Where teh hell is the drunk base?

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC

Re: Where teh hell is the drunk base?

Post by RealNC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:28 am

Hey you guys. Just a question. Hypothetical. What would your reaction be if I told you that the last time I drank *any* kind of alcohol was 2 years ago, and that I only got drunk twice in my life?

Just hypothetical, remember.

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 am

I would go into the kitchen and fix myself a piping hot cup of Herb Ox-brand sodium-free granulated chicken bouillon. But I was going to do that anyway.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 am

I would report you for going off topic.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:01 pm

RealNC: if you're not being a bitch about it you can do whatever you want. I don't understand it, but it's OK.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:39 am

So this week I have been focusing on bourbon and American whiskey. I've also shifted my beverage spending in the last two weeks in that direction as well as I heard there has been a lot of new and interesting things happening on that front. I decided the best place to start would be the Heaven Hill sampler pack since I want to thin down the open bottles a bit before cracking open any new ones. I purchased a full sized bottle of Maker's Mark because I want to reexamine it at a later date and I also purchased a full sized bottle of Elijah Craig even before trying the 100ml sample I already own from the pack because I feel like I am an Elijah Craig drinker. I can't quite explain why I felt that way, but going into the beverage store and purchasing a full sized bottle of Elijah Craig felt completely natural to me.

Elijah Craig. The nose and palate weren't anything too surprising for a bourbon: red apple, cherry, honey, charred oak, a little cinnamon at the end and caramel. While nothing really stood out in that department, I can say that the overall arrangement of the tasting was very pleasant and in nice proportion. I tried it neat and then with a splash of water and I can't really tell where the sweet spot is for me so I will have to experiment further in the future with that. It went down pretty damn smooth with a bit of feistiness from the younger barrels that in my opinion added an extra level of character to the whole experience. Elijah Craig used to have a 12 year age statement on the bottle but recently, due largely to the bourbon boom, has decided to change it to a non age statement mix of 8-12 year old barrels. I would like to purchase an age statement EC at some point just for the comparison, but I think bourbon is best when it has a little bit of fight in it. I was surprised when I read on the test tube that it was 47%, it tasted a bit closer to a 45%. The thing that stands out for me the most here is that the overall experience was warm and cozy and lip smackingly tasty. 5/5

Larceny. Fresh baked wheat bread, honey, and rich ripe oranges. A splash of water opened up the oranges but drowned the rest of it so I think I'll be drinking it neat from now on. I can't quite place why I didn't really care for this one as much. It's quite nice, went down really smooth, just a little too boring for me? One of the advantages to wheat in a mash bill is that it makes it more mellow or something according to the box the sample pack came in. I don't know? Nice, but not for me. 4/5

Pikesville. I'm sampling this for the first time as write these reviews. Right out of the bottle it's a bit much, everything is so loud that it's difficult to discern the individual elements. However, add just the tiniest splash of water and let it sit in the glass for a minute or two and WOW everything just takes off. Black pepper, ginger, mild clove, burnt toffee, there's also a sweetness from berries and mellow green apple. The charred oak is really the centerpiece of this wonderful drink, like when you have a really intense craving for a jolly rancher and you finally go out and get some and you are just going to town on it. The char is just so wonderful and complex you just want to explore it from all angles. I was a little intimidated by 55% at first, I had to look at the container again to reaffirm since I still don't believe it, but it feels more like a vibrant 45%. Wonderful. 5/5

So my conclusion so far is that you can't go wrong with Heaven Hill, what a magnificent line of beverages they offer.

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 pm

The Happiness Engine wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:01 pm
RealNC: if you're not being a bitch about it you can do whatever you want. I don't understand it, but it's OK.
Billy Mays wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 am
I would report you for going off topic.
I'm just trying to help Billy out. He's digging a hole for himself the depth of the Mariana Trench, and I'm trying to leave breadcrumbs.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:38 pm

RealNC wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 pm
I'm just trying to help Billy out. He's digging a hole for himself the depth of the Mariana Trench, and I'm trying to leave breadcrumbs.
Please elaborate.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Tonight! Gin.

Black Button Citrus Foreward gin with a splah of vermouth. Real martinis later.

Tasting notes: ICE CUBES MUST DROWN!
floral nose and hints of

DIE, ICE CUBES!

Like sipping cold -pressed florists .

Those ice cubes think they're safe now but Noah's gin flood is COMING BACK!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:21 pm

I thought you said you like my reviews, but here you are just mocking them? Well that's just mean. There's only one thing I can do now to drown all of my sorrow and disappointment at how all of this turned out.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 pm

He's not mocking you

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:45 pm

JoeCartoon and gin. 2 great tastes that go great together

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Are you saying that you like my reviews? Yes or no. I need to know right now.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Right now! Yes, I like your reviews.

How can your reviews become EXCELLENT reviews?

drink five (5) drams before posting!

THE
TAKES ONE TO KNOW
AARDVARK

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Bernheim Original. Another wheat. Dominated by caramel, toffees, some maple syrup, wheat bread, a little bit of spice and some sort of fruit notes that I couldn't quite pick up on. Likely cherry. Even the tiniest bit of water causes this whiskey to lose any excitement it had. Not a direction I would want to go again in the future and I think it would have to be something incredibly special to consider another wheat themed spirit for future purchase. That being said, it was still a fine drink. 4.2/5.

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. Sugar water. Not water in so much that it was bland or poorly diluted, just that sugar was the dominant flavor and not much else. Some oak, some char, maybe a little apple or cherry in the background, but mainly sugar. The sugar wasn't overpowering and would be in nice proportion if this drink offered anything else to latch on to. Still pretty pleasant and went down super easy. 3.7/5.

In conclusion, the Heaven Hill distillery is a fine example of American Spirits. I don't think you could go wrong with anything they bottle. I'm looking forward to further exploring the Elijah Craig line of bottleings and I will definitely be purchasing a full sized bottle of Pikesville Straight Rye Whiskey in the near future. I see myself possibly even becoming a rye fanatic, similar to how ICJ is with peat, it was just so jubilant and lively. Additionally I learned that there are two main variants of rye: the Pikesville is a Maryland variant which is predominantly characterized by fruitiness and there is also the Pennsylvania variant which has a higher emphasis on spice. I'm going to have to do a bit of research on the later but those should also be a lot of fun.

For now, I am concluding American Whiskey Week and will retire for the rest of the weekend with a nice bottle of Ardbeg 10. Cheers.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:06 pm

I for one am utterly impressed by how quickly Billy has developed such a sophisticated pallette. I've been tasting wine for decades and still don't have it like that. Billy, maybe you should consider a career change to sommelier.

Anyway, tonight: box wine and a Jameson's whiskey sour.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:21 pm

There's no right or wrong answer as it is just basic pattern recognition that is entirely subjective to the individual consumer. Smell something, taste something, focus on isolating individual elements, and then scan your brain to match those sensations with things you've tried in the past.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:00 am

Oof, one dram of Ardbeg 10 later and I am already feeling the effects of overindulgence from today's drinking. A bit bloated and sluggish. I believe that even the Ardbeg was one too many, it tasted like white wine with a pretty strong smokey finish, some wintergreen mint in there, and a tiny bit of walnut. This is an unfortunate turn of events as I am already in the process of sobering up as I write this. I thought this outcome could be avoided through pacing oneself and adequate hydration but that has only proven to delay the inevitable and I am now fully in the midst of a booze depression. I'm calling it quits for tonight.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:24 am

Billy Mays wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:00 am
This is an unfortunate turn of events as I am already in the process of sobering up as I write this. I thought this outcome could be avoided through pacing oneself and adequate hydration but that has only proven to delay the inevitable and I am now fully in the midst of a booze depression. I'm calling it quits for tonight.
Hah, amateur.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Tonight!

Well,this afternoon actually. Thousand Island merlot.
A rainy cold Sunday. Ribs grilling out on the deck and North Country wine in the gullet.

Notes of black cherry, currant grilled cheese, iron filings soaked in fruit juice and just a hint of the bottom of those wicker snake baskets they use in India.

Mmmmm

THE
NOBLE NOSE
AARDVARK

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Four Roses Single Barrel. The nose is incredibly complex. I'm getting peach cobbler, plum, ripe strawberries, cherry cordial, orange zest, gobs of gooey toffee, caramel apple, nutmeg, cinnamon, a mellow charred oak, vanilla bean pudding. Everything in perfect harmony and balance.

Tasting it I immediately get hot apple pie with the tart apples, the soothing cinnamon and the hot buttery crust, crème brûlée, cherry soda that is more cherry than soda, an almost overripe peach like the kind that can still hold its shape but completely explodes in your mouth on the first bite, fresh squeezed lemonade, dark chocolate (85-90% cocoa). Pepper. Ginger. Caramels, toffees, and butterscotch for days. A slight eggnog moment in there. There's a brief cotton candy note I've been chasing around but it keeps eluding me. Butter pecan ice cream. It finishes on a Belgium waffle, imagine the brown crusty bits of waffle that has perfectly absorbed all of the butter and syrup and you bite into it and for that one brief moment everything in your life is absolutely perfect. Add a little bit of strawberries and whipped cream, and a very mild smokiness to the experience and you come close to how perfect the Four Roses Single Barrel is.

There is no limit to this bourbon's generosity, it just keeps giving and giving and giving. It's 100 proof and it goes down so nice and easy with a Kentucky hug at the end. This stuff is one trending hipster blogging about it from becoming impossible to find and an absurd price hike when you do. This is my new favorite drink and as such I feel the need to extend my rating scale to reflect that. 5a/5