Post by Billy Mays » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am

AArdvark wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 am
Huh. I would have never known that.

Jizaboz

Re: Where teh hell is the drunk base?

Post by Jizaboz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 pm

STFU Mays.

Today Guinness stout 12 packs were on sale so that’s what I got.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Yeah Vark, why don't you go educate yourself about drinking by watching some Youtube videos.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 am

Actually, they usually never last that long in my house

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:54 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:04 pm
Yeah Vark, why don't you go educate yourself about drinking by watching some Youtube videos.
He asked me about it and those guys seem pretty informed so I posted it, also I thought he would get a kick out of seeing those hundreds of bottles on the wall.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Water: it doesn't much matter but fridge-cold water will take room-temp scotch down to slightly cool which is a sweet spot. For water "type" it matters a fair bit less than whatever opinion you currently have about different waters, which I hope is very close to nothing.

It is definitely worth tasting both "neat" (nothing added) and with a little bit of water both to notice the change and to decide which you like better. The easiest way is to sip it neat, THEN add some water and see what happens.

A fancy tulip glass CAN help direct more of the 'bouquet' towards the nose but I just use a water glass, it's fine. A huge brandy snifter or a wine glass does the same thing.

"tarry rope" I guess is a kind of oily note? Tasting notes are about the same as wine: someone might think that, but fuck him. Smell it, taste it, write your OWN notes and THEN check what someone else thinks and see if you can taste some of those or if they're just bullshit for marketing. Michael Jackson (a different one) used to publish a great and comprehensive guide including EVERY scotch but he died. :(

Scotch kept open to air could start to evaporate some alcohol but it's going to still be drinkable 10 years later. Maybe not as great but you won't remember the difference.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 am

The Glenlivet 12 you recommended is FANTASTIC, thank you for that, so much so that I'm now taking AArdvark's advice to drink every day. I went out and purchased the entire tour of Scotland, just anything that caught my eye. Now I need to purchase a liquor cabinet.

I'm amazed to find out that tasting notes are actually real, I used to think that people were just coming up with random words from the dictionary to describe the taste of bathtub gin.

I was also surprised by how much adding a tiny cap of water really opens up the tasting notes, the flavors are a bit confined without it.

The Glencairn glasses I purchased have greatly improved my scotch drinking experience, though any glass of that shape would probably work the same.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:12 am

I'm a Balvenie guy.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:00 am

I purchased the Balvenie Doublewood 12, it looks like it's going to be a really good time. It's difficult to select single malt scotches for purchase because every review ever anywhere is inevitably going to be either a 4 or a 5 star. I purchased an Oban 14 and read up on the different regions from the package, I originally thought there were only maybe 3, so I went back and "supermarket swept" the liquor store . It was cathartic. yolo.

I was sipping a glass of Ardbeg while watching a video on the Ardbeg distillery the other day, the visitors were greeted by a man playing bagpipes, it was magical.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Well now you can play your own tasting game comparing these bottles to each other, as I started with, I think of Glenlivet as the default "scotch" and then describe others in how they relate to it. Glenfiddich is pretty underwhelming but it tended to be cheaper which let me once drink a scotch distilled before I was born, which was pretty cool.

I really liked the Balvenie Portwood 21(?), which was amazingly buttery but is now like impossible to find and impossible to afford. Scotch has gotten SO MUCH MORE expensive these last 20 years.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 pm

The Glenlivet 12 was simply amazing, at some point these bottles are going to be empty and I can't imagine that it won't be one of the bottles I choose to keep in regular supply.

I purchased the Glenfiddich 14 because I wanted to try a Glenfiddich and I heard similar things about the distillery from talking to people in the past: it's a bit underwhelming for a single malt scotch but it's still a single malt scotch so it's amazing but there are much better options available, the internet however seems to be in agreement that it is somewhere between a 4 and 5 star scotch so who knows?

The liquor store I found is amazing, they have an entire loooooong isle full of single malt scotches, a half isle for the +/- $500 bottles of single malt scotch and glass cases full of $1000+ bottles of single malt scotch, their prices are also very reasonable compared to other places I've been. There won't be any problem for me finding anything.

At first I thought it a bit odd, the neighborhood it's located in is nice but nowhere near that affluent...but then I had to take a detour once due to road construction and holy shit I thought I was going to be pulled over by the police/someone's private security force/the motherfucking CIA for just driving through there.

I do plan on dabbling with some pricey 20's once I am able to determine my favorite regions and distillers and become more experienced and can appreciate the greater complexities. At some point I heard, after the 100-300 dollar range from different sources, you see a dramatic decline in your return on investment and are just paying at that point for mainly exclusivity?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:42 am

This thread has been a lake of calm near an ocean of chaos.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:52 pm

This is one of those times when I'm glad not to be sophisticated. I drank at least 30 margaritas this week while cruising through Mexico, most of them from disposable plastic cups. Seemed fine to me.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:11 pm

After about $150 you're just paying for rarity, which can be fine if you want to know what a SPECIFIC whiskey tasted like, but it isn't "better" than an $80 bottle. Just like wine. Also "whiskey stones" are useless. The amount of cold they hold is not enough to matter and watering whiskey is a good idea anyways. If you want colder whiskey that is still neat then just refrigerate it and let it warm up a little in the glass, or store your stash in a basement/garage.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 am

It's not heretical to add an ice cube to a single malt because the best whiskey is the whiskey you like and the right way to drink it is the way you like to. Or something like that, that is what those whiskey tribe guys say and it sounds like a good rule. I personally like to take mine neat with a drop or two of bottled water after the first sip. I may try it on the rocks at some point but I think I'll just wait till at a restaurant, I'm not the driver, I order a drink neat and the waiter brings it back on the rocks but there is obviously way more than the standard ounce and a half so I decide to keep it anyways to try it.

Glenlivet 12: opens up with lemon citrus, transitions to red grapes and finishes on pear. Crisp and delightful. Over all of this is just pure excitement, a true joy to drink.

Glenfiddich 14 bourbon barrel reserve: Caramel and charred oak that transitions into a long and savory vanilla finish. Most notable is that there is almost no alcohol punch at all to this on the palate or the swallow, velvety smooth and goes down nice and warm. I've had light beers and wine coolers with more burn than this, simply astonishing.

Laphroaig 10: Intensely peaty with tropical fruit in the background, this one seriously confused me, it was like it was made by a complete lunatic...a lunatic that happens to know how to make damn fine scotch. I had to cheat a little and look up the tasting notes: smoke, seaweed, iodine, salt, mango, lemon, pear.

The Balvenie 12 doublewood: Dark chocolate and juicy raspberry notes compliment a drink that is surreal in its perfection. Balvenie is a strong contender for a future 20's.

The Macallan 12 sherry oak: Honestly I was a bit snookered by this point in the weekend so I'm going to have to say grapes and magnificent?

Talisker 10: Punishingly peaty that calms into bright green apple and honey before the long peppery finish. Probably my favorite of the peated malts.

More reviews to come...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:38 pm

This base was started for the opportunity to drunk post. Now, I do not mind all the hifalutin' whiskey reviews but I must insist that the posters be half in the bag when doing so. Therefore Mister Mays must provide two fingers evidence that he is imbibing the alleged scotch if he wishes to post those nummy nummy tasting notes. A twelve second video will suffice.

THE
JUST DO IT
AARDVAK

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Is it just me, or does AArdvark appear to get shitfaced every other Sunday?

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Saturday.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Yes.

THE
DAMN PROUD OF IT
AARDVAK

AArdvark