How (not) to fuck up in Spanish

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

How (not) to fuck up in Spanish

Post by Tdarcos »

I was listening to a radio station on my Android tablet - apparently Android devices have built-in radios which you can access as long as you plug in a wired headphone (which the radio uses as an antenna) - and I was listening to 94.7 when I accidentally pressed a button or bumped it or something but it switched to a Spanish language station.

"That fucker," I said to myself. On second thought, since I had tuned into a Spanish station I should figure out how to say that in Spanish. Well, I have Google Translate installed as an app so I don't have to open a new tab in my browser. So that translates to "Esa maldita," but I do a reverse translate, and all I am getting is "that damn." What kind of shitty cursing is that? Weaksauce obscenities. But, through some tries, I got "Que jodido," which reverse translate confirms is "How fucked up."

So that'll do. At least that one isn't totalmente jodido like the first one. Reminds me of an episode of Leave it to Beaver where Eddie Haskell tells Beaver to tell his Mexican friend, tienes una cara de cerdo, or something similar, telling him it"s a compliment. It means "you have a face like a pig," a pretty nasty insult. Trusting Eddie Haskell is like putting a pederast in charge of a girls elementary school, someone is bound to get screwed.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Re: How (not) to fuck up in Spanish

Post by Tdarcos »

Another one: "Go fuck yourself" becomes Vete a la mierda which reverse translates as "fuck off," which is close enough.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Lost in translation

Post by Tdarcos »

Now, if you want to say "With all due respect, please go fuck yourself," which is actually similar to a line I used in a book, it translates to con el debido respeto, por favor, jódete. and back as "with all due respect, please fuck yourself."

A better translation would have been con el debido respeto, por favor, anda tu vete a la mierda which translates back the same. Only problem is, double reverse translate drops "anda tu," which changes the translation. Tal vez sea redundante en español.

Tdarcos

Ler's not forget...

Post by Tdarcos »

Our most famous indication of disgust: Prefiero comer mierda de un plato en Walmart.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Si puedes leer esto sin tener que usar Google Translate, eres mucho mejor en español que yo.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yesterday I went to another local Mexican market that also has a kitchen. For some reason when I ordered shrimp tacos the cook showed me the ticket and asked “Cameron?”

Glad I knew what the word means..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 pm Yesterday I went to another local Mexican market that also has a kitchen. For some reason when I ordered shrimp tacos the cook showed me the ticket and asked “Cameron?”

Glad I knew what the word means..
Mi querido amigo Jizaboz, a quien quiero mucho, por favor ten paciencia. Necesitas explicar el significado de la historia, no lo entiendo. Intenté buscar la palabra y aparentemente el Traductor de Google no la conoce o la has escrito mal.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jesus H. Christ I need to check translations more closely. Jizaboz, while you are my friend and I like you, you're not my boyfriend! (I don't go that way.) So please ignore where the previous translation says I love you, it was supposed to say that I like you a lot. I thought I checed it. My bad, I guess.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

ROFL espera, aguanta amigo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz, as I wrote (in Spanish) you never did tell me what they meant by "cameron" as I couldn't find anything in Google Translate.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah I probably didn't spell it right, but it's the Spanish word for "shrimp".
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:15 pm Yeah I probably didn't spell it right, but it's the Spanish word for "shrimp".
camarón

pinback

Post by pinback »

Maricon!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Cursing rarely seems to make sense when doing a literal translation to another language. I speak three of them, and pretty much the only insult that comes to mind that has a literal translation across all three is "fuck you". That one seems universal.

For most curse phrases you need localization, not literal translation. "Suck my dick" for example becomes "lick my ass" in German. They just don't say "suck my dick" as an insult. You can say it, and it would make sense and everybody would understand, but it would be weird. Like telling someone to "grab my balls" as an insult in English. It makes sense, you can understand it, but it's not an insult people use.

"Fart at our balls" is a Greek example ("our" is the royal "my" in this phrase.) Makes no sense in other languages. This would most probably be localized to "kiss my ass" or "suck my dick" in English, although both of these lack the implication the phrase carries (I'll let you figure that one out yourselves though.)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:04 amMaricon!
In case you ever want to know why I've called you "someone that's been rude and nasty to me,” remember this, and how you called a bedridden man whose had a leg amputated a fàggot[*]. Despite the fact that you know nothing about my sexual orientation: Remember that for a long time. I know I will.

[*] Holy Christ, the censor on this software changes f-a-g-g-o-t (without the hyphens) into maggot. So I'll change the word.

————
That I can change the word
I would be the sunlight in your universe
- borowed from Eric Clapton, If I Could Change The World