Starburst Arbitrage

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Starburst Arbitrage

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Another story from Amazon.com's Starburst tales.

Currently, the 54 oz bag of Starburst Original 4 flavors is $10.52 on Prime Pantry, meaning the shipping is an additional $5.99 for orders below $35.00, even if you are an Amazon Prime member. If the order of Prime Pantry items is more than $35, those items ship free even if you're not an Amazon Prime member.

However, the 54 oz Starburst Jar of original 4 flavors, is $8.33, and includes free shipping.

You can probably guess which of these I ordered. Note that while I only bought one, the price difference meant for about $1 more I could have bought two jars vs. the cost of one bag on Prime Pantry.

I've been routinely dumping the bags into the jar I had from an order some weeks ago, because the bags were usually cheaper. (Also, given my hand conditions, it's easier to close a screw-on top than a Ziploc bag, which is how Starburst stays fresh, by being in a closed container.) I'm using the (now empty) extra jar to store other tatffy products including Mamba and Hi--Chew.

Yes, technically this isn't "real" arbitrage, but I am using my knowledge of market forces - as well as Amazon's search function - to find the best price on a particular commodity. When any seller is offering the same underlying product, then it's a commodity, even when it's a brand-name product.
"With great power, comes great… electricity bill."

AArdvark

Re: Starburst Arbitrage

Post by AArdvark » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:17 pm

my knowledge of market forces

Commander Wall Street!

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:33 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm
Another story from Amazon.com's Starburst tales.

Currently, the 54 oz bag of Starburst Original 4 flavors is $10.52 on Prime Pantry, meaning the shipping is an additional $5.99 for orders below $35.00, even if you are an Amazon Prime member. If the order of Prime Pantry items is more than $35, those items ship free even if you're not an Amazon Prime member.

However, the 54 oz Starburst Jar of original 4 flavors, is $8.33, and includes free shipping.

You can probably guess which of these I ordered. Note that while I only bought one, the price difference meant for about $1 more I could have bought two jars vs. the cost of one bag on Prime Pantry.

I've been routinely dumping the bags into the jar I had from an order some weeks ago, because the bags were usually cheaper. (Also, given my hand conditions, it's easier to close a screw-on top than a Ziploc bag, which is how Starburst stays fresh, by being in a closed container.) I'm using the (now empty) extra jar to store other tatffy products including Mamba and Hi--Chew.

Yes, technically this isn't "real" arbitrage, but I am using my knowledge of market forces - as well as Amazon's search function - to find the best price on a particular commodity. When any seller is offering the same underlying product, then it's a commodity, even when it's a brand-name product.
When was the last time candy near you went stale?
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

bryanb

Post by bryanb » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:05 pm

Flack wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:33 pm
I think the only reason I know what stale candy tastes like is from trick-or-treating as a kid. That's how I learned that there are people in this world who will stash candy in their cupboard away for twenty years and then feed it to children. After a while, you start to figure out which houses to stay away from.

In my neighborhood at least, kids aren't getting the whole trick-or-treating experience at all anymore. Probably for the best, all things considered.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:13 am

Flack wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:33 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm
Also, given my hand conditions, it's easier to close a screw-on top than a Ziploc bag, which is how Starburst stays fresh, by being in a closed container.
I laughed when I read that but it is true, because it has happened.

If Starburst (taffy, not gummi) is not kept in a closed container (like sitting at the bottom of the cardboard box where the bag they were in got tipped over), it goes unusable in about two weeks to a month. The candy fuses with the paper wrapper and when you try to peel it, it stretches like, well, taffy. It also has an "old" taste of the part you can salvage. Don't ask me what "old" tastes like, I'm guessing it's another name for "stale." (And Pinback, if you reply "Good. Don't." I will hunt you down and have you, well, let's just say, Be good. Don't. )

As for Starburst gummi, you're right, once a bag got opened, since there was no way to reseal it, I had to use it all on the same day. In some cases I realized how important not allowing it to spoil was, and disposed of it within two hours. Was a dirty job, but I was willing to make the sacrifice.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 am

I will not reply "Good. Don't." because it would make no sense there. It also made no sense in either of the places you did it, but I was polite enough not to point out that you were getting it completely and wildly wrong. You're welcome.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:43 pm

pinback wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 am
I will not reply "Good. Don't." because it would make no sense there. It also made no sense in either of the places you did it, but I was polite enough not to point out that you were getting it completely and wildly wrong. You're welcome.
Oh come on! It definitely was the perfect reply when you said you were not going to watch that really sick movie again, and i threw your own words back at you.