Things What I Don't Like About The New BBS.

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Things What I Don't Like About The New BBS.

Post by Casual Observer »

Does "security" really matter anymore? If someone steals my credit card which has happened half a dozen times in 3 years, the company takes the hit. What's someone going to do, use my 700 credit to buy a house? Good luck with that.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

They might change your avatar to something unpleasant!

THE
MISREPRESENTED
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm Does "security" really matter anymore? If someone steals my credit card which has happened half a dozen times in 3 years, the company takes the hit. What's someone going to do, use my 700 credit to buy a house? Good luck with that.
Well in this context, it could potentially wipe out the entire forum.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Flack wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 pm Well in this context, it could potentially wipe out the entire forum.
Wouldn't that be a tragedy. Where else would billy go to annoy people.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Casual Observer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:43 pm Where else would billy go to annoy people.
Home.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Let's not sidetrack from what the point of all of this is: ICJ uploading the doodle AArdvark made of me into the avatar vault.

ICJ: any updates on uploading the doodle AArdvark made of me into the avatar vault?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Can we load avatars into the PhpHphp vault?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 am I don't think it's a security risk*. Avatars should upload to /forums/images/avatars/upload and both the avatars and avatars/upload directories should be flagged non-execute.

(*In theory allowing users is a security risk. Just getting this out of the way for the Semantic Twins.)
It's up now. I couldn't understand why I couldn't find it until I realized I had been looking in the Wordpress directories and not the phpBB3 directories.

I would like everyone to ignore this ugly incident and give me whatever else you guys want as avatar options.

BryanB - I am in a place where I can start creating the new trottingkrips site.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:50 am BryanB - I am in a place where I can start creating the new trottingkrips site.
Excellent! I apologize if I put too much emphasis on having a May relaunch -- I just wanted us to have a goal to strive for. I think with the old site any time we tried to set a deadline for anything we failed miserably. "Cutthroats" is still our next Game of the Month as far as I'm concerned. It's coming any year now!

I'll be entertaining guests next week and may be a little sparse until mid-June but will still try to keep in touch. Let me know if you'd like any input on any site design decisions. I wish I could say I had a concrete idea on how I wanted the new site to look, but I don't really. One of the best things about having a text adventure review site is that our prospective audience isn't that multimedia-oriented to begin with. We could probably get away with starting a FTP server and uploading text files to a reviews directory if we had to. Admittedly, we'd probably fail to introduce any Twinos to the joy of parsers that way.

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, quick update. I had mentioned that all the capers were over, but there was a thing that went on this week that has made it so I haven't been able to spend much time on the sites and the BBS.

My friend and co-worker was working on site this week and he is staying with my wife and I. Just been some 6AM - 10PM days so far.

The avatar should be uploaded for Billy, though. That one I did. I guess I should verify that it could be found.

Next up is the post edit timer for Flack (and everyone).

And then after that I will install a second version of Wordpress on this server so that we can have it be the new Trotting Krips site (and we can use trottingkrips.joltcountry.com) and I'll get BryanB the creds. All of that should be very doable given a couple hours after this week.

Sorry for not being around! I do want to do these things and I appreciate everyone still coming here while I've been away.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pmThe avatar should be uploaded for Billy, though. That one I did. I guess I should verify that it could be found.
Yes, it is up and can be found. I actually tried it out some time ago but found the image very unnerving, so much so that it was triggering my trypophobia response so I opted to hold off on it until something else comes along.

Thank you for everything, you're doing a fine job here.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pmThe avatar should be uploaded for Billy, though. That one I did. I guess I should verify that it could be found.
Yes, it is up and can be found. I actually tried it out some time ago but found the image very unnerving, so much so that it was triggering my trypophobia response so I opted to hold off on it until something else comes along.

Thank you for everything, you're doing a fine job here.
You're very welcome. Recently I had a chance to install phpBB3 over phpBB3 on the request of Retro, who had been asking for it for a long time and after I finally did so, never visited the site again. So I'm glad this worked out a little better. The image definitely looked different after being uploaded to the BBS and made an option for an avatar, so let me know if there's anything else that might work and I'll prioritize getting it uploaded ASAP.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

trypophobia response

Oooooo guess what crszy doodles Iminna do next!

THE
HOLES!
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

At a pixel based level, isn't all of this setting off a little trypophobia?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pmThe image definitely looked different after being uploaded to the BBS and made an option for an avatar,
No, the image looked fine uploaded as an avatar, this was entirely my fault as I should have thought it through a little more prior to making the request.

Ice Cream Jonsey

No one is at fault here! Possibly Aardvark for his pain-inducing cartoons.

ChainGangGuy, do you see it in the same way we do?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Can we get spoiler tags?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Can you please add this image into the avatar vault as I believe it best describes my overall popularity here and contribution:

thank you

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You must have a built in handle, the way you stir things up here

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I did a lot of drinking yesterday.