National Legalization of Marijuana

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Will marijuana become legal nationally or in more than 1/2 (25) states?

You may select 1 option

View results

Tdarcos

National Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Colorado legalized recreational use of marijuana in 2000. And the world didn't fall in. Now, 8 more states have legalized recreational use and are seeing millions of dollars of new revenue, apparently without the drawbacks of either alcohol or tobacco.

Estimates are Colorado alone should take in a half-billion dollars in sales tax in 2018. Personally, if I thought it would help me, I'd use it.

Anyway, given more than 15 years of successful results from this experiment, I predict that eventually marijuana will return to being legal nationwide, given the lack of serious problems vis-a-vis the other two legal recreational drugs I've mentioned.

Be aware that marijuana was made illegal on racial grounds. The reason spread around was black men would get high and go on rampages, raping white women. (I am not kidding.) That this sort of racist fearmongering has no basis in reality is why marijuana is listed federally as a Schedule I drug, one having no legitimate medical use. Cocaine, Morphine and Oxycodone, however, are classified less seriously as Schedule II, which do have legitimate medical uses.

I believe it is also possible marijuana - potentially in combination with other drugs or chemicals - might provide some means to reduce the problem of the abuse of legal painkillers. However, since federal law makes it essentially impossible to use marijuana as part of scientific and double-blind drug tests (and no drug companies can make money off of it), there is no way to determine if this is the case.

So, the only question is how long before the other states come to realize that the legalization of marijuana for adults has had low levels of problems compared to other already-legal substances.

I'd like to hear from anyone who lives in any of the recreational legal states to hear how you see things happening there.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

Casual Observer

Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:00 pm

rollback ain't gonna happen.

paul

Post by paul » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Meow!

I'll stick with catnip, thank you very much.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Runner wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Meow!

I'll stick with catnip, thank you very much.
Hopefully this is not what we're doing now.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Oh, we're doing it! Y'all got Commander's cat high!!

He much like his owner is rolling in it!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Seriously, Jonsey, you live in Colorado, what's it like there with marijuana stores? Is it true about very little issues or problems with abuse? If you've seen the TV show about the dealer on the main street of a town in rural Colorado - which I can't find the name of, I watched it on YouTube months ago - what did you think?
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 pm

There are at least six I can visualize right now within walking distance. There has absolutely not been a single incident of abuse that I am aware of. I didn't see the show you mention, but to be honest, they integrated themselves extremely well with everything else going on out here. You wouldn't know they existed at all if you choose to not partake like I do, and if you do choose to, well, you've got limitless options. LIMITLESS!!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm

A video mentions a Denver dispensary whose phone number begins "303-420"

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:10 pm

That could be any of us.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 pm

I'm only going to answer under my userid once in a general sense.

This is what buying MJ looks like in 2018 in states without recreational legality:
Of course, the exception is 80% of the end user drug buys that happen through friends/connections.

This is what buying MJ looks like in 2018 in the legal states:

This is what illegally bought weed looks like:

And this is what a package of legal weed looks like:

Bottom line: safer for the user and the community. Yeah, heavy users can get easier access to highly potent drug anywhere they like without risking arrest but it also adds options for addicts who can't smoke anymore or don't want to live the scoring life anymore. If a heavy user wants to back off or use healthier options then they can do that now. If people still want to sell drugs on the street they'll have to move to something more illegal and deal with those consequences.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Went to Denver to the first time last year.

30 minutes and a short walk from my hotel later I didn't have to visit that scary street pictured.

10/10 stars.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Actually, nobody expected the end of black market pot in Colorado or any state that legalized it for one simple reason: taxes on legal marijuana are about 35% (15% marijuana tax, 2.5% state sales tax, 7.5% Denver County sales tax, 10% excise tax) which those doing illegal sales can avoid.

Plus those who have a license have bigger overhead.

I mean, cigarettes are legal but people still smuggle them from low tax states (VA, NC) to high-tax ones (NY).

Someone pointed out marijuana is a weed, since it can grow almost anywhere in theory it should be possible for it to be available for next to nothing (10c/oz) vs. the current price of $10 an ounce.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm
the current price of $10 an ounce.
Hahaha no sir. It's more like 80$-100$ an ounce legally and about 250-300$ non-legally.

Not that I'm an expert or anything.. <cough><gag>

But yeah I agree with you.. the black market will never really go away. It will just become more marginalized.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Someone pointed out marijuana is a weed,
wow, so that must be why it's called weed.
Tdarcos wrote:
since it can grow almost anywhere in theory it should be possible for it to be available for next to nothing (10c/oz) vs. the current price of $10 an ounce.
well, because it's illegal it can't be grown almost anywhere. It's really hard to grow at scale without being caught. They fly planes all the time looking for fields of grow operations. They monitor your electricity and use infrared cameras to find indoor grows. If you're legally growing it costs tons in inspections and licensing fees. Even illegal grows on someone elses (or federal land) have costs because you have to hire people to watch it and trim it and protect it from other people wanting to steal it. If you're growing inside, you have not just the lights but also irrigation and nutrients and major ventilation systems because this stuff stinks like a skunk.

Where on the internet did you get that price figure? In WA and CA it's about $10 a GRAM or $40 an eighth of an ounce. Sadly I know this but the black market price really hasn't really changed in 20 years except for the variability of how much the guy wants to fuck you over. Before I stopped, I always enjoyed the challenge of street buying, almost a gambling like excitement of the deal. I never got angry if I got fucked over because my philosophy is that if you're doing something illegal then you need to be prepared to loose up to 100% of your investment at any time.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Jizaboz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 pm
Went to Denver to the first time last year.

30 minutes and a short walk from my hotel later I didn't have to visit that scary street pictured.

10/10 stars.
I mean, you can still buy weed in those places in Denver if you or anyone else enjoyed that aspect of it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
since it can grow almost anywhere in theory it should be possible for it to be available for next to nothing (10c/oz) vs. the current price of $10 an ounce.
Where on the internet did you get that price figure?
From a YouTube video and it's entirely possible the woman said "gram" rather than ounce. The point she was making was that weeds grow just about anywhere - lawn owners have always had trouble keeping out dandelions - then it should be possible for MJ to grow just about anywhere and thus the price should drop. Apparently this "weed" is not so easy to grow and is more like a delicate hot house flower.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Every time you're wrong you just ignore the point and add 2 or 3 new un-facts.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Tdarcos wrote:Apparently this "weed" is not so easy to grow and is more like a delicate hot house flower.
no, for once youre exactly right. The plant could grow anywhere but if you want the magical benefits then its exactly that: a fragile hothouse flower. It takes loving caring attention of a special strain to produce a flower with over 20% thc and scrumptious flavour.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm

If weed is ever legal in Paul’s state, I vote for a video of him sampling local products.

You can eat it too, man. (Not a joke. Paul doesn’t smoke or drink)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:54 am

Jizaboz wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm
If weed is ever legal in Paul’s state, I vote for a video of him sampling local products.
At those prices, you'll have to pay for it, too.
You can eat it too, man. (Not a joke. Paul doesn’t smoke or drink)
I'm aware that you can get it (THC and CBD) in food, oil, and drinks.

You don't drink don't smoke
What do you do?
Don't drink don't smoke
What do you do?
Subtle innuendos follow
Must be something inside
- Adam Ant, Goody Two Shoes

Note of correction to my first post: Colorado legalized medical marijuana in 2000; recreational was legalized in 2012.