Where teh hell is the drunk base?

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: Where teh hell is the drunk base?

Post by AArdvark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Ten years and he's just figuring this out NOW?

THE
WEEKENDS ARE
MADE FOR
BEER
AARDVARK

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm not good with patterns :-P

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:09 pm

Well there goes your gig with the Martha Stewart towel collection

THE
A-HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHA
HICCUP!
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 am
Talisker 10: Punishingly peaty that calms into bright green apple and honey before the long peppery finish. Probably my favorite of the peated malts.
Ah! This is one I haven't tried, hadn't been directed to it even though it is PEATY. I am out of scotch and wasn't planning on getting another bottle until the move next month. But your description of it sounds great, so maybe this is the one.

Do you adopt the Scottish accent while drinking, Billy? Isn't everything a little more fun to say when having a dignified glass of the best liquid on earth?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:36 pm

RealNC wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 pm
Is it just me, or does AArdvark appear to get shitfaced every other Sunday?
half of the folks who post here get shitfaced more often than that. What's your question?

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Tonight: box wine with leftover BBQ ribs then a snifter of Grand Mariner on ice for desert. People who drink only one kind of alcohol should shampoo my crotch.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm not making a video. Though the video you made mocking me has brought a smile to my face that hasn't been there for years, thank you for that.

So I switched from nestle pure life to fiji water for my scotch, I didn't think it would make a difference (and it didn't) but I figured what the hell why not.

I was able to recall what the Macallan 12 sherry oak tasted like: spiced plums and other darker fruits with higher notes of white grape, very decadent.

I've also opened a few new bottles this weekend to sample.

Glenkinchie Distitllers Edition: the nose was incredibly exciting, a bouquet of fruits that turns a bit muted on the tongue even after adding a splash of water. The old rule of letting it sit for a minute per year is vital with this one, being a NAS bottling you can still estimate that it's around a 12 year based on the other information the bottle provides. I don't really know what to say about this one, even after a couple of pours, other than it kind of reminds me of champagne, dry and grapes, without the bubbles but with a higher abv. Not bad by a long shot, I would still probably rate it as a 4/5 in the grand scheme of things, but not a direction I would want to go with future purchases. That being said, it's a fine scotch and I look forward to finishing the bottle up over time.

Dalwhinnie 15: Honey, butter, and caramel, that transitions to slightly unripe fruit, green apple and lemon, with a slightly sour and bitter finish. I want to say it has a slightly spicy and jagged burn at the end for a 15 but that could just be because I spent the entire week not drinking anything. Again, 2 pours later and I can't quite figure out what is going on with this one. It's fine scotch, probably a 4/5, but not something I would want to pursue again after finishing the bottle.

Feeling a bit defeated, and questioning my entire newfound identity as a scotch drinker, I felt like there was only one thing I could do (after taking a quick booze nap) to settle my doubt:

Lagavulin 16: Perfection. I know I've used perfection and amazing far too often in my reviews here, but now knowing what perfection actually is merely serves to highlight the faults in everything that isn't Lagavulin. Rich, deep smokiness with citrus on the nose, brief honeydew on the tongue, smokiness that builds up before transitioning to a refreshing spearmint and a complex and mild smokiness that lingers long after you swallow. There is definitely more here to discover that I look forward to finding in the future. The best way to describe it is memories of sitting around a campfire with friends, not actually sitting around a campfire with friends which is generally tense and unbearable, but memories of doing so and never wanting that moment to end. This is by far my favorite scotch and I am hard pressed to imagine anything surpassing it.

more reviews to come...

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 pm
Billy Mays wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 am
Talisker 10: Punishingly peaty that calms into bright green apple and honey before the long peppery finish. Probably my favorite of the peated malts.
Ah! This is one I haven't tried, hadn't been directed to it even though it is PEATY. I am out of scotch and wasn't planning on getting another bottle until the move next month. But your description of it sounds great, so maybe this is the one.
GO WITH THE LAGAVULIN 16 FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SACRED!!!!!!!! I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT WHEN I RECOMMENDED THE TALISKER 10!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:29 pm

I just poured a dram of Talisker 10 to take another look at it. Where I originally said punishingly peaty, a more accurate description would be peat smoke that is emphasized by tar on the open and pepper on the finish. Isolating just the peat smoke, from what I can recall, it is more subdued than Ardbeg or Laphroaig. The calming green apple and honey between the peat and then the pepper is what really sets this apart for me. Overall a pleasant experience and definitely worth the investment though it may take some time warming up to the taste.

I would still go with the Lagavulin 16.

I don't talk while drinking scotch, mainly I just like drinking scotch. I just said haggis and golf and it did nothing for me. Sometimes I think about how funny I remember Billy Connolly was.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:03 pm

I'm getting more acclimated to Talisker 10 and it tastes like a really mellow ginger beer (the non alcoholic soda version) but without the really aggressive ginger spike. Yeah, I like this a lot.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm

I don't believe any of this is happening.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:35 pm

Well, believe it because up next is Aberfeldy 12 followed by Bunnahabhain 12.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:12 pm

Gonna need some video evidence, is all.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:46 pm

Aberfeldy 12: The nose is a complete sherry bomb with maraschino cherries and orange zest also coming in heavy, ripe Georgia peaches and strong cherry licorice on the palate that transitions into banana bread, buttered raisin bread toast, and mountains of raspberry jam, some spice but very little of that. Virtually no alcohol presence at. The quintessential friendly scotch. Unfortunately it does come off tasting a bit too diluted, at the minimum 40%, and that 46% would really make this scotch pop and give some much needed character to the general overall syrupy impression of it. 4.5/5

Instead of trying the Bunnahabhain 12, I want to pump the brakes on opening up new bottles to instead revisit ones I've already tried.

As of now, the only bottles I am sure to have in regular supply once this is all over is the Lagavulin 16 and the Glenlivet 12. Others I will purchase from time to time as the mood hits me, but mainly I want to continue continue exploring what few scotch brands I haven't already purchased and then who knows? Possibly look into other countries to see what they have to offer: Habiki, Bullet, Four Roses, Compass Box, I'm sure the Irish make something good. I'm not trying any of that goofy shit the Canadians make and as far as other spirits go:

I'm not making a video. It''s not that far fetched to believe that somebody would buy a large selection of mainly entry level single malts.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:46 pm
Possibly look into other countries to see what they have to offer: Habiki, Bullet, Four Roses, Compass Box, I'm sure the Irish make something good.
You fucking newby,it's only Scotch if it's from Scotland. Otherwise it's just whiskey or bourbon.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:37 pm

He said he was going to look into other countries after he gets through the Scotch.

Please, folks, let's try to read and understand each other before firing back angrily.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:59 pm

pinback wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:37 pm
He said he was going to look into other countries after he gets through the Scotch.

Please, folks, let's try to read and understand each other before firing back angrily.
He originally said he was going to only drink Scotch not other kinds of alcohol. If he wants to open it up to whiskey is bourbon then why not vodka, Gin, tequila, beer or wine? This whole thing still seems like Billy talking out of his ass.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:39 pm

tldr

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Also, STFU Mays. Just shut the fucking fuck up.