Where teh hell is the drunk base?

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

pinback

Re: Where teh hell is the drunk base?

Post by pinback » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:48 pm

(By the way, I still think you're making all of this up, but I'm enjoying the show.)
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:32 pm

pinback wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:48 pm
(By the way, I still think you're making all of this up, but I'm enjoying the show.)
I'm not making any of this up, I bought a lot of alcohol that I am using to get drunk and then rate my experiences here. How is any of that difficult to believe? Explain to me what your theory is as to what you believe is going on here and then ask yourself if that sounds any crazier then just some rando getting drunk and then posting about it on a forum.

I'm bumping my Dalwhinne 15 score up to a 4.5 and my Aberfeldy 12 score up to 4.7

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:41 am

We should make a distinction between Moonshine (which, as Pinback said, is not moonshine and is sold in liquor stores) and moonshine (lowercase), which is made in stills and still available if you know who to ask.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:16 am

Get it? STILL available?! Oh man.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:20 am

I swear Billy is channeling The Commander.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:40 am

Billy Mays wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:32 pm
I'm not making any of this up, I bought a lot of alcohol that I am using to get drunk and then rate my experiences here. How is any of that difficult to believe?
Because nobody does that. No non-drinker sits around and then one day thinks, hey, I know what I'll do today out of nowhere, I'll spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on top-shelf liquor and get hammered every day!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:30 am

pinback wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:40 am
No non-drinker sits around and then one day thinks, hey, I know what I'll do today out of nowhere, I'll spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on top-shelf liquor and get hammered every day!
That's not entirely how it happened if you go back and read the conversation going on here. I wanted to try a single malt Scotch so I inquired here.

I originally only bought one bottle, the Ardbeg 10 ICJ recommended, but enjoyed that so much that I went out and bought the other bottle ICJ recommended and the two bottles THE recommended, and I enjoyed those so much that I went out and bought others which I enjoyed and so on and so forth like a giant yolo snowball.

I don't get hammered everyday, most weekdays I don't drink anything and when I do it's just a dram before bed, and on the weekends I try to maintain a constant state of mild inebriation which at first didn't take much at all to achieve but now regrettably (?) is taking about 1 drink every 2 hours. Sometimes I'm not careful and slip in drunkenness, which is nice, but never so far that I can't right the ship before becoming hammered.

I tried my best to keep this concise, let me know if there is any part of this story you need me to delve deeper into.

Also, today is the day I decide to open up and sample the Oban 14 I purchase awhile back. Review to come. Cheers.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 am

pinback wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 pm
Billy Mays wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:00 pm

4. I know from the few times I drank in the past that if you keep pushing the euphoric feeling that spirits provide that you will overdo it and get violently and painfully ill
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here.
Puking your brains out.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Oban 14

On the nose I'm getting orange zest, lush red apple, toffee, and a bit of prickliness from the alcohol. This prickliness goes away on the palate as it is smooth as silk, polished and luxurious. The taste reinforces the previous notes and adds rich fig, a mild lemonhead candy, sweet cantaloupe and a savory lip smacking taste like when you just had a bite of fresh mango and you're like "man, that was delicious" and you smack your gums around to savor every last bit of it. Not mango in intensity, but that vibe you get when eating one. A brief arrival of creamy mint, like the mint part of an andes, that is so brief and subtle it is gone before you realize. A little bit of salt in the background like waves dancing playfully against the shore coupled with an invigorating oaken mellowness. Add to this a mild spiciness that culminates into a smooth smoky finish, nothing like an Islay peated malt, but a much more subdued and intimate smoke that lingers on with the toffees and caramels and fading citrus notes like a dream stuck in your subconscious. A truly magical experience. 5/5

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 pm

I take it back on the dram bit. All the other whiskey review sites have the word dram in every third sentence. Mays is just parroting buzz words like actually, literally and dram. He is making me decide to buy some bourbon as my next liquor purchase though.

THE
MONKEY SEA
MONKEY DOO
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:09 pm

What "dram bit" are you talking about? It's like you're confused about which base you're in.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:14 pm

keep up, man this is getting to be like a chat room

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:53 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 pm
Mays is just parroting buzz words like actually, literally and dram.

Actually, you can't parrot individual words, that is like accusing someone of parroting the dictionary. Dram for example is the correct word to use for a small pour of whiskey (around an ounce and half) intended for casual sipping, so when I say dram I am just using the correct word for the amount and implied method that I am drinking it. As opposed to a shot which is a small amount (usually an ounce) you throw back in one go.

AArdvark wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 pm
He is making me decide to buy some bourbon as my next liquor purchase though.
Oddly enough my next purchase is going to be a full sized bottle of Maker's Mark, I am convinced that I either missed something the first time around or that the 50ml airplane sample I had was shit they literally mopped up off the floor or was ruined by it being inside a plastic container (like Tdarcos was saying awhile back). I tried to find bad reviews for Maker's Mark and all I was able to find were people making pilgrimages to MM so that they could take a knee in front of the distillery.

Up next: Bunnahabhain 12.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 am

Sure you can. When I looked around to see which tasting review site you were paraphrasing I saw that everyone was throwing out the word dram. Correct term or not, if you see it often enough you're going to start using it.

THE
POLLY WANT
A SCOTCH
AARDVARK

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:17 am

So we have two possibilities here:

1. I enjoy drinking alcohol.

or

2. I am devoting large amounts of daily research into creating this bit, a bit almost nobody here likes or is convinced by, a bit which contradicts the entire internet in regards to Maker's Mark, and that with your suspicions you have also been doing research on these same sites you are accusing me of "parroting" but the only bit of evidence you have been able to find that corroborates with this theory is that I am using the correct word to describe something: dram, which is a common word used to describe what I am pouring. You are hinging your entire theory based on the word "dram"? Do I have this correct or are you waiting to drop the "claims expensive single malts are tasty, therefore lies" bombshell?

Also, with the encouragement of pinback, I decided to step up my bourbon game by making a few choice selections.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Hey Billy, can I ask you a question? Whaddya know about blended Scotch?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 pm

well...yes, but I'm enjoying the kayfabe immensely, keep up the good work, compadre.

THE
SALUD!
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Don't encourage him. Next he'll be claiming everything has a peaty/smoky flavor.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 am

pinback wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Whaddya know about blended Scotch?
Outside of the two bottles of Compass Box Spice Tree I purchased due to THE's recommendation but haven't tried yet? Nothing. Do you have any recommendations?

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:58 am

Just don't put it near the Bailey's, that's all I know.