Why most people should be in jail

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Why most people should be in jail

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:20 pm

In an earlier article I noted that for, say, 100 people from someone's high school class, in actual fact, based on estimates, about 95 of them should be in jail but in actuality, only 1 or 2, on average, will be.

Estimates are that 95% of the population has at least once committed an act which was a felony in the jurisdiction at the time and where the act was committed. For the purposes of this article, a "felony" is either (1) commission of an unlawful act prohibited by law, or (2) failure to perform a mandatory act required by law, where the act, or failure to act, is mmpunishable by jail or prison time of more than one year, i.e. at least 366 consecutive days.

This estimate may be skewed as it it is based on general legal standards, before June 26, 2003. That date is important because the U.S. Supreme Court decided Lawrence v. Texas which legalized private, noncommercial sodomy between consenting adults. Many States had laws - Virginia was one - which made consensual sodomy - oral sex or anal sex - a felony, even if it involved a married couple. That prosecution was often nonexistent in some places did not change the fact the laws were on the books.

Of course, we can add drug offenses. Posession of cocaine (except by a licensed anestesiologist or surgeon performing an operation) is a felony whether you'reusing it in the privacy of your residence or you're carrying it to sell.

Running a whorehouse (except in rural counties in Nevada where permitted) is also one (although being a prostitute or patronizing one is only a misdemeanor).

There are things you can't talk about. Making any threat against the President of the United States - even something as minor as saying "someone should kill that son-of-a-bitch" when the President appears on a TV at a bar - is a felony. 18 USC 871 prohibits."'knowingly and willfully mailing or otherwise making 'any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the president of the United States'. This also includes presidential candidates and former presidents" according to Wikipedia. This is no joke; the example I gave has happened, and has gotten the speaker an appearance in front of a Federal judge.

So if we exclude boyfriend/girlfriend, two gays, two lesbians, a married couple, and illicit lovers trysts, that 95% factor probably drops some. But there are lots of laws on the books and you don't know all of them. It's a virtual certainty you can't go a week without violating some federal, state, or local law that makes something you're doing illegal. Maybe it's only a misdemeanor, and probably you don't get caught. You might not even know.

And thats the difference between us upstanding citizens and some slime taking an all-expense-paid suite at the Graybar Hotel. He got caught, and we didn't.
"I might only have one match / But I can make an explosion."
- Rachel Platten, Fight Song

RealNC

Re: Why most people should be in jail

Post by RealNC » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:20 pm
This estimate may be skewed as it it is based on general legal standards, before June 26, 2003. That date is important because the U.S. Supreme Court decided Lawrence v. Texas which legalized private, noncommercial sodomy between consenting adults. Many States had laws - Virginia was one - which made consensual sodomy - oral sex or anal sex - a felony
So what you're saying is that someone had to propose a bill about ass fucking at some point and people voted on it?

Tdarcos

Re: Why most people should be in jail

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:39 am

RealNC wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:20 pm
This . Many States had laws - Virginia was one - which made consensual sodomy - oral sex or anal sex - a felony
So what you're saying is that someone had to propose a bill about ass fucking at some point and people voted on it?
To quote The Bridgetender, "You are absolutely correct, sir!", except they were far too prudish to say so or have the laws explicitly say what specific activities were prohibited by the law. For example, laws prohibiting bestiality - sex with animals - were almost never clearly stated either way, no, being clsgusted at the idea, instead laws made it illegal to commit the "crime against nature." Which was "wink, wink" implied to mean something other than holding a squirrel hostage and demanding its family give up its stockpile of nuts, or robbing an oak tree at gunpoint. Or maybe a fruit tree, actually. But how do they know when a tree is gay?
"I might only have one match / But I can make an explosion."
- Rachel Platten, Fight Song