Anime

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

RealNC

Anime

Post by RealNC » Tue May 28, 2019 6:45 am

Even though I liked Dragonball as much as the next guy, I'm not huge on anime. However, I have now changed my mind in a complete 180 fashion. This is the best thing ever:

I've downloaded all 20 episodes. The voice actors gave very few fucks at the start, but completely stopped giving even single fucks after episode 8 or so.

AArdvark

Re: Anime

Post by AArdvark » Tue May 28, 2019 4:43 pm

I actually turned up the volume for that video. Can I assume that was not the original dialog?

it certainly made the show better.

THE
VOICEOVER
AARDVARK

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Wed May 29, 2019 3:27 am

The Japanese original was just some generic and bland children's show with ghosts. When they did the English dub, they told the studio to pretty much do whatever they wanted to make the show watchable by western audiences. The studio in turn told the voice actors to do what they wanted. So they just came up with their own vague script and most of the lines are improvised. The dub was approved, and I suspect whoever did the approving was either high as fuck that day, or they didn't speak English that well and didn't figure out how offensive the humor in the dub was.

So this is in fact the official English dub of this show. And it actually aired on Cartoon Network like this (with some bleeps to censor the f-bombs), back when Twitter didn't exist yet to cancel and ruin everything. It's marvelous.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed May 29, 2019 7:19 am

I will never understand how people who don't know what Twitter is react to Twitter outrage. I would like to see a documentary on it taking place in real life sometime.

"Guys! These tweets!"
"Okay, let me blackhole all traffic to and from Twitter from the office and -- "
"No, you don't understand! These tweets! There's so many!"
"Well, most of them are teenagers going ONE/SEZVENHUNDREDTWENTYTWO because it cuts off after 240 -- "
"YOU DONT UNDERSTAND! THESE. TWEETS!"
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed May 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Well I certainly approve the show if it pisses people off.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 pm

What are your thoughts on Ranma 1/2 ? This is easily one of my favorite anime shows I enjoyed more than DB at times.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Fri May 31, 2019 5:17 pm

The Funimation dub of Shin chan is in the exact same mold. They kept asking the Japanese side "is it REALLY ok to just make constant jokes about domestic violence?" and the only thing that was ever vetoed was a Wonder Years-style voiceover from Adult Shin. "Shin is ALWAYS 5 years old. We do not give a single fuck about anything else."

Then there's ebichu, which is kinda like an adult Hamtaro but I'm pretty sure preceded it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ebichu&iax=videos&ia=videos