Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Lysander wrote:Nobody cares about audio quality.
Unfortunately this is true. Once you get to my age (50) I've probably lost quite a bit of the high end of my hearing. I mean, I listen to music using cheap $6 speakers or a set of headphones and I can't tell, the music usually sounds very good. I can't tell any difference between music I've heard in other venues including a TV with good speakers.

I'm sure I'm the equivalent of a cretin when it comes to detecting audio quality.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: (Microsoft has) sort of admitted that they make the worst graphical user interfaces in the world, that they will continue to do so, and that they are proud to do so.
Which partly explains why for Windows 8 they are switching to a tablet UI with Metro, converting the desktop to an "app," and plastering the ribbon interface over everything. I'm hoping this is just Microsoft's way of slowly reversing the trend from UI's back to simpler, less complicated contextual inputs. Which leads to the tagline for their next OS...

Windows 9 - Welcome back to the command line!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Note to self: to get rid of the incredibly stupid file replace shit in Windows 7, you need to install Classic Shell, and then have it only do the File Replace thing.

Some keywords, although this never works:

windows 7 copy file paste replace confirmation delete
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Note to self: to get rid of the incredibly stupid file replace shit in Windows 7, you need to install Classic Shell, and then have it only do the File Replace thing.
As I've already discussed with a friend, Windows 7 will be my last "defacto" Microsoft OS. Once Windows 8 comes into full swing, I'll be upgrading to Ubuntu for my everyday computer needs and using Windows 7 for games.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ah, gmail.

Searching for [Automation] (brackets included) in gmail brings up both the word Automation without brackets, and the word automated. How the fuck do I tell this overdesigned piece of shit system to search what I fucking tell it for?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Brackets? What about quotes?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

So there's a few singles that I got introduced to while I had the pop punk station on at work. I will go to Youtube, bring the song up and hit "play" while the song is in a non-co-workers-can-see-it-browser.

I finally decided to make a Youtube playlist. A playlist! So I can tune out and have the songs play over and over again. Now keep in mind, these are almost all bands that have had one, MAYBE two albums released.

I just saw a thing today where Youtube told me that one of the songs is "limited" to how many times you can play it in a Playlist. Limited. This going-nowhere nothing band. LIMITED.

Assholes, if I wanted limited music availability, I'd go back to the nineteen fucking fifties!

So anyway, I need to get to the 1950s.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Searching for [Automation] (brackets included) in gmail brings up both the word Automation without brackets, and the word automated. How the fuck do I tell this overdesigned piece of shit system to search what I fucking tell it for?
As Bruce pointed out, quotes overrides every other quirk of the auto correct process and returns the exact value. So it'd be "[Automation]" and that is what gmail or google would return (kudos to them for keeping commands common across products).
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I just saw a thing today where Youtube told me that one of the songs is "limited" to how many times you can play it in a Playlist. Limited. This going-nowhere nothing band. LIMITED
I'm a bit infuriated that anyone who grew up and took active part in the BBS era, would feel okay with using a ridiculous amount of bandwidth (video, audio and whatever back end is required) to listen to a song (via a repeating playlist at that). Dude! Local copies! After playing "Planetary Conquest" through a BBS on a 4200 baud modem, then dialing into AOL via a 14.4k connection, I've never been able to take for granted the amount of bandwidth video and audio need to stream at full speed (because of file size... Not a QoS, "these bytes are different!" mentality).

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote:As Bruce pointed out, quotes overrides every other quirk of the auto correct process and returns the exact value. So it'd be "[Automation]" and that is what gmail or google would return (kudos to them for keeping commands common across products).
Using quotes stops it from giving me the word "automated" as a result, but it does not respect the brackets when I search for "[Automation]".

Just saying. In case anyone from Gmail comes here.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm a bit infuriated that anyone who grew up and took active part in the BBS era, would feel okay with using a ridiculous amount of bandwidth (video, audio and whatever back end is required) to listen to a song (via a repeating playlist at that). Dude! Local copies!
Well, I don't know if I like the songs well enough to buy them. I need to hear a song 25 times before I decide if it is a keeper.

The one video for the one song also has a really hot girl in it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The great mass of terrible UI is being developed by Google these days. Everything they do is wrong, stupid and awkward.

The latest failure on these stupid fucks is with something I call "gstatus." Or: Google Chat Status.

You USED to be able to just click under your name and enter some status.

Now you have to click the green dot near your 6 pixel by 6 pixel profile picture (why the fuck is that there now?) and then click on "Custom Message" which is halfway down the giant list that pops up and then enter your text.

Google is fucking terrible.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Now you have to click the green dot near your 6 pixel by 6 pixel profile picture (why the fuck is that there now?) and then click on "Custom Message" which is halfway down the giant list that pops up and then enter your text.

Oh, you're one of *those* people...

No offense intented :-)

Ice Cream Jonsey

This one really pisses me off. It's a Yahoo!. It... wow, the rage.

OK.

I have an older version of Yahoo! Instant Messenger installed at work. It was not my decision to use Yahoo!. I hate their products.

The version on my work computer lets you click on a person, then click on a conversation archive. Instantly, a list of days appears, and you can go to ANY day instantly, and see the IMs for that day.

With this NEW version... in other words, they changed it so it works this way... you click on a person, go to conversation history.... and it shows the last few IMs.

Big deal, right?

Well, to get to the rest of them you have to hit "show more conversations."

There is no FUCKING way... because these fucking MISERABLE RETARDS CHANGED IT... to instantly go to June 10th 2009 or whatever and see what was said.

This ought to be the terrible first implementation, and the original way the improvement. But, inspired by Facebook's attitude about how the important things are NOW, Yahoo destroyed their already-terrible IM client for this stupid shit.

I just can not believe how much energy is being spent to make basic computing fucking impossible.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Now you have to click the green dot near your 6 pixel by 6 pixel profile picture (why the fuck is that there now?) and then click on "Custom Message" which is halfway down the giant list that pops up and then enter your text.

Oh, you're one of *those* people...

No offense intented :-)
Louis is talking about new stuff that doesn't quite work yet.

I am talking about stuff that used to work, and then some dumb fuck changed it.

This would be like if you took Hugor and made it so that you can't type any more, you have to use the character map.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Confirmed, they took out basic functionality. I hate Yahoo! so fucking much:
Description
This article explains sorting message archives by date, and also how to search conversations in Yahoo! Messenger.

Resolution
At this time, it is not possible to sort the Conversation History by date within Yahoo! Messenger. There are two workarounds:
You can access the Conversations folder in Yahoo! Mail, which includes the ability to sort by date.
You can also use the Search box in the Conversation History window to search for specific keywords.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Now you have to click the green dot near your 6 pixel by 6 pixel profile picture (why the fuck is that there now?) and then click on "Custom Message" which is halfway down the giant list that pops up and then enter your text.
You missed the best part, which is that where the text box used to be to enter your status, there is now STILL a text box, but which is now for "searching people", and when it can't find the "person" you typed in (because you typed "My Ass Feels Like Ass", because this is where you used to enter your gstatus), it assumes you want to write a new email to a guy named "My Ass Feels Like Ass" and fires off the new mail screen.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

All this work is being done and they are actively making UIs which were finished.... unusable.

Why is this being done?

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, you can just type on the gstatus itself again. I swear this was not there a week ago, but Pinback informed me.

Let's get on gmail and exchange gstatus with each other! !

pinback

Post by pinback »

My Ass Feels Like Ass
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I really wish I could take the people who have destroyed the programs I liked and show them this thread and see their smug fat fucking faces slowly go into a smug fucking grin of self-delusion