Great Moments in Computer Programming

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 5853
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:15 am

In the previous screed, one section reads
And that simply allows the provisioning and management of the people involved, it does not guarantee you get quality work or that some managers aren't incompetents or bastards. (If you've ever worked for a boss that was a bastard you know it.)
This should read
And that simply allows the provisioning and management of the people involved, it does not guarantee you get quality work or that some managers aren't incompetents or bastards. (If you've ever worked for a boss that was either or both, you know it.)
"The lessons of history teach us, if they teach us anything, that no one learns the lessons that history teaches us."

User avatar
AArdvark
Posts: 8487
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 6:12 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by AArdvark » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:32 pm

nt

User avatar
Ice Cream Jonsey
Posts: 22389
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:44 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 am

I wish I could express the fucking rage I have at Atom and sublimeText for introducing this dumb shit where - to change settings like keybindings - you have to do it BY editing a text file. What a bunch of fucking assholes, Christ I hope this trend dies.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

User avatar
Ice Cream Jonsey
Posts: 22389
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:44 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:08 am

I get paid twice a month and pay bills then. I usually throw a lot of purchases on my credit card for the points.

I love having 10 minutes to have my bank and CC sites up before they log me off. It's like spinning fucking plates. Why can't there be an option that lets me say it's a personal computer? And make it ... two hours? Why is a shared computer not only the fucking default for EVERY SYSTEM EVERYWHERE, but there's no concept of a personal computer?

Why did IBM call their computers the IBM Public Computer back in the day? They started this!

Fucking webshit assholes.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

User avatar
Ice Cream Jonsey
Posts: 22389
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:44 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:05 am

I have been trying to buy a Kindle Unlimited subscription for my mom for two days. In both cases, Amazon has:

1) Locked my account
2) Reverted my recent change so I go back to my zombieworld account, which I no longer want to use
3) Invalidated my password

All because I want to give them free money.

I cannot give over the amazing stupidity of the average piece of web garbage. Jesus Christ. It really is something when I find 4 or 5 bugs in other people's garbage before I go to work.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

User avatar
RealNC
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 am

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by RealNC » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 am

Those "futurists" always talk about the approaching singularity. IMO the singularity is the point where all the complexity and abstractions of modern software will implode and everything becomes a huge, big bug where nothing works anymore so we return to the 80s.

User avatar
AArdvark
Posts: 8487
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 6:12 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by AArdvark » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:41 am

My wife was complaining because her W10 machine at the bank keeps on blue screening for NO reason. This is while waiting on customers who want their welfare checks cashed NOW. They's be a liquor sto across the street and they caint be waitnin fo no computer to be all bootnin back up.

Sorry, that went bad in a hurry, but she gets called all manner of names because of the failures of Windows 10 and I hate it.

THE
APOLOGETIC
BUT REAL
AARDVARK

User avatar
Jizaboz
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:00 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Jizaboz » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:50 am

AArdvark wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:41 am
My wife was complaining because her W10 machine at the bank keeps on blue screening for NO reason. This is while waiting on customers who want their welfare checks cashed NOW. They's be a liquor sto across the street and they caint be waitnin fo no computer to be all bootnin back up.

Sorry, that went bad in a hurry, but she gets called all manner of names because of the failures of Windows 10 and I hate it.

THE
APOLOGETIC
BUT REAL
AARDVARK
I may get a bit TDarcos here as I am not a Windows 10 user yet, but that sounds more like a hardware issue. I had a Windows machine that would bluescreen and reboot and random that drove me crazy until I finally pulled one of the RAM sticks out to swap and it never did it again. Bad RAM!

User avatar
AArdvark
Posts: 8487
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 6:12 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by AArdvark » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 am

Huh, well..I'll mention it but it'll take the corporation years to come out and troubleshoot the computers. If it can't be fixed by the remote IT-guy-takes-over-your-machine method then it probably wont get fixed.

THE
FOREVER
WORK TICKET
AARDVARK

Casual Observer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:24 am

This thread doesn't have to be always about complaining about computer programming, right? Gotta give props to Bing search engine for this cute feature. Woke up this morning to a search engine wishing me happy birthday.

In 20 years of using google, it's never once wished me happy birthday even though it knows everything about me including where I've been every hour for the last decade. Google wishes itsself happy birthday every year with their stupid doodles so could easily have a personalized doodle for me but no, they never thought of that.

Great job Bing! You're not only the best place to search for free porn videos by far, you made me smile today.

Image
Image

User avatar
RealNC
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 am

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by RealNC » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm with Google on this one. I don't want a machine wishing me happy birthday. And what if I die just before my birthday and someone close to me uses my computer*? The "Happy Birthday, Nikos!" it spouts out is going to be very inappropriate.

* For the sake of this argument, let's ignore the weird Japanese porn they'll find on it.

Casual Observer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:12 pm

RealNC wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm
I'm with Google on this one. I don't want a machine wishing me happy birthday. And what if I die just before my birthday and someone close to me uses my computer*? The "Happy Birthday, Nikos!" it spouts out is going to be very inappropriate.
Yeah, but I already got happy birthday notes from my Allstate agent, Grubhub, Leafly, and an eye doctor I saw once at a lenscrafters ten years ago. I just think its kinda novel for a search engine that I use almost 100% only for porn has wished me happy birthday before my wife or parents even did. I've long since given up the idea of privacy or that these systems won't try to personalize to me. Google isn't not doing this because they give a damn about our feeling of privacy, I think those egghead engineers just didn't think they needed to do it. Bing is really an also-ran in the search industry so clearly they're trying to be at least moderately innovative. Google is arrogant, they don't think they even need to make it easy to copy image urls or watch porn.
RealNC wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm
* For the sake of this argument, let's ignore the weird Japanese porn they'll find on it.
Great point, Jap porn is fucking weird. First, why is it all censored? Second, what's up with all of the family incest game shows? Fathers fucking their daughters in saunas? Goddamn weird freaky shit.

Casual Observer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Update: I also got a happy birthday message from the "Sawmill Creek Woodworking Community", a small forum that I logged into I think once. Fuck you Google (this doesn't mean that I want to have sex with the tech giant or it's server farms, Paul).

User avatar
Jizaboz
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:00 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Jizaboz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:12 pm
RealNC wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm
I'm with Google on this one. I don't want a machine wishing me happy birthday. And what if I die just before my birthday and someone close to me uses my computer*? The "Happy Birthday, Nikos!" it spouts out is going to be very inappropriate.
Yeah, but I already got happy birthday notes from my Allstate agent, Grubhub, Leafly, and an eye doctor I saw once at a lenscrafters ten years ago. I just think its kinda novel for a search engine that I use almost 100% only for porn has wished me happy birthday before my wife or parents even did. I've long since given up the idea of privacy or that these systems won't try to personalize to me. Google isn't not doing this because they give a damn about our feeling of privacy, I think those egghead engineers just didn't think they needed to do it. Bing is really an also-ran in the search industry so clearly they're trying to be at least moderately innovative. Google is arrogant, they don't think they even need to make it easy to copy image urls or watch porn.
RealNC wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm
* For the sake of this argument, let's ignore the weird Japanese porn they'll find on it.
Great point, Jap porn is fucking weird. First, why is it all censored? Second, what's up with all of the family incest game shows? Fathers fucking their daughters in saunas? Goddamn weird freaky shit.
Gore is also way more taboo here than there. It’s never censored here or there completely, but there were ratings “blocks” on things like Wizard of Gore above R in the 60s in the US.

And god forbid you get caught with weed in Japan! The censorship thing may actually be so that yen will be spent on nightclubs or girlfriends to see that kind of action. That isn’t exactly helping their population lately, but hey who am I to judge?

Casual Observer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Jizaboz wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:19 pm
Gore is also way more taboo here than there. It’s never censored here or there completely, but there were ratings “blocks” on things like Wizard of Gore above R in the 60s in the US.
Never seen that before. Whoh, that shit is nasty. I'll go as far as bondage or rape shit but chicks with open wounds being fucked to death is a bit too far.
Jizaboz wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:19 pm
And god forbid you get caught with weed in Japan! The censorship thing may actually be so that yen will be spent on nightclubs or girlfriends to see that kind of action. That isn’t exactly helping their population lately, but hey who am I to judge?
Interesting point. I was wondering why all Jap porn is censored, I figured it was because us white guys like it and don't want to pay but your point makes sense. Personally I'll never ever pay for porn, if somehow they are able to scrub it off the internet then I guess if I have to pay it'll be for real sex. Seems like no matter how many expensive dinners I buy it doesn't increase the sex/dollar ratio of my wifey relationship.

User avatar
Tdarcos
Posts: 5853
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:15 pm
…Personally I'll never ever pay for porn, if somehow they are able to scrub it off the internet then I guess if I have to pay it'll be for real sex.…
"If they removed porn from the Internet there'd only be one website left, and it would be called 'Bring Back the Porn'."
"The lessons of history teach us, if they teach us anything, that no one learns the lessons that history teaches us."

User avatar
The Happiness Engine
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by The Happiness Engine » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm

All Japanese porn is censored because their laws were written by post-war American Army guys. Then one enterprising man suddenly realized "A tentacle IS NOT a penis!" and basically here we are.

User avatar
RealNC
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 am

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by RealNC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Why is thread now about porn?

User avatar
AArdvark
Posts: 8487
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 6:12 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by AArdvark » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Because bitching about Microsoft gets old

User avatar
RealNC
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 am

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by RealNC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:31 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:35 pm
Because bitching about Microsoft gets old
If there's one thing that never gets old, it's bitching about Microsoft. Been doing it since 1995.

Post Reply