ignore me, this thread is not useful

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

joltcountry

ignore me, this thread is not useful

Post by joltcountry » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:43 pm

1. I can't get into the admin panel for the site, I get a 301 moved permanently when I try to do that.
2. There was a 685MB error log in the root of the phpBB3 directly that I am downloading now.
3. There was a 68MB error log that has the same thing, which is:

Tdarcos

Re: Issues

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:04 am

joltcountry wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:43 pm
1. I can't get into the admin panel for the site, I get a 301 moved permanently when I try to do that.
2. There was a 685MB error log in the root of the phpBB3 directly that I am downloading now.
3. There was a 68MB error log that has the same thing, which is:
While I'm not sure how much data this BBS and/or your webserver - depending on how much software on your hosting you're responsible for running - is normally supposed to generate over what time period, my understanding is that webservers - and potentially some web applications - can and do generate voluminous logs. So I have no way of knowing if this is usual, excessive, or a crash log or special event. I do know that the often huge amounts of data generated by logging has spawned the development of log analysis tools.

A search on Sourceforge returns 140 hits for "log tools" and 100 hits for "logging tools." Not sure what you are looking for but its possible at least one of these open-source tools may be of some use to you.
"He blew his mind out in a car… He hadn't noticed that the light had changed."
- The Beatles, A Day in the Life

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:47 am

Sorry I wasn't thinking - chalk it off to it being 5am and I might be a little groggy from just waking up - but I forgot to add something to the above. A Sourceforge search for "log analysis tools" returns 1365 hits, while "logging analysis tools" returns 981 hits. Jesus! You need an analysis tool to summarize all the analysis tools!

So anyway, a wealth of riches awaits you and I suspect there is some jewel in there that will assist you in finding out whatever you might be looking for. On the other hand, there might not be anything of use to you there and it's nothing but a mountain of fools gold. Or, as Meatloaf sang, "You'll never find a ruby in a mountain of rocks."

However, while the logging data can provide significant information, it's entirely possible that not everything you're going to want to know about whatever error(s) caused all this error logging data to be generated can be found, and maybe what you want to know isn't even there, after all, "there ain't no Coupe de-Ville lying at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 am

RobB, he just said you have a big log!

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:33 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 am
RobB, he just said you have a big log!
Amazing.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:22 am

I think to hit this up properly, I want to note the issues I am working on:

1) Two things relating to php are adding to error logs at the rate of more than once per second. Gotta solve that for the two cases it is doing that.
2) Find where phpBB3's error log is.
3) Figure out why pasting some text seems to trigger some SQL injection attack vector that never used to be an issue
4) Figure out why I can't get to the admin panel unless I comment out some code on re-authenticating

If anyone is seeing the "Error connecting to database" issue, please let me know. I get that trying to reauthenticate to the DB and I don't know why. It's bad if posts are seeing it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:29 am

A while ago - which in this case means "less than six hours ago" - I saw the infamous white page with large black lettering which says 'PHPBB done fucked up somewhere." Happened shortly after I changed my tagline. The message footer change worked but something else faulted and triggered the database connection error. Not sure if it was reconnecting to the user control panel or going to display the message base names, I wasn't paying attention.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:43 am

I note that the errors seem to occur when I'm posting from my Windows 10 PC as opposed to now when I'm using my android tablet. I'm going to try posting my infamous "Wine Compatibility Layer" / "(non-commercially developed)" text causes JC to blow a gasket. Or maybe I should have said "let's see if that text causes JC to be crucified again!"

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:10 pm

I will be a Son of a Bitch!

Jonsey, take a look at my last two messages postings on Hugo's House of Horrors under "wierd Unix bug" on page 2.I split the message in half and both parts will post! But copy them off JC, combine them, delete the marks indicating they're quoted, and attempting to preview them causes a database error.

This is just too fucking weird for words.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:06 am

test after ht access fix

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Jonsey, if you're going to change anything, change the link in the right-hand menu for "login" so the page for doing a login is called with https so that logins are encrypted. As long as you're paying for an SSL cert, you should at least protect logons. Perhaps a check on the login page, if the value of $_SERVRR['HTTPS' ] is not empty (and if running on IIS, is not set to "off".} rhen secure mode is on.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:50 am

test

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:29 am

I can't post pages to the Wordpress site. I get a 404.

It is AMAZING to me how shitty the software is that I run this site. Wordpress and phpBB3 are fucking garbage.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 am

And Paul, no offense, but I am making a new thread and I just want to keep it as something I can look at and fix issues, please keep comments in this one, not the new one.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: ignore me, this thread is not useful

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am

test

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:39 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 am
And Paul, no offense, but I am making a new thread and I just want to keep it as something I can look at and fix issues, please keep comments in this one, not the new one.
Kinsey, you gotta tell me when a posting is on the level of "I'm a woman and my feet hurt," meaning she (you) just wants someone to (sympathetically) listen to her carp, bitch, and moan about he sore feet and her nice looking, expensive, but uncomfortable shoes. She doesn't want you to tell her to put an insert in the shoes or buy new shoes.

On the other hand, usually when men complain about a problem - or when we hear one - we are going to try to solve the problem.

So you need to indicate when you're posting a "bitch only" remark, or an actual problem you'd appreciate solutions to.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:39 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 am
Kinsey, you gotta tell me when a posting is on the level of "I'm a woman and my feet hurt," meaning she (you) just wants someone to (sympathetically) listen to her carp, bitch, and moan about he sore feet and her nice looking, expensive, but uncomfortable shoes. She doesn't want you to tell her to put an insert in the shoes or buy new shoes.

On the other hand, usually when men complain about a problem - or when we hear one - we are going to try to solve the problem.

So you need to indicate when you're posting a "bitch only" remark, or an actual problem you'd appreciate solutions to.
That's not what is going on. I need the other thread as a sort of checklist. phpBB3 doesn't do "checklists" well. It .... doesn't do anything well.

That's all. I welcome your suggestions in this thread, sir.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Additionally, the above post was my attempt at posting after I put the rewrite http to https url thing back into .htaccess. SO that worked. I am still going to clear cookies however.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Are all the problems solved??