it.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Re: Analysis of a dream.

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:05 am Now generally with very limited exceptions I don't let others drive my car, especially people I don't know.
Good. Don't.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 am
Tdarcos wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:05 am Now generally with very limited exceptions I don't let others drive my car, especially people I don't know.
Good. Don't.
Yeah, but you should have been in my dream to tell me that. Why weren't you there, and where were you, anyway? Probably sleeping on the job, as usual, I'm sure.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I guess my subconscious knows that good editing to eliminate unimportant details
!!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

What did you eat the night before this dream, TDarcos?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:25 am What did you eat the night before this dream, TDarcos?
Road kill, probably. I'm too tired to remember. Maybe it was Mexican food, that gave me gas. Something that travels well, perhaps. (Okay, okay, enough road puns. Sometimes I get CARried away.)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The next dream I remember can be found at Analysis of a Dream II.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I asked ChatGPT to interpret your dream:
Dream interpretation is a highly subjective field, but I'll do my best to provide some possible meanings based on common symbolism.

Driving a car in a dream is often interpreted as a symbol of one's ability to navigate through life. In your dream, you were driving a station wagon, which can represent practicality, functionality, and family matters.

The fact that you were not wearing a seat belt, despite always doing so in real life, could be interpreted as a sign of feeling vulnerable or unprotected in some area of your life. This could be related to a sense of losing control or feeling unsafe.

The motel parking lot could represent a temporary stopping point in your journey, a place where you can rest and recharge. The fact that you decided not to get a room and instead rest in your car suggests a need for privacy and a desire to avoid being "tied down" by obligations.

The stranger who entered your car and asked for a ride could represent an unexpected change or challenge in your life. The fact that you allowed him to drive your car, even though you usually do not allow strangers to do so, could symbolize a willingness to take risks or be more open to new experiences.

The use of a lap seat belt instead of a 3-point lap-and-shoulder belt could represent a sense of compromise or settling for less than what you truly need or want.

The highway and strip malls could represent the many options and distractions that life presents. The fact that the driver changed lanes and backed up in traffic could represent a sense of unpredictability or chaos in your life.

Overall, the dream may be indicating a need to assess your priorities, evaluate your sense of safety and control, and be open to new experiences and challenges.