Stranger Things Season 3

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Stranger Things Season 3

Post by Flack »

George Lucas once said that he enjoyed writing the second and third Star Wars films more than the first one because in the first one he had to spend so much time building the worlds, and in the next two he got to play in them. In A New Hope they spend a lot of time explaining the Force and by Jedi, we just get it.

By the third season of Stranger Things, nobody is all that surprised when monsters from the Upside-Down re-enter our dimension with bad intentions. The adults are slower to accept things ("Why is this happening? There must be another explanation!") but the kids are pretty much on board from day one. Inter-dimensional creatures, kids with psychic powers, and death and destruction are pretty much the norm for this troop of Goonies.

Season 3 is eight episodes long, with each episode (except the last) running just under an hour. Combined, the episodes have the feel of a single long movie. A good editor could come in and cut this into a two-hour movie, but I don't think you get this kind of budget for a 2-hour movie, so an 8 episode season it is. Netflix certainly didn't skimp when it came to sets or special effects.

The final episode felt like such an ending that I am surprised to learn they're making Stranger Things 4.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Re: Stranger Things Season 3

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 pm By the third season of Stranger Things, nobody is all that surprised ... adults are slower to accept things ... kids are pretty much on board from day one.
Flack, this is the state of human existence. When I was born, we had direct-dial national telephone service, color television, automatic transmissions in cars (I had been driving for over 20 years before my sister taught me how to drive a stick), air conditioning, automatic elevators, vaccination for many major diseases, and transistor radios, among thousands of other things. This was the state of the world when I was 12 or so, in 1973.

Since then we've added digital clocks, personal computers, DNA evidence, cell phones, microwave ovens, the Internet, smart phones, compact fluorescent lights, led lights, high-definition television, and so on.

A child born just before 9/11, say in 2000 or early 2001 is a young adult of 18 or 19, and has lived in the world of "since then." As I have no knowledge of the days of manual telephone service, radio being the only form of broadcasting, or people dying of polio, the children of the millennium have no knowledge - and possibly no understanding - of a world where people actually had to find a pay phone to call when traveling, and had to carry change and large amounts of cash or travelers checks - credit cards used to be very hard to qualify for. Many of them might have never even seen a pay phone in person, let alone used one. They may wonder how people sent e-mail back in the 1960s and 1970s, not knowing that email didn't exist at all until after 1969 and wasn't available to the public until the late 1980s or 1990s.

I learned how to use a slide rule, a mechanical device used like a calculator, that were sold in dime stores for $2. Today if you actually wanted a slide rule they're a specialized item and cost about $100. No one would seriously use a slide rule now for doing calculations but in 1969 it was good enough to enable humanity to travel to the moon and back. And while you can still obtain travelers checks at a bank - useful when traveling in areas where credit cards can't be used because phone service is spotty - very few people bother to get them since the introduction of the prepaid debit card.

Point being, the person born into a world usually accepts the world as it is. Adults may have difficulty accepting changes to that world. Personally, it took me several years to understand DNA evidence, and one day I was working with a linked list when suddenly I finally "got" the concept of pointers even though I had used them for years without really understanding them.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

For the most part, I agree with you. My son was born in 2001 and my daughter, 2005. My son and I were recently talking about old BBSes and how they were different than today's internet. I was trying to explain what it was like to download a small game for hours on end at 300 baud and at the end of the conversation he said, "at least you could play something else while it was downloading." I forgot that he has no concept of a computer that doesn't multitask. My kids travel quite a bit and they can't fathom what airports were like prior to 9/11.

For most kids their age I would say the payphone is a great example, but for my kids specifically it doesn't work because I own a payphone, so they've been exposed to the concept.

About a month ago someone on the radio said that most millennials don't know who Richie Cunningham is. I found that te incredible so I asked my kids and sure enough, they had no idea who that was. It's funny because my kids are exposed to way more retro television shows than most kids their age. My niece is 30 and I remember when she was a teen I asked her if she knew who Mr. T was and she had no clue.

All that being said, I think there's a big leap between payphones and monsters from another dimension coming to destroy your town once a year. But maybe not -- maybe once you meet someone with psychic abilities, that becomes the norm and every time they use their special powers to smash someone or throw a car at them you just kind of say, well, there they go again!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Flack wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 am"at least you could play something else while it was downloading." I forgot that he has no concept of a computer that doesn't multitask.
See? Even your kids know you should have bought an Amiga!

Flack

Post by Flack »

In 1983?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

See? Even your kids know you should have waited 2 years and bought an Amiga!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 am About a month ago someone on the radio said that most millennials don't know who Richie Cunningham is. I found that te incredible so I asked my kids and sure enough, they had no idea who that was.
Flack, I'm 58 years old, and if i didn't read TV Tropes I'd have no idea who Richie Cunningham is. I did not watch the first season of Happy Days, so I didn't get to see Richie walk upstairs to his room and never come back.
Flack wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 am All that being said, I think there's a big leap between payphones and monsters from another dimension coming to destroy your town once a year.
If an Eldrich Abomination comes along and starts eating people, we'd take precautions and perhaps try to kill it, but except for very stupid people we would not try to deny it wasn't there.

Consider a sexually active man, circa 1973. He meets women and in many cases, goes home with them or brinfs them to his place. These women are either using a diaphragm or on the Pill, so the twoof them enjoy a nice time having sex bareback, since the worst thing you can get are gonorrhea or syphillis, and these formerly serious or sometimes fatal diseases are now cured with a shot of penicillin.

Flash forward 20 years, now we have herpes simplex II, which while it is a mere irritant, is incurable. But we also have AIDS, a sexually transmitted disease that requires precautions such as use of condoms. We also are trying to find ways to treat or cure the disease.

So, Flack, when the Eldritch Abomination of HIV/AIDS showed up, that "eats" people, did we (as a species) run in terror and deny its existence, or did we take precautions and try to kill it? Do most people take AIDS as a fact of life and just something to avoid, or do they live their lives in fear that it will attack them?
Flack wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 am But maybe not -- maybe once you meet someone with psychic abilities, that becomes the norm and every time they use their special powers to smash someone or throw a car at them you just kind of say, well, there they go again!
Exactly. When a thing exists, and it's a problem, we try to find ways to respond to the problem. When banks in the U.S, were held liable for all fraudulent charges, they found sophisticated ways to reduce their risk and potential losses. Banks in the UK, however, were generally not liable for fraud unless the customer proved he did not cause it. As a result, UK banks never bothered much on implementing anti-fraud measures as they had successfully dumped the risk of loss on their customers.

US banks saw fraud as a "me" problem, had to worry about and fought against it, and so most customers don't worry about credit card fraud; it's not their problem. UK banks saw it as a "your" problem, customers have to worry about credit card fraud, and so most banks there don't worry about it, it's not their problem,
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:40 am
Flack wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 am About a month ago someone on the radio said that most millennials don't know who Richie Cunningham is. I found that to be incredible so I asked my kids and sure enough, they had no idea who that was.
Flack, I'm 58 years old, and if i didn't read TV Tropes I'd have no idea who Richie Cunningham is. I did not watch the first season of Happy Days, so I didn't get to see Richie walk upstairs to his room and never come back.
You are thinking of Chuck Cunningham. Richie Cunningham was the star of the show.
Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:40 am Consider a sexually active man, circa 1973.
I quit reading at that point, sorry.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Consider a sexually active man, circa 1973. He meets women and in many cases, goes home with them or brinfs them to his place. These women are either using a diaphragm or on the Pill, so the twoof them enjoy a nice time having sex bareback, since the worst thing you can get are gonorrhea or syphillis, and these formerly serious or sometimes fatal diseases are now cured with a shot of penicillin.

Flash forward 20 years, now we have herpes simplex II, which while it is a mere irritant, is incurable. But we also have AIDS, a sexually transmitted disease that requires precautions such as use of condoms. We also are trying to find ways to treat or cure the disease.

So, Flack, when the Eldritch Abomination of HIV/AIDS showed up, that "eats" people, did we (as a species) run in terror and deny its existence, or did we take precautions and try to kill it? Do most people take AIDS as a fact of life and just something to avoid, or do they live their lives in fear that it will attack them?
What's next? I guess you just put your dick in and it explodes.

--Eddie Murphy

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Also, AIDS.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

So anyway, Stranger Things Season 3 was pretty good.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am only on the second episode. But luckily it seems like I don't need to have seen the whole thing to dislike this thread! There's a lot to dislike!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I scrolled through this, not reading any of it, because I wanted to mark it read, and because I am currently BINGING the entire show. If we keep up our current schedule, I should be able to join this discussion in... let's see, should be done season 2 by Tuesday night... if we do two a night, that'll... some time on the weekend.

Thank you for your patience.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Wait, are you saying things can be spoiled?

pinback

Post by pinback »

I did not read whatever Flack just posted, but will read it by this time next week, when I should be caught up. Thank you.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I have three more episodes to go, which I will knock out today, and then will be prepared to discuss all of the Stranger Thingses.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 am Wait, are you saying things can be spoiled?
Don't spoil Season Three yet! I need about another week!

I had a remote control installed into our (non-working) fireplace that is now 100% working. This upset her. So I need a couple days to do whatever it is to get on her good side. Then we can finish Stranger Things 3. I'm sorry I am so bad at this! Marriage, I mean!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

How does repairing a fireplace upset a spouse?

THE
HANSEL AND GRETEL
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'm now done, and I now realize this thread had nothing to do with the show.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Surprise, surprise