Expedia: shit company

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Expedia: shit company

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Wife, dogs and I pile into a car and head to Taos, New Mexico for the weekend. I rented a couple nights hotel via Expedia at a place that I won't name, only because they did eventually make things right.

We get to the place. Owners aren't around. My wife explained that I rented us a Tipi on a hippie commune, so it is normal that nobody is around to check us in. Ok, no sweat, this is going to be fun. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm up for this.

We get to the tipi and... there's another couple there. INTERESTING. Well, I'll just call the owners to get this sorted out.

I can't reach them.

Now, the situation is as follows: it's 6:30PM. It is going to get down to like 35 degrees Fahrenheit in Taos. I have a wife and two dogs that need shelter and someone is in our room already. I can't get a hold of the owners. So I hop back on Expedia and rent a room in the town of Taos proper. (I won't go into the Quality Inn saying that they are "pet friendly" via Expedia and then charging me an extra $20 per dog and asking if they are "quiet dogs" while we heard douchebags watch TV all night and be douchey who presumably didn't get charged for acting like animals.)

So, whatever, these things happen. I contact Expedia to make sure I don't get charged. They - and this is the point of the story - REFUSE THE CANCELLATION.

They tried on Friday to contact the owners of the double booked place and couldn't get a hold of anyone. (Keeping in mind that I called both numbers I had for them and used Expedia's "Chat with the Owners" feature. Nothing.) They tried Saturday and was told from one of the owners who was still not on site and not in Taos that they "heard" we checked in and therefore were going to charge us.

I call up Expedia again and explain the situation. They say they'll look into it. This is all offshore help from India, by the way. The richest corporation in the history of the world has to farm out technical support for hotel screw ups, because God Forbid they keep those jobs here. Expedia tells me I'll get an e-mail with a resolution.

The resolution is that they DENIED my cancellation request. For a double booked room I didn't stay in.

I ask them if it's their official policy to side with the owners of a place if a room is double booked and management is unreachable. They wouldn't answer the question. What a bunch of pussies.

I managed to work it out with the owner directly, but I'm going to tell this story where I can because I have never seen such craven acts of cowardice than on the part of Expedia. There are a million sites that act as middlemen for hotels and flights. Use one of them.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Re: Expedia: shit company

Post by Flack » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

We've had good luck using Priceline and Kayak, and will probably avoid Expedia after your story -- not because of a fuck up, because let's face it, fuck ups happen, but their unwillingness to correct the situation.

Here is an entertaining story for you. Last year my wife and I went to a show in Dallas and stayed in a Marriott. We checked in, got our room key (Room 213), and went to drop our stuff off. My wife went to get the car while I pulled/carried/balanced most of our bags up to room 312. When I got there, my room key wouldn't work. I didn't want to haul all our stuff back to the front office and I didn't want to leave it there in the hall, so I sat there and stewed by myself.

A couple of minutes later a maid walked by and I let her have it. She used her key to open the room for me. When the door opened we both saw a dude standing there in his underwear and a woman wearing her bra and some jeans. I yelled some more about being double booked in a room and the people weren't happy either. After the maid left to go figure things out, I realized I had gone to room 312 instead of 213. I quickly scrambled back to the elevator and went to the right room, where my wife was waiting for me and wondered where I had been. I guess the moral of this story is I was very angry and tired the day I learned I might also have dyslexia.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 pm
We get to the tipi and... there's another couple there.
That's normal for a hippie commune. You should've just made yourself "at home" because you probably ruined that couple's trip as well.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Flack wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm
We've had good luck using Priceline and Kayak, and will probably avoid Expedia after your story -- not because of a fuck up, because let's face it, fuck ups happen, but their unwillingness to correct the situation.

Here is an entertaining story for you. Last year my wife and I went to a show in Dallas and stayed in a Marriott. We checked in, got our room key (Room 213), and went to drop our stuff off. My wife went to get the car while I pulled/carried/balanced most of our bags up to room 312. When I got there, my room key wouldn't work. I didn't want to haul all our stuff back to the front office and I didn't want to leave it there in the hall, so I sat there and stewed by myself.

A couple of minutes later a maid walked by and I let her have it. She used her key to open the room for me. When the door opened we both saw a dude standing there in his underwear and a woman wearing her bra and some jeans. I yelled some more about being double booked in a room and the people weren't happy either. After the maid left to go figure things out, I realized I had gone to room 312 instead of 213. I quickly scrambled back to the elevator and went to the right room, where my wife was waiting for me and wondered where I had been. I guess the moral of this story is I was very angry and tired the day I learned I might also have dyslexia.
I thought the same for me, that I screwed up. The place had names fkr their rooms that were names of Indian tribes. So I would have figured it was my screw up if it was room 111 versus 211 but in this case, well, we can't both be Apache.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 am

And it was really crappy of Expedia not to attempt to apache things up.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 pm
So, whatever, these things happen. I contact Expedia to make sure I don't get charged. They - and this is the point of the story - REFUSE THE CANCELLATION.
Here is what you should have done next. Pull out your credit card. Turn to back. Dial toll-free number. Get agent. Explain you want to file a chargeback. They will do so and the charge goes away. End of story.

This is the reason vacation purchases should only be made by credit card, never by debit card, cash, or check. Federal law limits unauthorized liability on a credit card (but not a debit card) to $50 and all credit card companies reduce that further to $0. Similar rules apply to problems with purchases. The hotel, cruise line, rental car company or amusement park cheats you or screw you over, your bank reverses the charge. I had to do one when 1&1 Internet charged me for two months of services after I told them I did not want them. Credit card company not only reversed the charge but blocked further charges. That credit card now has a negative balance due.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:11 am

I mean it was going so good until I got derailed wondering who would reverse a charge over stale cotton candy.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 am

Flack wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:11 am
I mean it was going so good until I got derailed wondering who would reverse a charge over stale cotton candy.
Excuse me, the issue was over booking a room or other space that the hotel had already rented to someone else. We're not talking about a $1.20 bag of candy, we're talking about anywhere from $40 to $250 a night.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 am

Flack was making a funny regarding your amusement park cheats comment. At first I didn't care for it, but now I really like it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Tdarcos - wait - are you being serious? You can just call credit card companies up and deny you bought stuff?

Is this true?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:02 am

What Flack wrote was funny. You on the other hand, I see only malice in that comment.