Re: Awww shit, boys.

Post by AArdvark »

So they're worth a listen?

I may check them out.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Not too shabby.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:14 pm Bugs is back! Bugs, so much has changed! May I fill you in??
Please do!

Bugs

Post by Bugs »

pinback wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:37 am Well, I dunno. What do you call 'em?
Prog metal.

pinback

Post by pinback »

That'll work. "TOOL IS THEIR OWN GENRE" -- toolbois.

There are a couple parallels between two of my favorite bands, Tool and Rage Against the Machine: Their guitarists (Tom Morello & Adam Jones) were in a high school band together, and they both play the exact same five notes, and ONLY those five notes.

Well, that's not true, Adam also plays the half note up from the root. But other than that, listen. Same five notes, in every song of both of their discographies. They are the BEST five notes, don't get me wrong, but it's quite incredible.

Flack

Post by Flack »

In case you missed it, the album leaked last night. There's a crazy Reddit thread covering the wild story, and somebody's probably going to jail over it. Apparently someone in Vegas snuck a physical copy out from Target but was unable to rip it, so he reached out on Reddit and connected with another user who was staying in the Mirage hotel. There were a lot of pictures posted of this guy driving around Vegas with the CD and it all seemed a bit like a hoax until the download link popped up.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

Update: Here's the whole story, with the original pictures: https://metaladdicts.com/site/reddit-fa ... adventure/

pinback

Post by pinback »

If you're going to commit crimes, be sure to photograph yourself the entire way through.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

He's a Tool fan, so how smart can he be, really.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

No, wait, that's Korn, not Tool.

NEVER MIND.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That's the thing about the 'hold my beer and watch this' mentality. If it isn't documented then how will anyone become internet famous?

THE
WHO CARES
ABOUT LAWS
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:59 pm First Tool song in 14 years, nobody's got a comment. Alright. That's cool. Not a "prog-rock" crowd. Well, I'll say something:

It sounds like parts of Lateralus (the album) cobbled together and they all agreed it sounded "Tool" enough, so they put it on the album. ... so there's still hope, but I was not completely whelmed by this one.
So what you are saying is that the album needed retooling? (rimshot)
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Welp, that's a good album. It is most definitely Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor's album. Where Adam Jones and Maynard seem to have mellowed a bit with age, the rhythm section takes front stage on virtually every track.

I thought they were kidding when they said every song is over 10 minutes. But it's true. There are a handful of interlude tracks (and the wacky, unexpected Chocolate Chip Trip), but the main pieces -- all six of them -- are musical journeys.

This is a much more atmospheric album than they've done before. The tracks tend to get into these long, rhythmic grooves that undulate and move this way and that. I hesitate to call it "Jam Metal", but "Trance Metal" works pretty well. After a while you are just locked into whatever 7/4 riffage and drummage they're throwing at you. Virtually all of the components of the songs are recognizable elements from earlier tunes, but crafted together in new, often surprising ways.

There are going to be no hit singles. Nothing on it hits as hard and is as instantly memorable as the radio-play staples of yore, like 46 & 2, Aenema, or even the more recent, longer Vicarious. You are simply ushered into Tool Land and after the initial confusion, you settle right in for the ride, a ride on a lumbering metal tank with triangular wheels and a turret blasting pentatonic scales across the landscape for 86 minutes.

Rating: TOOL out of TOOL. Welcome back, boys.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I found myself in a tough position this week as I felt like Pinback deserved first dibs on a review, knowing full well that I would agree with his opinion. I was right.

Fear Inoculum doesn't have any singles -- not in a "oh, but they tried!" way, but in a "y'all want a single, say fuck that" sort of way. Tool's gonna Tool, and that's what we got here; art, pure and simple. There aren't a lot of bands with big enough fan bases that can eschew radio play and simply play what they wanna play, but that's what Fear Inoculum sounds like. No constraints, no restraints, and definitely no radio singles.

Like Pinback said, there are riffs so reminiscent of earlier Tool songs that at times I had to remind myself I was listening to new material and not demos of earlier songs. A minute into the Pneuma and you'll swear you're listening to Schism all over again. This is a pattern that repeats; then again, repeating patterns appear frequently in math, in nature, and in Tool.

7/4 thumbs up.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack has excellent opinions, I just realized. Always liked that guy.

The best thing you can say about the album is, other than all the crazy crap, it has exactly six new songs. Six! After thirteen years! But it doesn't feel lacking.

(And after the single, and the two others that they've been playing in concert for the last year or two, that's three new songs we got to hear today. Okay, when I put it that way, now I'm kinda pissed.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

RealNC wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am No, wait, that's Korn, not Tool.

NEVER MIND.
I want to make sure we have a consensus here - can we, as a BBS, agree that Korn fans are dumb and Tool fans (except when committing crimes) are smarter?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

About five years I went to see Korn and Slipknot in concert. Tickets were free. While we were in line for beer I heard a Slipknot fan say, "pshhh, look at all these asshole Korn fans." I thought it was really good that Slipknot fans found someone to look down on.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I dunno! This is a new world to me!

So, I have a theory that the character of The Cat in Red Dwarf is a positive male influence because it maaaaaaaaaaaybe makes aware nerds aware of dressing in something than other than a t-shirt in jeans.

I don't know about Korn and Tool, I am NEW TO THIS WORLD. So I wanna learn.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

The first Korn album is considered to be the first nu-metal album, quickly followed by a slew of bands like Deftones and Staind that helped define the genre. After several years of grunge in the early 90s, Korn's first album was a nice change. The problem was, the first album had a few filler tracks, the second album had even more, and they've released like a dozen. By the time they had released their second album I had already moved on to Deftones and that was around the time I discovered Sepultura and Fear Factory which are totally different conversations.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

In this thread, Flack has acknowledged attending a Korn and Slipknot concert and said something positive about Korn's first album. This is honestly the ballsiest thing I've ever seen done on the Internet. To be fair, Flack may be getting away with this because some of the most incendiary and randomly aggro members of this BBS are no longer actively with us. Still, I'm impressed. The way pinback has let his Tool thread turn into a general Korn discussion thread without a word of protest is also the most gentlemanly thing I've ever seen him do.

All this heroism makes me, too, want to be brave. So, Flack, I'll ask you: is the first Korn album something I should listen to due to its historical importance? Is it something you'd recommend everyone experience, even if just once? Full disclosure: there's a good chance I won't actually listen to Korn's first album no matter what the answer here despite my keen and genuine interest in the subject. I just have no promises left to give. You see, I once promised a girl more than twenty years ago that I would read Interview with the Vampire, and that definitely hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'm in the process of assembling a media bucket list without even realizing it.