Pinback should like this: Shit the Bed 12/10 Hot Sauce

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Re: Pinback should like this: Shit the Bed 12/10 Hot Sauce

Post by Flack »

I'd like to see it. I'd like to possibly review some 8-bit TA/IF games, both new and old.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Flack wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:24 pm I'd like to see it. I'd like to possibly review some 8-bit TA/IF games, both new and old.
That would be great! I already trust your opinion on movies so I'm really looking forward to reading some more IF reviews from you as well. I'll send you a PM with the URL. It's pretty barebones as we haven't moved any old content yet, but you at least can see how the site is developing. I ended up compromising on the reverse chronological order thing (I rationalized this by thinking of it as substituting for the old "What's New" page/section), but at least the author pages are still alphabetical. I still have my pride!

My plan is to next build out the section/feature pages, and I was actually thinking of asking if you might be interested in helping with a special, secret project that'll hopefully end up being a nice surprise for ICJ. All I'd need from you is a bit of writing about a text adventure that I think we're both fans of. Send me your email address if you want to hear more. Jizaboz, if you're reading this, I'd like to get you in on this as well. I could spill the beans over PMs, but I'm assuming Jonsey reads those...especially now.

Oh, and just so we remain on topic, let me know how much hot sauce you'll need per review. The stuff you guys like isn't cheap, either. It looks like I'll definitely need to set up a Patreon.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm What the [expletive deleted] are you talking about? What "one free Amazon® order?"
Oh I'm sorry, have you not gotten a free Amazon order each month since you've been over there?
If somebody was going to give me a free Amazon order, I'd see what the limit was and order accordingly. Not order somerhing for someone that's been rude and nasty to me.
Pinback has been 100% nice to you.

This reminds me of when I first met Andrea and wanred to send her something. She was afraid to tell me her address (I found out later she had recently come out of a bad relationship). I said that's ok, all I need is the city and zip code of any nearby post office and could send it General Delivery. She had never heard of it, and was surprised when she could go to the post office, show her driver's license, and just pick up something like that.
How is she these days?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm What the [expletive deleted] are you talking about? What "one free If somebody was going to give me a free Amazon order, I'd see what the limit was and order accordingly. Not order somerhing for someone that's been rude and nasty to me.
Pinback has been 100% nice to you.
In case you forgot, Pinback called me a homo using the f-word this board translates into maggot. That wasn't nice.
Jonsey wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:This reminds me of when I first met Andrea...
How is she these days?
She's been dead for many years now. I believe I mentioned it when it happened.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 pm In case you forgot, Pinback called me a homo using the f-word this board translates into maggot. That wasn't nice.
That wasn't directed toward you. I wish there was a song about being so vain that you probably think things are about you, because I would definitely quote it right now.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Why must you poke the lyric monster?

Ice Cream Jonsey

I know I have done at least two IF reviews that aren't linked in one single, easy to reach spot. So those would be good candidates to add to the new site for starters.

I bought the new version of Anchorhead and the new game Thaumistry by Bob Bates and I could try to write reviews for them.

Ok, domain bought!

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:14 pm I know I have done at least two IF reviews that aren't linked in one single, easy to reach spot. So those would be good candidates to add to the new site for starters.

I bought the new version of Anchorhead and the new game Thaumistry by Bob Bates and I could try to write reviews for them.

Ok, domain bought!
Fantastic! I'll expand on this more later, but one thing I wanted to tell you is you don't need to feel like you HAVE to write new reviews in the old style. I get that you're a well-respected man in the IF community (and a multiple XYZZY Award WINNER!) and have friends you don't really want to offend as well as young IF authors who look up to you who might be one overly negative review away from ending it all. Your well-deserved fame and success inevitably must bring a certain level of responsibility. I've read your 2012 XYZZY Awards reviews and you could definitely use that format for Trotting Krips in the future. You don't have to use numeric ratings or be nitpicky in order to write a good review. Ben, Flack, and I are fully capable of being the hatchet men here. Just call us the Hammers of Not God! And if anyone ever gives you grief about being associated with us or about anything we've written, just tell them you can't put bridles on wild mustangs. Or stop people from being rude on the Internet.

Still, I do want you to rain holy hell on a Twine game at some point.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:25 am
Tdarcos wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 pm In case you forgot, Pinback called me a homo using the f-word this board translates into maggot. That wasn't nice.
That wasn't directed toward you.
I call bullshit. Don't try to kid a kidder or con a con man. I was editing and practicing Spanish, and Pinhead err I mean Pinback, responded to me with the Spanish word for homosexual that I mentioned above this board censors by changing the English version to maggot. It was a direct response to me which makes it personal. Otherwise, who the fuck could it been ditected to?

Oh by the way, I thought this was a response ftom Jonsey rather than Pinback. I'm too tired to edit it to rephrase.
I wish there was a song about being so vain that you probably think things are about you, because I would definitely quote it right now.
A Carly Simon song, I think. Oh yeah, "Coming Around Again/Itsy Bitsy Spider." Nobody should take snything I say in this message personally, because...

————
I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again
- Carly Simon - Coming Around Again / Itsy Bitsy Spider
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I wish there was a song about being so vain that you probably think things are about you, because I would definitely quote it right now.
A Carly Simon song, I think. Oh yeah, "Coming Around Again/Itsy Bitsy Spider." Nobody should take snything I say in this message personally, because...

————
It's coming around again
This is either the greatest Tdarcos post of all time or the greatest post that has ever been. I appreciate you, Paul!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:35 pm I call bullshit. Don't try to kid a kidder or con a con man. I was editing and practicing Spanish, and Pinhead err I mean Pinback, responded to me with the Spanish word for homosexual that I mentioned above this board censors by changing the English version to maggot. It was a direct response to me which makes it personal. Otherwise, who the fuck could it been ditected to?
In this case, nobody. I listen to replays of a Miami-area radio show from the late '90s. I believe you've had a conversation with one of his most notorious callers. The host is dead now, but back in the day he used to get a lot of crank callers. He was in Miami, and was gay, so a lot of Cuban listeners would call up and just yell maricon! and hang up. He of course didn't care, and used it to his advantage, such as his impromptu call-in poll when discussing what words properly described a good-looking (at the time) celebrity: Was Ricky Martin "pretty", "cute", "beautiful", or "maricon!"

You can guess which one won, going away.

I just think it's fun to yell maricon! Also it's one of the few words you can still say on this BBS without it being changed to something less objectionable.
Last edited by pinback on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ice Cream Jonsey

bryanb wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:30 pm I've read your 2012 XYZZY Awards reviews and you could definitely use that format for Trotting Krips in the future. You don't have to use numeric ratings or be nitpicky in order to write a good review. Ben, Flack, and I are fully capable of being the hatchet men here. Just call us the Hammers of Not God! And if anyone ever gives you grief about being associated with us or about anything we've written, just tell them you can't put bridles on wild mustangs. Or stop people from being rude on the Internet.
Well, a few years ago I made the decision to try to not be mean on the internet for no reason any more. There were a few reasons for it but I'm also not the same guy I was 20 years ago, hell, none of us are. I don't always succeed but it's something I am trying for and I think it is more rewarding to try to be funny without it. Like Seinfeld and his lack of swears.

And then sometimes no matter what it works out badly anyway. Pinback was playing a game on Twitch.tv last night and I was in the chat. So was one of the developers, which I did not know. Well, I knew he was there but not that he was the guy that made the game. Anyway, the game displays a random number seed in the top left corner and I didn't know that was what it was with the text: SEED: (some number). I thought it was the amount of space seeds the PC was carrying around. We made many silly puns about it! Well, I did and Pinback made the best one. Anyway, the dev guy (who I did not know was the dev guy) writes at one point something like, "Ah. You're one of those funny guys." Or something. Anyway, that is how even against my best desires, I accidentally became the arch enemy of a guy that made a video game anyway; I am certain he hates us, hates us all.

pinback

Post by pinback »

(The developer in question spent all day in DAMAGE CONTROL on reddit and steam forums, so in this one (1) particular case, I feel that we/you were not the problem.)

(The damage control was not related to my Twitch stream.)

(Dammit.)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 pm

————
It's coming around again
This is either the greatest Tdarcos post of all time or the greatest post that has ever been. I appreciate you, Paul!
So I guess you're saying you give it a rating of 12 on a scale of 1 to 10? :)