How Stupid Does Comcast Think Internet Customers are?

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

How Stupid Does Comcast Think Internet Customers are?

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm

I have been irritated with Comcast's advertisements for its high-speed internet being faster than DSL from the phone company, probably going back to the days when, well, I was getting DSL from the phone company.

Comcast delivers, well, reasonably okay 5/15 either bundled with cable TV or separately for about $50. Now, if you want the cheapest service which is faster than a 56K modem, you could get .750/.750 service with DSL from, say, Verizon for about $19.95, because I was taking it in a place where FIOS was not available (and I probably couldn't afford it) and the only options were Cable Modem over COAX and DSL over copper phone lines. And I couldn't afford $50 for Cable Internet. I loved Cable Internet, but not enough to cut back on eating to make up for the cost.

What Comcast fails to understand is that there are only two classes of people who take DSL from the phone company: (1) Those where no other service option was available; (2) those who can't afford more than $20 a month for Internet.

This excludes business customers in cities because they can afford $50 a month (if you can't afford it your business does not use the Internet to operate or requires it as a service). No serious business buys DSL if they can get Fiber or Cable, and yet Comcast still runs ads encouraging people to switch their business from phone company DSL to Comcast.

Nobody, but nobody, who isn't a captive customer, would keep agonizingly slow DSL if they had an alternative.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

pinback

Re: How Stupid Does Comcast Think Internet Customers are?

Post by pinback » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Maybe we can institute a "One Comcast thread per day" limit to go along with the 8-liner. It has exactly the same amount of chance of being adhered to.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Anyone who is poor enough to have to choose dsl can get free internet from cable and telcos i(f they are in a qualifying distressed area) from a federal program. Your area sounds real shitty so I'm sure you'd qualify. Want me to get you a list of Telcos or resellers that that sell this in your area?
free internet candidate wrote:cheapest service which is faster than a 56K modem
Nigga please, I dare you to prove that comcast delivers anything like a 56k modem speed on any plan, I'm calling bullshit on that.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm
I loved Cable Internet, but not enough to cut back on eating
...and here we are.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Anyone who is poor enough to have to choose dsl can get free internet from cable and telcos i(f they are in a qualifying distressed area) from a federal program. Your area sounds real shitty so I'm sure you'd qualify. Want me to get you a list of Telcos or resellers that that sell this in your area?
free internet candidate wrote:cheapest service which is faster than a 56K modem
Nigga please, I dare you to prove that comcast delivers anything like a 56k modem speed on any plan, I'm calling bullshit on that.
You need to read what I wrote because I never said that they did. The slowest Internet Comcast offers is at least 5MB.

What I said was the cheapest service faster than a 56K modem is DSL. Now, if there's a way to get reduced-cost Cable TV and Internet I'd be interested. Since I get SSDI I qualify for "extra help" which pays a large part of my prescriptions, $100 a month for my Medicare premiums, and $15 in "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program" benefits, formerly known as Food Stamps. This final item qualifies me to get reduced cost landline phone service for, the last time I checked, 69c/month from Verizon (or a cell phone with I think the first 200 minutes/month for free). I was unaware if there was any other communication service offered at subsidized rates, other than to families with children.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light